FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Picco 26 no power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Picco Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

sethmoney

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Picco 26 no power Reply with quote

I recently put the big block 26 in my revo and am not seing mutch power from it. I have run about 8 tanks through the motor. It idles perfectly but when you give it full throttle quikly it just dies. If you gradully throttle it up it will climb to a high rpm but just take along time. when you throttle it up quikly it will die. I have read that it won't' open up until 12 tanks not including the break in.
I don't uderstand how some people say they have wheelies at tank 4. I am wondering if my engine is just not broke in enough or what. When i lean out the high idle it just gets hotter with no smoke and no power.. The engine just dies more often.
When people say the engine opens up at 10 to 12 tanks what does that mean.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your engine is still in brake in period you should't want to WOT at this point you should consern more on getting some fuel in the engine. How do you know if the engine is hot? do you have a temp gun? This engine just need a good tune and a good fuel. What kind and % of nitro are you using? What temp. of glow plug are you using? I'll sujust you to follow this link http://www.ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3 it will take you from brake it in to a nice tune, I'm sure this will help. The power in this engine depend on %nitro fuel, type of glow plug according to outside temperature, pipes are the must important upgrade to make this engines RIP, clutch set up, gearing. Take a look at this page http://www.ofna.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23 it may show you how this engines perform. Hope this help.
sethmoney

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run traxxas 20% because i have another 3.3 truck so i thought i would run the same fuel.
I have a temp gun and it says it runs from about 180 to 220. When i lean the fuel out it climbs to about 250 but with no performance improvments. The truck will die more often when i lean it out.
I run the same plug as the 3.3 its from traxxas but i don't know the temp. I was told the plug is just for starting.

the truck starts good and idles good just no full throttle.

I am going to run 2 or 3 tanks tonight and see what happens.
Sounds like these engines have air leak problems so that is where i will head next if it doesn't run better.
David S.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-12 tanks before it opens up means break-in. Picco engines can easily take 10-12 tanks before they have broken-in.
Wheelies at tank 4 is very premature and can damage the engine. With a tight piston/sleeve your just forcing the engine.
I recomend to use a good hot glow plug like Part# 51010 for break-in.
Also I would recomend to use a good quality fuel such as Byron or O'Donnell. I would not recomend the traxxas fuel. This also may help. If the engine is still tight when cold more break-in time is needed.

Hope this helps
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you follow the links that I gave you above? It's all in there.
sethmoney

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a couple of weeks later and about 15 tanks or a little over a gallon and a half.
The engine is running alot better. I now have full throttle and good power. No wheelies though.
About tank 12 or 13 I picked up alot of power and tore up the clutch in about 5 minutes of running.
I put the Integy 3 shoe clutch in it for an upgrade and also replaced the main drive lines with steel. The clutch is real nice. The truck stopped lurching forward when it was just sitting there.
Also put the forward only conversion in.

I have been debating on wether to put aluminum diffs in.
I like to do things that people have said is a good up grade but havn't found anyone who says that it's a must with the picco.
Its a really expensive upgrade.

The engine is running good now and I am assuming i will pick up some power as i run more fuel through it .

I just can't believe how mutch fuel or time is put into the break in on this engine.
ITS LIKE A SECOND JOB.
sozo42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Im real new to this site, but I will share with you what I did the very minute it had the Picco out of the box.
I took the carb and put a thin layer of red permatex around the sleeve. then I removed the backplate and did the same. I am running Traxxas nitro 20%. I am on my 7th tank and pulling some real slow wheelies. This in itself is pretty cool, BUT, I also have the full Integy suspension upgrade with the Integy piggyback shocks. This requires much more power to pull the front up. The Traxxas 3.3 could not do it. I would recommend taking the engine out and sealing all possible air leaks. It sounds like you are missing some serious horsepower. My engine upgrade from the 3.3 is HUGE! Seal your air leaks and get a good tune with a little rich mix and run it and slowly lean it out paying attention to the temp! That Picco will wake up and start baking cakes!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Picco Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: