FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Servo Selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> 9.5 Buggy Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

drpower72

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Servo Selection Reply with quote

Hi there, I had no idea there were so many OFNA fans! I live in Western Canada and not only are there very few RC enthusiasts, of them there are even fewer that own this brand. I have a 9.5 MBX 1/8 Buggy bought new in the states 5 years ago. My question is, what servos should I run? Particularly for throttle/brake? I have a Hitec hs-985mg in mind but it's kind of '$up there$' And should I switch to a 2.4Ghz system that comes with everything and do away with the AM? All suggestions appreciated.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hitec HS645MG will work just fine. Yes, switching to 2.4 gHz is going to be a giant step up for you. No glitching, built in fail safe, almost endless adjustments, and you will never have to worry about crystals again.
drpower72

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Hitec has been given a high grade from what I've seen by RC'ers. Spektrum makes affordable DX2 and DX3 2.4GHz systems. Would those be a good consideration or should I look further and spend more$? 2 and 3 channel. I believe a 2 channel would be sufficient, what do people use a third channel for? I have a Revo, in case reverse gear needs it or something I don't know I bought it used with only forward gears installed so i have yet to try a nitro reverse system. Also in case anyone has cared to read this far, have you noticed that the 9.5 MBX model is rarely seen as far as parts and advertisements go? Is it old and phased out now? I see the Violator now and again but mostly Ravager and LX One and Hyper. I have some parts on mine that came stock that I see are upgrades for other cars so it must be an upgraded higher model and it was more $ than most of them at purchase but maybe I'm wrong idk. Information is seldom come by 'round these parts, especially for OFNA stuff so excuse the clueless approach, LOL! Whatever, I'm just rambling on and have to say I'm happy with my car and love winning auctions on eBay to keep her looking and running awesome, plus I am the only OFNA guy around here which makes my car intriguing to some, and annoying to others when its doing 52Mph(Venom Speedo)
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hitec servos are quality servos along with others such as JR, Futaba, Ace, and Airtonics to name a few.

I personally run JR but since you mentioned Hitec, that is the direction I pointed you.

The 9.5 is "old school" as far as Buggies go. However, they are excellent Buggies and parts are still widely available.

I used a Spektrum DX3.0 for many years and loved the radio. The third channel is handy if you have a vehicle with reverse or need to use the third channel for something else like lights or an additional servo.

I am currently using the Spektrum DX3S and like it even more than the DX3.0. The DX3S is lighter, has more features, and has a ten model memory.
drpower72

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the DX3.0/reciever for $150 and a Hitec HS-645MG servo from eBay for $200. Would have been close to $350 from my local shop. I also won a .28 Force Motor for $90. The DX3S is definitely cool looking, I watched a YouTube video for it and the menu scroll alone is really interesting. I have the same servo as mentioned that has been running the steering since a week after purchase 5 years ago. I'm thinking of giving it a less stressfull job and using it as the Throttle/brake servo and putting the new one in for steering, does this make sense? When it comes to the clutch bell, does more teeth increase speed while reducing torque? How about Aluminum shoes? Really appreciate your input, and so do my friends that get the second hand info from me. The weather couldn't be worse for outdoor activities right now, I wish someone had an indoor track like they do in the States.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the HS-985MG is a higher torque servo than the 645, I would leave the 985 to steering duties.

Yes, more teeth on the clutch bell equals higher top speed and less torque.

Typically, most racers run aluminum shoes. They will usually have a higher bite and last longer than composite shoes. I have had oustanding results with these:

Dynamite Max Life Clutch Shoes

Oh, BTW, if you haven't already done so, do yourself a favor and get a rechargeable battery pack for the receiver ... something like this:

Hump Pack

and charger:

Charger
drpower72

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So funny, I walked in and put a new hump back in front of me that I bought today 1600ma and went on to my computer. But I have two 645 servo, they are the same but ones new so I thought to put the old one as a Throttle. I got the 645 because i won an auction for cheap is why. Also I ended up buying a really high quality charger, charges in selectable modes, I charge with 1amp and it has an alarm to tell you to disconnect it. I'm getting awesome response so far in the Revo. Can you post some pictures of your cars? I'll do it once all my stuff is the way I want it. I just looked at those clutch shoes, good price and I'll get them but I guess I should expect my current springs to fit just fine then? because they don't come with any.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current springs will work just fine. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them though.

My RC Stuff
drpower72

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I saw that you're online right now. I looked at your profile, said you are a fisherman. I am a Salmon/Halibut Fishing Guide in the Queen Charlotte Islands, BC Canada. I put a wanted ad up for a GTP roller, any suggestions concerning on road 1/8 scale?
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drpower72 wrote:
I am a Salmon/Halibut Fishing Guide in the Queen Charlotte Islands, BC Canada. I put a wanted ad up for a GTP roller, any suggestions concerning on road 1/8 scale?

That's very cool ... I fish in salt water, typically targeting Speckled Trout and Red Fish.

I am an off-road racer and back yard basher so, I can't help you with on-road stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> 9.5 Buggy Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: