FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Monster Blazer / Ultra GT LX Truggy Build...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

midnight08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Monster Blazer / Ultra GT LX Truggy Build... Reply with quote

I am a new member here. But I am not new to the world of RC...

I have a Monster Blazer that has served me well for the last 7 years. This truck was my first Nitro RC vehicle so I have some sentimental ties to it. I bought it used from a local hobby shop employee that pretty much screwed me over when I was a young kid. Since it was my first nitro vehicle, i did not know what to look for. I thought the truck was cool, and i thought it was a good deal, I later found out otherwise... The truck had miscellaneous bolts installed into it (still has them), it had a blown motor, and a crappy radio.

after a long bout with the LHS employee, I ended up with a used motor with good compression. I then purchased a new radio as well as servos.

The truck has been used in this condition for years. about 2 years ago, I disassembled the entire truck to clean it and freshen it up. I took all of the aluminum parts to the local powder coater and had them powder coated black and silver.

I have now decided that it is time to give this truck the proper rebuild that it deserves.

The Plan:

Rebuild EVERYTHING!!
UPGRADE EVERYTHING that can be upgraded.

I have been in contact with Ron who builds the center diff spools for these trucks. and I will be ordering one of his kits.

I would like to hear any and all opinions on things that should be upgraded on this truck.

The only thing that I am certain of at this point is that I will be running a DX3R radio with an SPMSR3100 receiver. I currently have an airtronics high torque servo for steering and a hightec high torque servo for throttle and brake.

Here are a few pictures of the truck in it current dirty state....

I am looking forward to hearing your opinions on upgrades for this truck.
midnight08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know of any aluminum parts that should be used instead of the stock stuff?

aluminum center diff bulkheads? OFN30201
Aluminum servo savers? OFN36740
Aluminum front and rear upper and lower arm holders? OFN30350/OFN30160
Aluminum turnbuckles? OFN36880 and OFN30400
midnight08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shocks should I run? are there any upgrades to the stock shocks?

OR are these the only ones?

http://www.rcplanet.com/Ofna_Front_Shock_Body_p/ofn40052.htm

Also, does anyone know if there is a nut and bolt kit for the Monster Blazer / Ultra GT LX?
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT LX Pro Upgrades
There is one aftermarket company, PCR ?? that offers upgraded shock towers and other stuff mostly for the "updated" ultra chassis read not specifically applicable but adaptable to the GT LX if you wish.
There is a screw/nut kit for one of the Ultra models, LX1 IIRC.
If nitrohouse cant help you, there is always various RC SS hex head screw kits on flea bay.

FWIW, I would get it built with bare minimum upgrades, then only add upgrades when/if necessary and/or as you see fit..
Frankly, I am not much into eye candy just for the sake of having eye candy anymore so I cant offer much help with the bling factor..
Now considering everything you know you need, engine, clutch assembly, radio box, shocks, fuel tank, screw kit, wheels and likely tires, a bearing here, an 0-ring there, etc etc, etc. IMO you'll also want the upgraded PBS suspension w/8mm axles. Buying all that one piece at a time is not only APITA and time consuming, it will begin to add up QUICK. To the point that you might consider buying a NIB LX Comp RTR or MBX R-2 kit.
Contact NitroHouse and see if they can't locate an Ultra MBX R-2 Kit for you and start anew. Last I recall, the R-2 Kit was aprox $185.00.
How much is your free time worth, and if its called "free time", then why do I have so little of it? LMAO
I like Ofna's old Super Shocks myself, although I do modify the piston(s) ever so slightly (enlarge the oriface(s) and add a chamfer to the shaft side only).

Bottom line.. I am a cheap old buzzard, so if it aint broke, I dont fix it. LOL
midnight08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminum pieces that I have listed are not necessarily for "eye candy? I was thinking more along the lines of structural stiffening. I chose the parts that I did as most of them are protected in-board of the chassis and would not be easily bent like aluminum control arms or shock towers would.

I will contact nitro house to see if they cant help me out with the parts to upgrade to PBS and 8mm axles.

As for getting a new kit... I am not interested in replacing this truck. It has sentimental ties to it and I would like it to get a second life. I get parts pretty cheaply so I am not worried about buying the things that I need to rebuild the truck.
Kacy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnight08 wrote:
The aluminum pieces that I have listed are not necessarily for "eye candy? I was thinking more along the lines of structural stiffening. I chose the parts that I did as most of them are protected in-board of the chassis and would not be easily bent like aluminum control arms or shock towers would.

I will contact nitro house to see if they cant help me out with the parts to upgrade to PBS and 8mm axles.

As for getting a new kit... I am not interested in replacing this truck. It has sentimental ties to it and I would like it to get a second life. I get parts pretty cheaply so I am not worried about buying the things that I need to rebuild the truck.

I think he means youll save money buy buying the new car and using its parts for your blazer,instead of piecing together all the parts you need individually
midnight08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOTCHA.... I didn't follow that one...

Im not too worried about it, like i said, i can get parts pretty cheaply. I just ordered most of what I will need to start the build. this included brand new diff housings, a complete diff kit (includes diff casing, all six gears, bearings, cups, o-rings etc..) new A-arms, new half shafts and universals for the front and rear new 17mm hub adapters, body mounts, etc...etc... and got it all for 65 bucks.

it will pretty much be a new truck by the time im done with it.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So justin, what color kit did you want, anodized Ofna Blue or nat al?
I grab'd nat al, given your current silver/black anodizing but I figured I better ask..
midnight08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

You assumed correct. I would like the Natural aluminum kit.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnight08 wrote:
Ron,

You assumed correct. I would like the Natural aluminum kit.

You have e-mail.
midnight08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if these Integy center diff mounts for an OFNA LX one will work on my monster blazer?

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=5933&p_catid=133
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnight08 wrote:
Anyone know if these Integy center diff mounts for an OFNA LX one will work on my monster blazer?

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=5933&p_catid=133

Yes, it will bolt on the monster blazers chassis, BUT note that the old Ultra trans top plate is not compatable with the updated Ultra trans mounts.
Fortunitely, you have both the old and updated trans top plates in the GT Kit.
Also, the Y-brace will need to be modified slightly to accommodate, as the updated trans plate mounting holes are spread just slightly further apart.
midnight08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any recommendations on starting points for front and rear diff oil and front and rear shock oil?

I am running Losi 15mm shocks on this truck with Losi black springs. I am thinking that maybe 50 wt. in the front and 45 wt. in the rear?

As for the front diff i was thinking something like 5K and in the rear diff i was thinking something like 7K?

Anyone have anything to say about this?
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW........

Diff lube- 3-5 in the front, 5-7 in the rear.

Shock oil- 40-50 front, 30-40 rear.

Losi black springs rating, are they soft, hard, other?
I use the old supershocks with the stock silver springs in the rear, and the hard springs up front to reduce scrubbing..

So you making any progress?
midnight08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the losi black springs are 2.3x 5.0 spring rate in the front and a 3.1x3.4 spring rate in the rear

I am making head way with the truck... the final pieces for it came in today I believe. So hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will have it completely back together. I will make sure to post some pictures when I get it all put back together.

I will definitely post a review of how different the truck is after i install your center spool kit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: