FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Hyper 21 burning Glow Plugs - Newbi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Loftuz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Hyper 21 burning Glow Plugs - Newbi Reply with quote

Hi All

This is my first post, i'm new to Nitro car's. Bought a second hand Hyper 7 pro l on ebay. It came with a Hyper 21 4 port engine. The guy who sold it said he had just installed a new piston + liner so would need running in.
Im using Byron 20% gen 2 fuel with OS no8 plugs.
I've been on the ofna site and followed the run in instructions. SO far i have burnt out 2 plugs? when i remove the plugs the coil is deformed and twisted and slightly black. The outer side of the plug is slightly black to.

What am i doing wrong? I know there is loads of posts the same as this but not with my fuel and plug so would like some expert advice?

I dont think im running too lean as i get good smoke out of the car most of the time, but somtimes there is none? Today a brand new plug was burned out in less than 5 mins?

Can some one please help?

David S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tune is good. Check that there are head shims under the head button.
If it has excessive compression the glow plug element can distort.
Also check the connecting rod. A worn rod also can take out glow plugs.
Pay special attention to the rod bushings.
RobB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug is NOT the correct plug for the Hyper engines. OS plugs are short reach plugs, and not spec'd for the Hyper engines, and it's way too hot. Too hot of a plug throws off the engines timing, which causes detonation. Detonation destroys glow plugs and more importantly ENGINES. Improper head clearance (not enough) will also cause detonation.

For 20%, I recommend getting McCoy MC8, or Nova Rossi #5, both of which are medium heat plugs that will work perfectly in your engine.

If this doesn't help, then you need to dis-assemble the engine, and inspect everything, because it might need you to add head shims , replace the front bearing (could be sucking air, and running lean), replace main bearing, and/or replace con rod. All of which can be the cause of your problems.

Hope this helps...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: