FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Turbo Glow Plugs Vs. Standard Glow Plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> OFNA Pit Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  

soslo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Turbo Glow Plugs Vs. Standard Glow Plugs Reply with quote

Turbo and standard plugs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone! Was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages between a turbo and a standard plug engine? Cause some engines come with heads for both types of engines and I've noticed that some pros prefer standard over the other and vice versa. A friend of mine did mention that turbo plugs are a little harder to tune and then some would mention that turbo plugs give better performance. Thanks

newman
OFNA Moderator
(10/15/05 5:35 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Turbo and standard plugs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Generally for the most part, first off. Yes there are a few engines that you can fit either a turbo or standard plug head button on. But to take full advantage of a turbo plug head the engine it's self is also "improved" on over a standard engine. The crankshaft timing and shape is different and the internal shape of the engine case is usually slightly different in order to take advantage of the turbo head.
So just sticking a turbo head button on a standard engine won't really net you a "turbo" engine. Same as a sticking a standard plug head button won't net you a consistant standard engine.

There is an advantage in the design of a turbo head over the standard head. Due to the taper of the sealing surface of the turbo plug you get a much better seal and it seats precisely flush with the combustion chamber. A standard plug uses a 'crush' washer which deformes as you tighten it. So depending on how tight or loose you crank it the plug will set slightly deeper or shallower in the combustion chamber. That slight difference can make a great deal of difference in performace. If you choose to run a "turbo" engine then run one that is was designed and manufactured as a turbo out of the box. Avoid changing out heads just to run a turbo plug.
RobB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Glow Plugs Vs. Standard Glow Plugs Reply with quote

soslo wrote:
Turbo and standard plugs
Hey everyone! Was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages between a turbo and a standard plug engine? Cause some engines come with heads for both types of engines and I've noticed that some pros prefer standard over the other and vice versa. A friend of mine did mention that turbo plugs are a little harder to tune and then some would mention that turbo plugs give better performance. Thanks

newman
OFNA Moderator
(10/15/05 5:35 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Turbo and standard plugs
Generally for the most part, first off. Yes there are a few engines that you can fit either a turbo or standard plug head button on. But to take full advantage of a turbo plug head the engine it's self is also "improved" on over a standard engine. The crankshaft timing and shape is different and the internal shape of the engine case is usually slightly different in order to take advantage of the turbo head.
So just sticking a turbo head button on a standard engine won't really net you a "turbo" engine. Same as a sticking a standard plug head button won't net you a consistant standard engine.

There is an advantage in the design of a turbo head over the standard head. Due to the taper of the sealing surface of the turbo plug you get a much better seal and it seats precisely flush with the combustion chamber. A standard plug uses a 'crush' washer which deformes as you tighten it. So depending on how tight or loose you crank it the plug will set slightly deeper or shallower in the combustion chamber. That slight difference can make a great deal of difference in performace. If you choose to run a "turbo" engine then run one that is was designed and manufactured as a turbo out of the box. Avoid changing out heads just to run a turbo plug.

This isn't entirely true with some of the engines we sell...The Picco's for example will except both standard or turbo head buttons, without requiring different timing. The Hyper .21 8 port engines as well can and will run better with a turbo head button (the Nova Rossi P5 turbo head button is a direct fit with the P5 head). I have personally tested both of these and the turbo setup did in fact create stronger power throughout the power band, and I found I didn't have to run the engine as hot (10 to 20 degrees cooler engine temps with the turbo head buttons, and more power) to get the power... I spoke with the Nova Rossi Importer and he agree'd with me about this. He told me that you just have to make sure the deck height is the same, so you don't change the ignition timing, and compression. So with the Nova's, Picco's, and the Mac's (or Hyper 8 ports), you will see and feel a 10% increase in power...Turbo plug engines typically are a bit more sensitive to tuning changes though...Smaller adjustments are needed in comparison...

I don't know that this will be true with all engines, so investigate before making any changes to your current engine...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> OFNA Pit Tips All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: