FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Setup Solution Thread by Russ Jones...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

wrecked

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a hyper 8.5 pro. i did pretty well last weekend racing. i came 8th out of 34 people in my class and that was only the third time i ever raced it. i am havening mainly one problem with my car on this track though. for some reason on the biggest jump on the track, this big triple, my buggy usually dosent fly over it correctly. instead of it popping up and over like it should, it just sort of hurtles over the jump real flat and low and it just dosent feel right at all. its kind of hard to explain. usually i have to get as much speed as i possibly can just to clear it. but sometimes it flys how it should and i clear it no problem. hopefully you guys understand what im saying.. what can i do to make it jump better?

thanks
Russjones42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabid, i have done some reading on the x-ray site about there new one, and the idea of having the feel of light oil off power and heavy oil on power in the front does sound good. JQ said it made his car kind of point and shoot. I really feel that if it was that much of an improvement or advantage it would be the norm by now, and maybe it will be with x-ray coming out with one, we will see.

wrecked It sounds like you may be dragging chassis leaving the face of the jump, I would raise your ride ht. and see if that helps. You can also put slightly heavier oil in the shocks but you don't want to hurt performance anywhere else.
wrecked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i have 20 weight in my shocks right now because my track its pretty bumpy and it dident work well with 30.
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ,

Yeah, when I saw the X-Ray diff in the exploded view, it looked a lot like the Tactyl II diff. I think it would be worth a shot, and if Xray is producing a similar product now, there must be something to it, IMO.

It would be great if the Xray diffs could be made to fit the Hyper 8/8.5, but Rob said it isn't likely that a design using current Xray diff dimensions would fit a Hyper...
oliver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuNNeR wrote:
Great idea, i thought of reviving the ultimate setup thread a while back but never got round to it. The problem ive been having is on low to medium traction surfaces i cant jump on the power at the exit of low speed tight corners without the back end sliding around / taily and i cant seem to put power down and clear the jumps that have not alot of run up, the car is amazing on high traction surfaces and i dont have this problem. This is the only area where my main competitiors have the advantage over me, i really struggle and fight with the car in this area. I also would like a tad more off power steering without changing the way the car handles in other areas, i fix one problem and something else arises (the ol equal and opposite reaction) The car tends to push too in the middle of low speed tight corners if i jump on the power to soon.

What do you suggest? Lay down the rear shocks some more? and try the 20 degree castor blocks to increase the off power steering? Any other things i can try?

My Full setup
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/Hyper8Pro/Hyper8%20Setups/?action=view&current=ADunHyper8Setup.jpg

Ive tried pretty much every combo diff setup goin around and the 7/5/1 feels the best to me so far and the tyre wear is alot more uniform than it was with 5/5/1, 5/5/2, 3/3/1, 3/3/2 setups, but its still not 100% uniform, im still pwing the fronts alot more than the rears.

I run heavier shock oils and front springs on high traction smooth tracks than that is on the car now.

Iwolud suggest using 0.9 or at the most 1.0 springs on the loss surfaces, i had the same problem with my 8.5 on the local track. change to 0.9 spings, I alson loosen a little the rear stabilizer bar
oliver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would suggest using standard diff, it works better than the spyder on loose surface.

I notice everyboy is using more pull on the front diff. I use to set up 7F, 5C, 3R, now im using 5F, 7C, 3R the car fells more controlled out of corners.

Using jammin super BB, thew car pops of jumps.

Another suggestion that has worked for me on the 8.5, is taking weight of, th e8.5 is heavier than the 8 ( It feels heavier too)

Oliver
Dirtywheels Max

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There not only only BBF on the market with these kind of diff.,apart xray who is upcoming whith,there is a french TEREX (Reno Savoya race them at the Farm2 warm up).I buy 2 of them but i will have to wait Spring because this is Winter here.In fact the whole name is EXXEN TEREX.I don't know
Quote:
if i can name the distributor here.
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFNA doesn't offer a competing product, so it shouldn't be a problem...
Dirtywheels Max

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familar with the cut and paste but try this one: http://www.topoptions.fr/e_commerce/catalog/index.php?language=fr
ffwd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russ this is my setup for my hyper 8.5 i think the car is behaving very well but when on power and exiting a corner it tends to oversteer(not turning tight) if you can give me some ideas to worl on the car, it would be great. The track is tight and loose.

Engine RB S7II
Clutch Hyper 8.5 cnc
Pipe Jp-1
Servos ACE 1313 steering and throtle

Front

5k on diff
2 deg camber
1 toe out
22 deg caster
stock bar 0 preload
14 mm shocks 2x1.5 45wt losi white springs
third position outside in
inside on arm
out upper arm outside on tower
7deg kickup

Center
Spider diff (3k) (it feels goods)

Rear

2k on diff
3 deg camber
3 toe in
stock bar 2mm preload
14 mm shocks 2x1.5 35wt losi white springs
third position outside in
inside on arm
2deg antisquad
upper outter on hub
third inside down(stock) on tower
wheelbase in the middle

Would you suggest running a standard center diff? if yes why?
I had adjust the downstop a little but the car seems to roll when ran hard, any idea?

BTW the car feels very good all around, jumps alot better than the stock hyper with the jammin BB and turns a lot better than the stock hyper.

It also seems a little on the heavy side, would you recommend getting the lunsford trunbuckle and hingpin kit?
Russjones42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffwd, It sounds like a pretty easy fix. I am not sure what rate the losi white springs would be, if someone else knows maybe they could let us know. I would start off by laying the front shocks down 1 hole in the front shock tower (closer to the inside) I am not famililar with what camber link you are running, but you will want to run the lower camber hole at the shock tower and the inside camber hole at the hub carrier (closest to the car.) if you have made all those changes and still can't get enough exit steering, I would lower the droop of the car in the rear end till the chassis is level at full extension.
topshotta2114

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey russ
looking for a ruff blown out track set up for my hyper 8 . car runs nice but looking for more . I have the jammin 14mm bigbores with grey mugen springs with 60/40 oil . what kickup should i use are these the right springs ? my diff oil is 7/5/3 is that right haven't tried to many things . i did have a set up on it from rob bender but looking for some thing new anything out there ???? thanks in advance ..
Russjones42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a rough blown out track you should run max kick up and max caster to help the front end go thru the rough.

The diff oil should be fine if your happy with it, Paul Coleman once reccomended I run 3,3,1. in my diffs, I ran that for a little while and it did perfrom very well for me, but I ended up changing the 1k in the rear out because it was too light, I went to 2k and it was fine. The rest of the setup worked very well, and on a blown out track would be very good, I ended up changing only because I was diffing to the front too much and ended up only getting about half the life out of my front tires. That is only a issue if the track is high traction.

The shock seems to be on the heavy side, I would take it down to maybe 45,40/35 wt.

Mugen grey springs are a good all around spring, I tried them when i ran my h8 but I liked the Mugen light blues better, But if your track is really rough the grey's would have been better.

I generally like my cars to have a lot of off power steering and I usually have to accomplish that by running light diff oil because I usually max out the caster and kick up which takes away off power steering.

Hope this helps.
topshotta2114

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the fast response . can you send a complete set up for me to try ?
Russjones42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was as close to the last setup I ran on my car I can remember, I will be wroking on a setup for the hyper 8.5 soon, but it can take awhile to get a setup on a car.

Hyper 8 base setup

front:
3,000 diff oil
inside hole on arm second hole out from inside on tower.
1.4mm pistons 40wt. oil Mugen light blue springs
6 degree kick up
22 degree caster block.
middle ackerman hole.
lower camber link location at tower
Inside camber link location at hub
0 degree toe in/out
0mm sway bar pre load

center:
3,000 wt. diff oil
WRD2 brake discs

rear:
2,000 wt. diff oil
inside hole on arm third hole out from inside on tower
1.4mm pistons 30wt. shock oil mugen light blue springs
3 degree anti squat
306mm (narrow) rear track width
drilled rear camber link at tower
Outside upper camber link at hub carrier
3 degree rear toe in
2mm sway bar pre load.

if you like more steering use the rear ackerman hole if you would like less steering use the middle hole on the front shock tower.

i dial out a lot of droop but i also like the rear end to have more droop than the front by about 2-4mm. (i'am refering to tightening the droop screws as dialing out and more droop by loosining the droop screw) if you are traction rolling at all with this setup tighten those droop screws. or if the car feels unstable tighten those droop screws.

The droop setting is very critical.

A optional diff setup I ran for higher traction tracks was 4f,6c,2r
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15
Jump to: