FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
My ULTRA MBX R2 – Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

rc-demon

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: My ULTRA MBX R2 – Build Reply with quote

* modified June 3,2013*

Hello Everyone,

This is my build thread for my Ultra MBX R2. This buggy will be restored and turned into a weekend track basher, hopefully it will be able to be competitive enough to keep up with the newer cars . Plans are to lighten up the chassis and improve handling and performance.

Much of what i will do is based on the work of “thunderbolt427” thread “ULTRA Capable!!!!” Only things i will not do is cut chassis and lower center of gravity. I may remove some materials to reduce more weight.

I have purchased this buggy on Ebay and as you can see it is quite dirty! What a surprise i got when i started taking it apart. This is a project meant to learn and to see what can be accomplished.

Phase1
Strip it down and clean everything and gather parts that need replacing. To start the car off i will be putting 5000k oil in the 3 diffs and 30wt in the front shocks and 35wt in rears. I just want to see how the car goes and will adjust after and will probably settle with specs below. I will also put new stock brakes and will upgrade to carbon later in phase2 if needed.

Differentials:
Front - 5000WT
Center - 7000WT
Rear - 3000WT

New complete center Diffferential from Ultra LX2
Lightweight Cnc Aluminum Diff Cross Pins Part #: OFN30774 (optional)

Shocks:
Jammin 16MM Big Bore (Ultra LX2) (purchased)
30wt. oil in the front shocks.
35wt. oil in the rear shocks.

Chassis Upgrades:

Rear Arm Holder – Kings Headz
http://www.kingheads.com/product_info.php?products_id=867

Front Arm Plate – Kings Headz
http://www.kingheads.com/product_info.php?products_id=873

Engine:
Clutch Bell 14T #10400 with bearings (purchased)
Ofna Air Filter Set Jammin OFN40127 (purchased)

Exhaust:
OFNA Jammin JP-3 Hard Anodized (purchased)

Brakes:
Pro Fiber disc brakes (Ultra LX2)

Body:
Ofna 1/8 Hi-Force Wing Black OFN16018 (purchased)
Ofna Body Clips OFN31159 (purchased)
Ultra, MBX OFN31142

Electronics:
Venom 1600mah 5-cell hump pack (purchased)

Last edited by rc-demon on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
rc-demon

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

I started this project a couple days ago, so i have about 10 hours into it with pulling it apart and cleaning everything. Its a long and tedious job but fun!

I will be servicing all 3 diffs this weekend and will start to put some of it back together.

I will update with some pictures soon, some goodies also came in. Got a bunch of different orders i am waiting on.

thanks for watching!
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like your gna have your hands full restoring that back to like new condition!! Lol, don't worry, i was in the same boat not long ago.

What i do to clean my car fast is to take the motor/exhaust off, radio box and servo tray. Next you'll want to get some B12 Chemtool carb cleaner, spray the entire car with it to remove all the dust and dirt, but don't spray it directly on any surface that has exposed bearing edges. This stuff will dry out the bearings it's so powerful. After you spray it down with the carb cleaner, turn on your air compressor and blow it off. It'll look almost as good as new!
rc-demon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrickLX1 wrote:
it looks like your gna have your hands full restoring that back to like new condition!! Lol, don't worry, i was in the same boat not long ago.

Ya its been quite long, a few more hours today, did not have much time. Tomorrow i will tackle front diff and and put back together most of the front end.

The center diff turned out to be in bad shape, i think the bearings are done and the spur gear looks crooked, it wobbles when i spin it! So i think i will have to get a whole new diff setup. I put it back together anyhow for now.

TrickLX1 wrote:

What i do to clean my car fast is to take the motor/exhaust off, radio box and servo tray. Next you'll want to get some B12 Chemtool carb cleaner, spray the entire car with it to remove all the dust and dirt, but don't spray it directly on any surface that has exposed bearing edges. This stuff will dry out the bearings it's so powerful. After you spray it down with the carb cleaner, turn on your air compressor and blow it off. It'll look almost as good as new!

ya i heard of that for when car is running to do a good cleaning, i will try that!

Right now for the rebuild i am stripping down all parts and soaking in Simple Green, cleaning with toothbrush and cleaning with shop towels. I used Mineral Spirits to soak the diffs and bearings and that gets any grease off.

Some goodies came in the mail friday! My LX2 remote, a bunch of screws, bolts and air filter and new wing. More stuff on its way.

Here is center diff clean and put back together.

I will have some bettter pics tomorrow or Monday as i start to put it back together.
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tedious and time consuming, but it'll be worth it in the end when you get it done and all back together.

My buggy has been sitting on the bench in piece's for about a month and today i finally got to see all the work i've done to it come together. My center differential is the only thing i'm waiting on to complete the drive line. The LX2 shocks, shock ball end posts, new ofna wheels with triad tires and a misc. screw pack will be the last things i purchase for it off ebay for a while. Nitrohouse.com also has few misc. parts i'm gonna order that i want to keep in my tool box in case something breaks on me.
rc-demon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrickLX1 wrote:
It's tedious and time consuming, but it'll be worth it in the end when you get it done and all back together.

Hey TickLX1,

Ya its a long job for sure! I hope its worth it. I have everything cleaned up at this point. Had some issues with front diff and the orange o-rings are not fitting and keep popping out. I think they got deformed because i put them in Mineral Spirits by mistake. So i ordered a new diff seal kit.

Also cant put back together a-arms since almost all the lower pins are bent, so waiting for those.

Got the engine all cleaned up today. So all the dirty work is done now!
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your moving in the right direction. It's always a good thing to check everything when you buy a used RC, especially the drive line and suspension!! My buddy bought a used Hyper 7 off ebay last week and will be waiting for him to contact me this week. I told him i'd help him clean, inspect and tune it for him to show him the ropes.

I should have my center differential parts tmrw and all the "tedious" work will be done on my build.
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go rc-demon, check out my new project!

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/UltraKfx/media/Turbo%2051%20Nitro%20boat/turbo1_zps3ef7dd00.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/UltraKfx/media/Turbo%2051%20Nitro%20boat/turbo2_zps642cbf56.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
rc-demon

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrickLX1 wrote:

Looks good buddy! Im not into boats but it looks fast!

Small update on the OFNA. Project on hold. waiting on 4 deliveries to come in. Shipping is slow.

I picked up 16mm big bore shocks, LX2 cetnter diff with new brakes, new wing, axles and some other goodies.

Just missing a new muffler and i will have everything to put it back together.
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rc-demon wrote:
TrickLX1 wrote:

Small update on the OFNA. Project on hold. waiting on 4 deliveries to come in. Shipping is slow.

I picked up 16mm big bore shocks, LX2 cetnter diff with new brakes, new wing, axles and some other goodies.

Just missing a new muffler and i will have everything to put it back together.

Sounds good. You'll have it back together and ripping around in no time once all your parts arrive.

Last edited by TrickLX1 on Mon May 27, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rc-demon wrote:
TrickLX1 wrote:

I've always liked all kinds of rc's and when this hydro formula boat fell in my lap for $40 bucks, i couldn't pass it up. It came with everything, even the radio system, glow plug and igniter with charger and %33 fuel.

All i've got in it is $22 bucks in misc parts to get it back together. The motor isn't even broken in yet it has so much compression. had it on the water yesterday and it's a little sluggish off the line, then picks up speed. I know it's cause I have it on a rich setting for the first couple of tanks, then i'll start leaning it out till i get the speed i want. It's a blast! Lol

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/UltraKfx/media/Turbo%2051%20Nitro%20boat/turbo3_zps134b5d7f.jpg.html?sort=2&o=2

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/UltraKfx/media/Turbo%2051%20Nitro%20boat/turbo4_zps41790027.jpg.html?sort=2&o=3

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/UltraKfx/media/Turbo%2051%20Nitro%20boat/turbo11_zps899a9773.jpg.html?sort=2&o=10

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/UltraKfx/media/Turbo%2051%20Nitro%20boat/turbo10_zps6a6f01d0.jpg.html?sort=2&o=9

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/UltraKfx/media/Turbo%2051%20Nitro%20boat/turbo9_zps4ee69f34.jpg.html?sort=2&o=8

Last edited by TrickLX1 on Mon May 27, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to hijack your thread man, just letting you check it out.
rc-demon

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrickLX1 wrote:
Not trying to hijack your thread man, just letting you check it out.

no problem for now. thanks for sharing.
rc-demon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

Finally starting to receive some parts, but still cant get this project going. Deliveries from the US are painful , no tracking updates! where is my stuff?

Received some various hardware, rear wing, rear shocks. Still waiting on the front shocks, new LX2 center diff.

Since I received some pins for rear lower arms I decided to get the rear end put together and took a pic.

TrickLX1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good man, i will say the PBS suspension setup your buggy has is a better setup that what my LX1 has. I'd go with the LX2 receiver/battery box and servo tray posts as well, you'll have to mark, drill and counter sink the wholes in the chassis to make the LX2 receiver box work on your chassis. But it lowers the center of gravity considerably and makes a difference in handling, IMO.

Where are you located that it's taking so long to get your parts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: