FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Picco .26max woes - break-in issues are status quo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Picco Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

revel8or

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Picco .26max woes - break-in issues are status quo. Reply with quote

I bought the .26max a year ago. I got it to run for about 1 and a 1/2 tank using break-in settings, then the temp skyrocketed to 270. When I called OFNA, they recommended that I richen the LSN to a millimeter out from the ball end (the throttle ball connector) and 3 and 1/2 turns out from flush for the HSN. They were already at those settings. :(

I shelved the dang thing and ran my savage for the rest of the year.

This year, I took the .26max and started over. It started for about 4 seconds then died. It is now in pieces - fuel leaks from the rear cover and from the front bearing. The LSN outer o-ring is wormy, and fuel has worked its way up the LSN almost to the outer o-ring. The HSN looks great. I couldn't remove the carb pin to take the carb off. I had to use pliers and elbow grease.

A new front bearing (ceramic from Boca), needles, o rings, and carb pin are on order.

I hope that the excursion into the 270 realm didn't screw up the piston and sleeve, but the pinch was still very, very good. I suspect that the air leaks are the culprits...

I'm going to seal the engine when I get the parts and get it back together.

This is definately not an engine for the timid or a newb.

I'll post with results when it's together.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you doing is perfect, the 270 deg. dont do any harm to the eng. internals. Once you get the engine seal and the orings on the engine should be ready for battle. GL
revel8or

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Picco .26 max o-ring sizes Reply with quote

Hey all.

It's been slow getting this project together, I have to admit.

Work, family, and too much ps3 are all to blame.

So, here's the scoop. I found that getting o-rings for the low speed needle [LSN] was a little challenging. Nitrohouse came through in the end with excellent customer service, btw, so I'll be going back to them for future purchases.

What I found, however, was that they are veritably the only supplier for OFNA/Picco brand o-rings for the Picco 26max. I would assume that it is the same for the JL red dot version, too.

When I ordered the o-rings, I screwed up the first pair of LSNs - one split when I was putting it on. The reorder took a long time due to a backorder. There was no reference that I could find that listed the size of the o-rings, and I stupidly threw away the torn up ones.

Once I got the new ones delivered, it seemed logical to do something about the lack of information on these elusive little pieces of unobtanium.

If you are in a pinch (get it - cylinder, "pinch" hahahahaha) and need to get *something* that works, here are the measurements of the o rings and their corresponding names and part numbers:

Part Number...........Name.................................Size
    51316.......................o-ring, rear cover...............24x21mm
    51402.......................o-ring, main needle.............5x2mm
    51437.......................o-ring carb lock pin.............5x4mm
    51478.......................o-ring exhaust P2...............15x13mm
    51487.......................o-rings, low end, max 21....4x2mm
    51489.......................o-ring venturi.....................12x11mm
    51523.......................o-ring, carb........................14x12mm

I used good lighting (I'm old) and a ruler with 1/2mm graduation for measurement.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Picco Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: