FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
RTR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager
View previous topic :: View next topic  

oronagalone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: RTR? Reply with quote

What do I need to have to efficiently run my Ravager? I am new to Nitro and need some advice. I have read through many threads on a couple different forums, but everyone tends to get off topic rather easily. If you guys could help me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Spittindurt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get a temp guage such as
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMG5&P=ML

Also for the ravager a few quarts of 20% nitro, I bought a gallon at my LHS. If you buy per gallon online you will have to pay a $20 hazerdous materials fee. You can buy a 5 cell pack for your rx if you don't want to keep buying AA's.
Some after run oil to put in the motor after you get done for the day
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL391&P=ML

A few extra glow plugs are nice to have around if one goes bad (break in is hard on them)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXG902&P=7 these are just some cheep ones (run fine in my ravager) but you want to make sure they are Standard long's without an idle bar.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Just have patience and follow the instructions included for breaking in your motor and you should have fun.

Oh and P.S. my ravagers diff's were not filled with oil, they had a light coating but there was no fluid in them so I put mugen 7k in the center 5k front and 3k rear.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=diff+oil&FVPROFIL=++

Some people will run 3k front and center and then 1k rear. Like most people will tell you it depends on your driving style and trac condidtions. Right now with 5k front on a really slick track (hardpack) mine wont turn as sharp but she really hooks up when you get going strait because bolth front tires are pulling.
RevoRacer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready to Run or Ready to Race?

Click here to see how I made mine ready to race.

If you want to race
1. put oil in the diffs
2. get a 5 cell hump pack & battery charger
3. get better servos
4. rig up a throttle return spring
5. get better tires
Optional: new radio and engine

If you just want to drive it, all you need is the typical nitro accessories like Spittindurt mentioned.
RevoRacer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temp gauge is a must. You need to keep an eye on the temperature to avoid burning out the engine (running it too hot and ruining it). Especially if you are new to nitro.
oronagalone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I plan to go to my LHS today to pick up the basics. Later I will work toward upgrading the rest. Will a JR Propo 4735 work as a good turning servo in an 1/8th scale buggy? What radio, servos, and engine would you guys recommend?
RevoRacer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a steering servo with at least 100 oz of torque and a .16 transit time. The stock servos have 50 oz. Although I have never tried the stock ones, I can't imagine they would get the job done.

Most people say that the stock throttle servo isn't good enough to effectively engage the brakes. I upgraded to a 93 oz one, but I haven't been able to test it yet. You do not want too high of torque on the throttle servo though, if you don't have your end points set correctly, you could damage the carb.

The old saying goes "any $80 servo will do".

Also check the manual that came with the buggy, you need to install a 5 mm piece of fuel tubing by the bump stops on the brakes. That will help you stop.

Radios are really about preference. I like the JR XR3 or XS3. Most people don't need all the extra features that you get with an M8 or M11. My brother has the M8 and doesn't use most of the features.

People say that the stock engine is ok for driving around but isn't good for racing. It would work for racing but I guess is noticeably slower than other engines. You'll have to do your research and read reviews to find a engine you think you'll like. I use OS engines, they are a good brand, but they are expensive.
oronagalone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have a JR 4735 servo in my electric buggy I think I might move it to the Ravager. Where would you guys put that one? Steering or throttle?
RevoRacer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. Put your higher torque and faster one as the steering servo. Put the other one on the throttle. That one is 90 oz and .15 seconds, so if you're going to keep one of the stock servos (50 oz), use the JR as a steering one and the stock one as a throttle.

If you're going to buy a higher torque one, then that one would make a good throttle servo.

I would suggest trying it as a steering servo first. If you like it's performance there, then you're all set. If you think you need better performance, move it to the throttle and buy a higher torque steering servo.

Keep in mind that your Ravager is much, much heavier than your electric buggy. That servo may work just fine in the Ravager, but there is going to be a much higher load on it in the Ravager vs. the electric.
kx250ryder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most I have ran into recommend 120 oz of torque or better, and .15 or faster reaction for steering. Even more torque if you run on a rough/rutted surface.

Throttle servos are better to be quick than strong, but not as crucial as the steering servo. I would say at least 50 oz of torque (more is better), and as fast as possible.
jokat989

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: upgraids Reply with quote

for you- new in nitro- you should leave every thing stock, so you get to kno this hobby and then upgraid. i started on a 10th lil keoshu pile of junk but it got me aquanted w/ the elements of nitro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: