FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Turning Radius.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

rbeamj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Turning Radius. Reply with quote

I know this is an older platform however I have a simple question. First I bought this buggy about 4 years ago, along with a new RB engine (WS7 L2G). It was meant to replace my Hyper 7 PCR pro edition that served me very well. Well my local LHS and RC track closed shortly after my purchase of the Hyper 8.5 so I never got a chance to run it. I was able to do the engine break in, put after run oil into the engine then shelved it for the last 4 years.

Now a track closer to home is appearing and I have dug my lil hyper 8.5 out of mothballs and immediatly noticed that the front wheels, on full turn, hit the turnbuckes or the lower control arm. This only happens with wheels that are premounted, such as the V3 prolines or the original crimefighter premounted that I have also had for 4 years. The stock wheels do not hit in these locations.

I have corrected it using end point adjustments on the transmitter but am looking for a better solution. Would using the 1.5mm extenders give me the extra throw back or not?
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.5mm extenders should guive you a litle more clearance but as far as I know the V2 are the best choice if you are looking for wider tyres or I must said more tyre contact than stock. I never use them yet, I use the original size in my buggy and I have to complaint. With the original wheels you will get more steering. The 8.5 is a great plataform, with a good chassis set up the original tyres will do the job just fine. M2C.
rbeamj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: RE turning radius Reply with quote

Yes I noticed that the original wheels that come with the Hyper 8.5 pro are dished slightly. With this dish (you can see a lip on the outer side of the wheel) I can have my end points set to roughly 95% without the wheel hitting the control arm or the turnbuckle. Using proline wheels, or even wheels from a hyper 7, I have to set the end point to about 80%. With the new V3 from proline I am around 65% on the end points. I was hoping to use a 1.5mm or 2mm spacer to get that 30% on the endpoint adjustment back but wanted to know results before I plunk down $30 on some spacers.

If 30% isn't gonna make a difference then I won't bother. Just seems as if its too much to lose in terms of turn in.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try it let see if the turning is good. Go back a forth between the original tyres and the V3's to see how much you are loosing or gaining. Like I said before, with a good set up the original tyres will make the car turn in a dime. beside you have more weight wi the V3's witch can be good or can be bad. TEST TIME
rbeamj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWVR6_T wrote:
Just try it let see if the turning is good. Go back a forth between the original tyres and the V3's to see how much you are loosing or gaining. Like I said before, with a good set up the original tyres will make the car turn in a dime. beside you have more weight wi the V3's witch can be good or can be bad. TEST TIME

Yeah with the V3 wheels and tires the turning radius is the pits. I like the forward bite from the added width but the loss of turning radius is not worth it. To make it work I would need 5 or 6mm extenders so that I can get the extra throw back into the steering system. Gonna stick with the proline velocity wheels (original version) and some 2mm adapters. I cant find the ofna original wheels anywhere (they had a tapered inner edge that gave additional clearance when turning).
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the surface of your track but picking the correct compound makes a world of difference. Some said that 80% of the buggy performance is in the tires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: