FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Engine Removal Design...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Aotp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Engine Removal Design... Reply with quote

i think a design should be tested...

the engine could be held in place, by some kind of bar,.... similar to those used to Hold Computer processor's (chips) into the Mother board. if youve seen this design, you cannot remove the Chip without lifting a Metal bar. if a design could be made even with two metal bars that torque the engine down. Engine removal would be sickly easy.... as simple as alligning 4 pegs.. for the gear mesh... and then popping these two bars up and down to remove the engine ... One on each side.

~Aotp...

Tell me what you think... if you are grasping my concept
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its a good idea and worth trying. The only issue would be to keep the weight down and avoid unentended releases of the engine... Manufacturers really need to standardise the engine cases and mounts - whatever the design...
Wookiee528

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer chip design is a great idea, but you have to remember that the computer is not moving at 40MPH and jumping off things and basically crashing into everything. The computer has to hold an item in a static condition where as the buggy's engine mount needs to be able to hold in the most dynamic of situations.

-Jim
Aotp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps... a racheting Design... like the Mighty tite Seat belt adjuster for children... i thought about the concern of a 40mph Engine flinging off the vehicle if not properly secured.... i think either design with either a racheting/locking bar... or just the torque bars holding it in place, would be worth a shot... the value of something like this... is pretty obvious :)... if i had the resources... id give it a try...

~Aotp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
willflip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: A possible Option Reply with quote

It is not exactly "click and play", but close.

Check out the Engine mount from King Headz
Look Here

Look at the KP-716 N or P under the Jammin X1 CR / CRT button.

I have one and it is very good quality. It allows you to remove 4 screws from the top of the chassis, and remove the engine. When re-installing, the gear mesh is still set, no re-adjusting necessary. It makes clutch maintenance / inspection much simpler.

I have several of the King Headz Options; it is all very good quality stuff.
willflip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Squirrel,

I tried to respond to your PM, but my PM send is not working for some reason. I have tried to contact Rob to get it fixed.....

Sorry, I don't use IM of any type.

Where were you Saturday? Are you going to run in the Loganville / Sugar Bowl series?
Russjones42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wouldn't be hard to design a flap and a tie down with a small quick release lever that could handle the load. but the cost to machine would be extremely high.
Aotp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once a working prototype is designed and tested.. it would only be a matter of time... 20 bucks... 30 bucks... doesnt matter... everyone would want one... one for each engine... 20 second engine changing capability... unheard of...

~Aotp
Russjones42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok you put 4 pins in the base that go thru the engine mount holes. you put a lip on the back which works similar to a hinge and you secure it at the front with 1 screw at each side. thats the cheapest easiest 2 screws to remove the engine, but if you want to go screwless you have to make 2 locking clamps on the front. (don't forget weight is a issue). now take that to a machinest and you will be amazed how expensive it will be. if you want autocad drawings i can make them but it will cost you.

Last edited by Russjones42 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aotp wrote:
once a working prototype is designed and tested.. it would only be a matter of time... 20 bucks... 30 bucks... doesn't matter... everyone would want one... one for each engine... 20 second engine changing capability... unheard of...

~Aotp

I picture it looking something like a ZIF socket that holds computer processers in. A small mount attached to the engine block that would lock into the mount on the chassis, when the lever is pushed down. As an added security feature you could have 1 screw in the end of the lever to make sure it can not come unlocked.
Aotp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly...

Obviously the parts would be made stronger.... but this gives you an idea of the concept... (note the bar, that raises and lowers to lock in the Processor)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: