FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
2 speed tranny for Hyper 8?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

nosacking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: 2 speed tranny for Hyper 8? Reply with quote

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I am used to having high speed trucks due to the inclusion of a 2 speed tranny. This is my first bout with buggies (Hyper 8) and I hooked up a Mach .28 motor to its back. I live in south Louisiana and the sport is just growing out here. There aren't that many tracks; hence, no opportunity to race or the need for ROAR specs. We race at a friend's backyard and include a lot of bashing as well. I can take their trucks off the line, but their 2 speed kicks in and they leave me in the dust. Any suggestions??? I just want to have a fast buggy. I thought going with a larger motor would keep me in the race, but without the 2nd gear, I'm no contest. Another friend told me to change the size of the clutch bell/differential gear. What do you think?
crusher03

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you running a 28 powerplant u could jump up a couple of teeth on the clutch bell and not loose alot of low end power, but gain some decent top speeds.

but i dont believe there is a two speed available for the 8,
but you could fit the hyper 7 on it with some mods im sure
nosacking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
Where can I find another clutch bell? If I change out the clutch bell, do I have to change anything else?
Nitrohouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crusher03 wrote:
if you running a 28 powerplant u could jump up a couple of teeth on the clutch bell and not loose alot of low end power, but gain some decent top speeds.

Not if you are running the Hyper Mach .28. Its not that strong on the bottom end. So with that said, I don't recommend putting anything bigger than a 14T bell on it. It will bog and be quite slow off the line, and out of corners if you put a 15T or larger on it...

Crusher must not have seen my post about the Hyper 7 2-speed, and the fact that IMO it will work. I am going to look into it more just to be sure...

More to follow...
crusher03

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt see why it wouldnt work, its the same bolt pattern, but will the second spur clear the chassis without cutting it, or will the clutchbell get into the fuel tank has its a half mile long from ofna
nosacking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Bad choice Reply with quote

Sounds like a made a bad choice in getting the Mach .28 for this buggy. I was trying to get the most out of the buggy. What engine would be the best for what I am looking for (speed in bottom and speed at the top). I have another rc I can use the Mach .28 on. We are in the "mine is better than yours war". I want to shut them all up.
Russjones42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you take them to a track you will see how much better yours is compared to theres
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ speaketh the truth, so sayeth the squirrel!

Get those foolz out to your local track and then,

Layeth down the smack almighty!

Wookiee528

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money were no object to you, I would recommend the Novarossi P5x($280) or the RB C6($340) engines. Both have good bottom end and good top-end-I think the C6 is stonger than the P5x on both top and bottom ends. Both are .21 sized engines and will be much faster than your .28 you are currently running.

-Jim
nosacking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Sounds good Reply with quote

With these 2 engines, what is the approximate top end speed on the Hyper 8?
Wookiee528

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many factors that contribute to top-speed. You will have to look at the gearing of the vehicle, the tires you are running, the conditions you are running in, i.e. the weather, the track surface, also your tune and pipe on the engine will also affect the pipe. So for me to be able to say what your top speed is going to be will be difficult, but trust me with a proper tune and pipe combo these engines will scream and will be much faster than the .28. Another great thing about these .21 engines is that they will usually give a longer runtime on a tank of fuel over the .28 engines.

If getting the RB C6 engine, just make sure you get the RB C6BB for your buggy. I don't know what the topspeed of these engines are as I have only seen or run them at the track, but the C6BB is IMO faster than the P5X in all out engine speed, but on the track, the driver often has more to do with overall speed than the engine.

-Jim
Russjones42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your on a budget go with the sportwerks .26 its the engine that comes with the mayhem. they seem to be really fast, but try the 2 speed then post a video so we can see how fast it goes.
nosacking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Funny you should mention Reply with quote

Russ, I actually purchased the Sportwerks .26 with the adjustable carbs and brought it back b/c the stock motor mounts would not work with the engine. In need of a quick fix, I elected to go with the Hyper .28 6P. I am now regretting this decision. Do you happen to know what mounts I would need to get the SW .26 to work? Obviously, I am new to RC, already have a Revo 3.3, Jato, and now the Hyper 8. I thought the bigger the engine, the more power and speed. From what everyone is posting, this may not be the case. I guess this is a Nub mistake.
SpinDrift

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine size isn't everything. Most American muscle cars have big engines, but can't get anywhere near a European sports car with an engine half the size. Same principle can apply to RC.

Get a good .21 race engine and you'll kick booty.. Something like an OS V-Spec, RB C6 or Novarossi Plus 5.

[Edit] - No I did not say booty! - I said a$$ but the bad word filter changed it!!
BUTCHER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Nova Rossi 528. That should pull some deep gearing wy/that 2 speed. I dont have a comparison to other high end .28 motors but its in my crt & its way too much for my driving ability. It should be just about fight for your plans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: