FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Hyper 8 port carb...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

RobB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Hyper 8 port carb... Reply with quote

I have been typing my fingers off helping racers with the carb issues on the Hyper 8 port engines, and came to a realization that it makes more sense to type it one more time and make it a sticky for everyone to see...

The carb on the 8 port engine is a great carb, and I get frustrated when others say differently. The trick is to "know" the carbs needles, and the one that will get people every time is the midrange needle. There is a misconception that you should never touch the midrange, and I completely disagree. Learn how the midrange needle works, and adjust it accordingly...

The very first thing every 8 port owner should do is remove the entire high speed needle housing off of the carb body. Set the Midrange needle to flush with the carb body, and then look into the hole (where the high speed needle housing was) and look for the hole in the midrange needle, it must be in alignment with the high speed needle. The midrange needle has only 4 openings on it, so once you find the right location, all you'll have to do is remember that you can only make quarter turn adjustments on the midrange needle.Once you have the needle hole in the center, take a file and put a small scribe on the carb to make it obvious where the setting should be, and if it ever walks, you be able to quickly tell that its out of adjustment, and reset it...

I run the midrange needle 1/4 turn out from flush...

It should look something like this...(I'd like to thank Nickmind for the drawing)

For my setup, the low speed needle will be sticking out from flush about 2.5-3.5 turns out...

Tune the engine a bit on the rich side on the bottom needle, and run it at about 250ish, and it will be a very fast engine....I like the Ofna PCR (#19789) pipe with a double bent manifold, and I use Mugen Alum. clutch shoes with Mugen 1.1 springs...

I hope this helps...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: