FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Got some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

katjim00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Got some questions Reply with quote

Ok so I just got my Hyper 8 friday and took it to the track Saturday. I have to say I am impressed with the performance out of the box. That being said here are some questions

1) do ya'll (Texan) use some special switch in your H8. I tried a Hitec and
it was to deep. I bought an Airtronics and it doesn't fit worth a flip with
the rubber dust cover on.
2) sticking with the switch do the wires coming out of the top of the switch
get smashed between the servo tray and radio box
3) I noticed the problem areas of the car on Nitrohouse website how many
people have actually done these changes. If you did them was it out of
necessity or simply because they said to do more of a precaution.
4) I am not a big fan of the shocks just snapping on. Has anyone had a
problem with shocks popping off. I think I am going to use a longer
screw and put a washer and a nut on the end.

Any insight would be great. No real problems the first weekend out. Gonna do some more setup changes and see how she does.
nice
kingpissant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Got some questions Reply with quote

katjim00 wrote:
Ok so I just got my Hyper 8 friday and took it to the track Saturday. I have to say I am impressed with the performance out of the box. That being said here are some questions

Any insight would be great. No real problems the first weekend out. Gonna do some more setup changes and see how she does.
nice

1) i dont use the dust cover. forget what switch i use think its the airtronics.
2)i dont have any problems with the wies gettting smashed ond frayed.
3)at first i didnt do the recommended things on nitrohouses website. but then the problems they said would happened did happen so i did them. i would recommend doing them but thats up to you. can do them now or after you have problems.
4 i always use the longer screws with locking nuts and washers. i never had an issue with them popping off but better safe then sorry.
Russjones42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. i had the same problem with the airtronics switch i used a traxxas switch and everything fit no problems silicone boot and all.

2. no problems with wires either using the traxxas switch i don't know what switch they used for there design but i think they should have use either futaba or airtronics as those are the most common.

3. i haven't done any of the mods on the website and havn't had a problem with anything breaking off. i did replace the rear upper support (where they show your supposed to use a locknut to hold in the screws that hold the wingmount on). instead of cutting out for a locknut i just drilled the holes for 4mm, now i use 4mm button head screws instead of the self tapping ones. it seems to hold fine.

4. don't bother capturing the top of the shock just sit back and enjoy only having to remove 1 screw to take the shock off. i have close to 3 gallons on my car and i have never had one pop off, and they are still difficult to remove. it takes a pretty severe angle to get them off. like i said enjoy that is one of the many nice features you will like about your hyper 8
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what the two guys above me said...

No problems with shocks popping out. Ran around 3-4 gallons through the chassis before switching to the Jammin' Big Bore FTE shocks... I recommend doing this as well.

Enjoy the H8, my brother!
wildman11274

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had the shocks to pop off 3 times already. the first time was the front and the second was the rear then the 3rd the front again which ended up with a broken shock shaft. swapped em out for the bigbores and no a problem since.

i have ran about 4 gallons on my h8 and i always clean my buggy after every outing. they still were hard to snap on and off but 3 times and it was time to go.
Nitrohouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Got some questions Reply with quote

katjim00 wrote:

nice

On #'s 1 and 2, for me and a few others, we just don't use a switch. We open the box and plug in the battery straight to the reciever. This is also a safer way to run the vehicle, because you don't have to worry about switches going bad (which they will do) and cause a run-a-way...

On #3, the wing mount fix, do it!! You will break those screws and when they break they break inside of the gearbox, which could ruin it. I didn't do the steering rod ends (as I haven't yet had a problem with them), because I prefer the H8 setup over the H7 setup...

On #4 you've hit on a note that I addressed along time ago (back with the Hyper 7 is when I learned this trick), and the setup I use is to install the 30403 metal balls into the plastic tops, and then use the 36610 shock standoffs, with 25mm long screws, and washers and locknuts to hold them on. My boss REALLY likes this trick. I told him about it and its all you will see on his buggies...

#5 Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Raydog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great feedback fellas, these are the types of Posts I like. Positive information from experienced racers.

I concur with NitroHouse, ditch the switch. We use a Dean's Micro Plug to direct connect the receiver to the hump pack. We have never had a problem since we converted to switchless.

We also did the lock nut mod for the rear wing and that bad boy is bullet proof now. Do it, silly not to.

Thanks for the shock tip Nitrohosen, I did not realize this was needed as we too have 4 gallons on our 8 and never popped a shock but we will definitely take you up on this one. Good lookin out'

Last edited by Raydog on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
wildman11274

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the shocks you can also use a shorter screw to mount the stock standoffs and use a screw and washer on the front side to keep the shock from poping off.
katjim00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info fellas. Gonna play it by ear and see what happens. I like to run it stock and see if the same problems arise for me as others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: