FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Charging batteries-HOT???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

vti-chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Charging batteries-HOT??? Reply with quote

I know Nimh batteries get too hot and can be damaged but i can't seem to charge mine at more than half there capacity and they get above 150F.
I used two chargers MRC 969 and Triton and i can only charge at <1Amp in order to keep them cool.
I have used AA 1800 batteries, sub-C 1400 packs, venom 5V packs,...
SO what's the point of charging at 3-4Amps and buying chargers that charge at even 5-7Amps when the batteries can not take it?
Have you ever checked your batteries or you just don't worry about them?
bluelightning

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Great Planes AC peak charger for my TX, RX, and glow igniter batteries. It has a charge rate dail on it. It goes from 200mah to 800mah. I charge everything at 200mah. You can charge from 1 to 8 cell batteries. Also it is for NiMH and NiCD batteries.
I am very happy with it. My batteries get warm, but never hot. If I turn the mah up the batteries get hot and will kill the life out of the batteries.

Here is a picture of it.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/g/gpmm3005.jpg
chayos00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there is probably some problem if you can't even charge sub c cells at the normal 3-5 amp rate without them overheating. I usually charge my nicd or nimh sub c batterys around 4 amps and I never have them over heat. I can also charge my reciver pack fo 1400mah at 1.5 amps with no problems. Yeah they may be warm to the touch but never HOT. I'm not sure of the quality of your charger but I never have relied on the cheap chargers, that may make a difference in your pack heating too.

Maybe you should invest in a better charger ( I don't know the charger that you use) but it's alway better to have the better equipment.
Russjones42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i charge my starter box sub c's at 5 amps reguraly and i charge my receiver pack at 1.5 amps, but if i am in a hurry i have charged them at 2 amps.

what i think is your problem is your charger is not peaking early enough and still pumping juice into the pack after it is fully charged, chargers peak when the voltage drops a pre determined amount. you should check your charger to see if this is adjustable it is called the cut off voltage. i can adjust it on my charger and i keep it at the minimum of .10volts. if this is set too high your charger continues to charge the battery past full charge.

another problem you may be experiencing is you have a dead cell in your battery packs and that is causing the problem, try your batteries on a buddies charger and see if it still is a problem.
vti-chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys i have two very good chargers MRC 969 and Triton 3150.
I also beleive that the ambient temp has a lot to do with the temperature that the cells will be.
Now that i thought of it and made some search on the net i think i made am mistake.
I have two 7.2V packs that i use on my starter box.I used to charge them one at a time but still got a bit hot not much though.After i got the Triton i connected them together and made them 14.2V pack and charged them like that on the Triton(it can charge 1-24 cells) so i beleive they had different amps on them and this might have caused the overheating.
I do beleive though that charges above 1C will stress the batteries...in the past i have used no brand Nimh AA batteries 1800mah and when charged above 1amp they would get so hot that they started leaking and threw them away in a week!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: