FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
cooling the 32

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Mutilator Truggy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

chrisusan

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: cooling the 32 Reply with quote

Hi all. I am new to this hobby and I am trying to learn what I can. I just bought a Mutilator and I was wondering if it was necessary or just a good idea to cut holes in the body for cooling. I already made a small hole in the side for fuel tank access, are more needed?
Thanks.
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: cooling the 32 Reply with quote

chrisusan wrote:
Hi all. I am new to this hobby and I am trying to learn what I can. I just bought a Mutilator and I was wondering if it was necessary or just a good idea to cut holes in the body for cooling. I already made a small hole in the side for fuel tank access, are more needed?
Thanks.

The answer is it can't hurt, but it really depends on your fuel's nitro %, the outside temps and your tune.

If it's cool outside and you have too much ventilation, then the engine will cool too much and you'll never reach operating temp

same goes for if your running too rich, too rich will keep temps down and then added to the extra cooling will just keep the temps down even more for a crappy running engine.

Just keep an eye on your temps taking in the consideration of how your normally run and adjust the body if you need to.
chrisusan

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I am running 20% nitro with 16% oil as that is what was recommended to me for breaking in a new engine.
What would be the normal operating temp of this engine?
Also I am assuming the temp measurement should be taken from down the center of the head where the glow plug is?
Thanks again
JASracer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I helped out at my LHS, I always recommended that engines should run between 230 and 250. These are pretty safe temps. Normally you can go up closer to 270 without too many problems. However, a temp of 250 will give you a safe buffer. The higher the temp, the less fuel consumption and the more power you will gain.

Brands of fuel can affect engine temps. I have found that certain brands gave me lower engine temps. Sidewinder was one of these. I have heard that Byron's Gen II fuel is giving higher engine temps. But, it is burning really clean.
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes temp is taken directly down the on the glow plug area of the head.

Like JASracer said, most engines are around the 250 range as a normal temp. For me and my Force 26's they run like absolute crap unless they are 260-270 so difffrent conditions yeild different results.
chrisusan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info fellas. That helps a lot.
MonsterChevy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently depoloyed to the Middle East region where it is now getting extremely hot and humid and I'm running Sidewinder 20% and Maxy's 25% nitro. I have the drivers window completely trimmed out, the drivers windshield(2 in square) trimmed out, and about an extra 1/4 in around the head trimmed away and my temps range from 240 - 255 and no more than 275 with the fuel tank almost empty. I'm also running the OS #8 glow plugs, tried the OS R5 and A5 but then it would barely run. Hope this info helps in some way.

MonsterChevy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Mutilator Truggy All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: