FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Ultra LX Comp steering issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

66FordBronco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Ultra LX Comp steering issues Reply with quote

Ok... I'm not only to OFNA but new to the nitro buggies! I had a electric RC buggy way...way back when I was 16 yrs. old but soon after owning a electric buggy I always wanted a gas RC car. Now speed up to today... my 10 year old son and my 12 year old daughter had a load of fun messing around with my buddy son's gas buggy. After talking to him... he told me check out cragslist and sometimes you find cheap project buggies that you can rebuild or repaired. So my son and I jumped on the local craigslist and found a car that needed a few things. Well... it was more then a few things which I kind of figured out soon after getting it home! I had the hardest time trying to figure out exactly which OFNA car I actually had but I'm sure of it now after comparing the LX Comp to LX1 to LX2... I have Ultra LX Comp.

My first hurdle is the front shock tower. The prior owner I guess crashed it into something and bent the front shock tower... among many other things but I can't seem to find a new front shock tower. I guess OFNA is out of stock and I can't find it anywhere online either. Does OFNA still make parts for there older cars or once it's gone... it's gone??? Meanwhile I replace most of the things that I could tell what was bad with the front end. I know I'll have more things to replace but I'v made a good start with it.

My temporary front shock tower fix: Prior owner bought the wrong one (I think for the LX1). So I had to weld the upper A-arm (4mm) shaft pin hole closed and re-drill it for a LX Comp 3mm shaft pin size. It work perfectly and I was able to remount the shocks, new upper A-arms with new shaft pins with out and issues. But I still want to replace tower once I find a new one!

So here is my steering problem: after getting the whole buggy put back together, it seems like the servo isn't strong enough to steer the front wheels. On the buggy stand the servos work perfectly. I can control the steering right and left and even trim it but once I set the car on the ground in my basement floor the servo is not strong enough to turn the wheels left or right! I can't even get it 1/2 way... it's a little more then a wiggle left & right. If I push the car and try to steer left or right with the buggy rolling the wheels will turn with forward movement. I have tried two different servos and tried 4 new AA batteries and even the "Hump Pack" battery cells (that I got it with the car when I bought it so I have no idea if they are still holding a full charge). No matter what I try the servo does not seem to be able to steer the front wheels! But up off the ground they seems to turn very easily even by hand with NO DRAG!

Any ideas or things to look for???? Still weak batteries??? Inherit problem with LX Comp??? Bad radio controller or still bad servos??? Buggy needs to be sitting on loose dirt or something to turn wheels??? lol What am I overlooking??? haha

In you opinion is the best of the three buggies: LX Comp, LX1 or LX2 and why???

I ask this because if I'm going to get one up and running I know my son, daughter, and I would have a lot more fun if we had two buggies to drive together. If I would choose to do that I'm a big advocate of having the same car. The parts are the same, less learning curve, easier trouble shooting, and etc! So before I spend more time and money into this project Ultra LX Comp should I look for LX1 or LX2 stuff instead or it doesn't matter???

Thanks for any input!
David S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome,

If you tried a hump pack battery, it sounds like weak servos.
Unfortunately shock tower 34018 has been discontinued.
You could possibly get a shock tower made of graphite.

The LX-2 is the newest and the best one of the Ultra series.
The layout is more centered and it uses a newer style tank and battery box.

Hope this helps.
BigGrump

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that your steering servo saver adjustment is too loose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: