FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Ravager - engine locked up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager
View previous topic :: View next topic  

mdy120

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Ravager - engine locked up Reply with quote

Just bought an used Ravager that was driven very little from associate at LHS. Any way -- started right up on starter box but servo stuck and engine revved up real fast until I could stop it. Any way - I can't get the flywheel to turn now -- it is loose at DBC but once I turn it to the top I can not get it to turn anymore. It is locked up -- Did I blow the engine or is there something I can do?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ravager - engine locked up Reply with quote

mdy120 wrote:
Just bought an used Ravager that was driven very little from associate at LHS. Any way -- started right up on starter box but servo stuck and engine revved up real fast until I could stop it. Any way - I can't get the flywheel to turn now -- it is loose at DBC but once I turn it to the top I can not get it to turn anymore. It is locked up -- Did I blow the engine or is there something I can do?

First thing is to take the backplate of and check to make sure the connecting rod is not broken...

But in all reality what your describing sounds like the normal engine pinch. All RC engines cylinders are tapered. Thats because there are no piston rings to hold compression in. The taper "pinches" the piston making a very tight seal to hold the compression of the engine for combustion.

New engines in particular will be very difficult to turn over past TDC by hand because the pinch is so tight..
mdy120

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the backplate off and respond back to you. Thank you.
mdy120

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the backplate off and the connecting rod is not broken but 2 little pins fell out and it looks like the top of the connecting rod is loose. The pins look like parts # 52972 and # 52990 on this page:
http://www.nitrohouse.com/fore%2028%20exploded.htm
Is this something I can fix or do I need to get a new engine?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdy120 wrote:
I took the backplate off and the connecting rod is not broken but 2 little pins fell out and it looks like the top of the connecting rod is loose. The pins look like parts # 52972 and # 52990 on this page:
http://www.nitrohouse.com/fore%2028%20exploded.htm
Is this something I can fix or do I need to get a new engine?

Well there will be some play in the upper conrod in a side to side motion, but there should be very little up and down play.

Well you will have 1 small pin and a spring that go into a hole on the back of the crankshaft. Thats part of the pullstarter assembly. The pin in part 52972 will be 1/8" in dia and about 1" long so if you found that part in there you would of done A LOT of damage.

The starter pin is much smaller. Something like 1/16" dia and maybe 3/16 long..It is possible that you broke the starter pin in half somehow (BTW they are part 52098)..

The only other pin in there is the crank pin it's self, The lower part of the con rod will attach to it. If you broke that then the con rod won't be moving the piston at all...

Can you post a pic of the back, that would help a lot in seeing what you've actually got...
mdy120

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that. It will be tomorrow afternoon before I get back to it. Thank you.
mdy120

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the sleeve is damaged. I think I will replace the engine and convert it to bump start like you showed me in previous posts (Paradoxmaker). I will put a Force .28 back in so 2 questions:
1: Do I just pull the clutch bell, flywheel, etc from the old engine and put on new engine?
2. Also - I accidently won a new Losi Mach 427 that goes in a Losi 8 on Ebay for very low $$.(I wasn't even trying to win it) -- Will it fit in the Ravager or my Ultra Comp?
Kelby_green

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes use the same flywheel and clutch bell. also all 1/8 engines will fit. i put a SH .28 prospec in mine but i had to make a spacer for on the bottom it was like 2mm to low and the clutch bell wouldn't line up so got some 2mm alloy drilled holes in them and drilled holes and countersunk them into the chassis
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to see some pics of the inside of the engine....
mdy120

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I will do that this afternoon and post a couple of pics. I looked last night and the connecting rod is not connected to anything at the top up toward the head. It is loose and it looks like a piece is broken off the sleeve. I don't know if I can get a picture of that unless I can take some more of it apart. If I can save this engine relatively cheap I would give that a try, but I noticed a sleeve is around $90 on NitroHouse and I can get a complete new .28 at Horizon for $115. I want to put the same engine back in the Ravenger for my son.
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdy120 wrote:
OK - I will do that this afternoon and post a couple of pics. I looked last night and the connecting rod is not connected to anything at the top up toward the head. It is loose and it looks like a piece is broken off the sleeve. I don't know if I can get a picture of that unless I can take some more of it apart. If I can save this engine relatively cheap I would give that a try, but I noticed a sleeve is around $90 on NitroHouse and I can get a complete new .28 at Horizon for $115. I want to put the same engine back in the Ravenger for my son.

Well there is actually another option, call Ofna, they have an engine rebuild program. For something like $65-$80 they will rebuild/replace the piston, sleeve, conrod and i'm not sure what else...You just have to send them the engine....
mdy120

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I will call them and I really do appreciate all the help you have given me. My Ultra Comp is running really well from the advice you gave me Paradoxmaker and i will have the Ravager going soon. As I mentioned above that I won a Losi Mach 427 on ebay very cheap. I just through a bid in there for fun and it won. Would it be hard to drop it in the Ravenger and run it until I got the .28 back from Ofna?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdy120 wrote:
Thank you - I will call them and I really do appreciate all the help you have given me. My Ultra Comp is running really well from the advice you gave me Paradoxmaker and i will have the Ravager going soon. As I mentioned above that I won a Losi Mach 427 on ebay very cheap. I just through a bid in there for fun and it won. Would it be hard to drop it in the Ravenger and run it until I got the .28 back from Ofna?

There shouldn't be any real issues except for resetting your engine spacing.
DJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

money order for $50.00 on a Force engine to replace the pis/sleeve and rod but does not replace bearings,crank,head button or case wrtiten out to Ofna Racing, and have name and address to send it back to it goes back UPS(checks take 10 days to process before we can do the work.)
mdy120

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good price. Thank you. When I get engine back do I go through break in process again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: