FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Choosing fuel...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jacko8808

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Choosing fuel... Reply with quote

Im fairly new to the world of Nitro R/C, been into it for about 6 months. I'm a Canadian living in Taiwan and English advice here is very hard to come buy being that nobody speaks English well enough to explain details to me. My Chinese is good but not great and I lose them many times in conversations about set ups. I have a question Im hoping somebody could help me with. Im very green to this but do have engine experiance in general as I am a piston head from way back being that I've raced motorcycles and cars all my life. I found Nitro R/C and its my new "Crack" in life....Im sooo hooked! I just bought a Hyper 8 after owning (and repairing very often) an Ofna Ultra LX Pro. Nice buggy but way too much maintanence and new parts every week, expecially the steering rods (Turnbuckle). Anyways Im rambling...sorry. Question is this, I have a Hobao .21 Hyper 8 Port engine in my Hyper 8, I've broken it in already and Im wondering if 30% fuel is ok to run in that engine. Our local track requires short bursts of speed in many parts and I like the extra ummph I get when I squeeze the trigger but is 30% too much in a tropical climate where the days heat can bring the sweat on your skin to a boil...Man its hot here! Is heat even a factor when choosing the right fuel? Does 30% make an engine run hotter than 20%? If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it, the guys at our track swear by the 30% but they also believe in many things us Westerner's and European's dont when it comes to technical stuff. Thanks for your time and attention.

P,S...This site kicks ash! you guys rock with all the help and info you offer to everyone. I like the freindly feel in here. To the ones who are answering most of the questions I've been reading (Nitrohouse, SoCal, Kingpissant...and so on) Just a freindly reminder of how much guys like myself appreciate the time and energy you guys put into helping us....I applaud you, Keep up the great work and attitude, it doesnt go unnoticed!
Thanks again.....Jack.

Last edited by Jacko8808 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
socalbash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Jacko ...

Thanks for the kind words .... by the way its So. CAL as in southern california.

I love my hyper 8 - seems like your liking yours too. COngrats on the new purchase.

30% should be fine ... you may need to add an additional head shim to get a little more DECK height when running 30%. What plug are you running.

theoretically - 30% should allow your engine to make power at cooler temps. Meaning max power with 20% fuel would be less power at a higher temp than with 30% fuel. I run 30% in my hyper 8 ports and they love it! :-)

Shim the head and tune correctly and you'll be fine. For you climate - id be interested to hear what some other folks recommend for a glow plug - I presume there is significant humidity, and wetter air plays an interesting part in all this.

Stay tuned ....
Jacko8808

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCal

Im terribly sorry for the lack of attention when I mentioned your name, I saw others on the site refer to you as Social also and I must have just misread your name for that reason. I thank you for the help and I now have more questions for ya if you dont mind. I've read also about the shim for deck clearance but I dont really understand why a change in Nitro % would require this to be done. To be honest I dont even know what kind/size of shim or where it should go. Im so knew to this and it frustrates me a bit living in a country where this information is just not on hand. Being a very eager to learn guy because Im so hooked on this kind of racing, its difficult to deal with when you have such ambitions to learn and improve. I have an idea where the shim goes but Im just not 100% on it. The plug Im using is an Enya #5. All the guys out here run that or O.S #5. With the temperature and the crazy amount of humidity here Im not sure if a #4 would be better or not. What would you suggest? Again I appologize for the name and am grateful for any more help you may be able to provide. As a Greenhorn at this Im sure I'll be asking many questions, like I said...not a lot of help going on out here in English!

Thanks....Jack.
Wookiee528

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the other guys are using the Enya #5 plug with the 30% nitro, then I am sure you will be fine also. Adding the shim is not that hard to do. You will want to get a .1mm shim for your engine and then take off the cooling head. Then you will see the sleeve and piston. On the top of the sleeve you will most likely see a brass colored shim already there. Just place the new shim on top of that one and re-install the cooling head. The reason for teh extra shim is that the 30% nitro content will cause higher compression than the 20% nitro. The extra shim lowers the compression to a more engine-friendly level.

Good luck running there in the heat and humidity and let us know how everything is going.

-Jim
Jacko8808

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiee,

Thanks for the great instructions, I can see it now and fully understand where the shim goes. Your explanation makes sense...great help and thks again! I'll keep you guys up to date on the humidity effects on the engine as I learn more about it. :)

Jack.
Nitrohouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I took to long to see this...lol

Like my good friend SoCal (yes we do call him that, its become his nick-name) the 30% will run cooler with more power, but I haven't seen any plug recommendations, so I'll throw in my .02 cents here. I think for the high (ok very high) humidity that you will have, you will need to use a warmer plug than what we use here in the States. I would start with either the McCoy MC8's or the NovaRossi #6 standard plug. I will also recommend using an extra head shim as well to keep the engine tune and power band more consistent...Hope this helps...Now....

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
hybridom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run a mccoy #8 in my hyper .21 and it works GREAT!! i cant give much advice on 30% fuels, as i run 20%...but i would take Socal, wookie, and nitrohouse's advice...they really know their stuff
Jacko8808

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hybridom, Nitrohouse

Thanks for taking the time to help, all the advice given by all has been very helpful. I'll take it to the track, burn a few tanks and let ya's all know how it went in the seething rediculous heat and humidity.

Jack.

-I live with fear everyday......but on Sunday she lets me race!- ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: