FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
got my new hyper what about running 1/8 escs and motors
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 1:10 Electric SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

alkyt4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: got my new hyper what about running 1/8 escs and motors Reply with quote

hi guys new to the boards just got my hyper in friday. took it to the track on saturday stock setup with the piston mods in the rear shocks.. was running my old faithful mamba max with the 4600kv 11 tooth pinion after about 5 laps my motor took a dump.. well ive got a 5700 coming what i was wondering is i have a mamba monster and a losi xcelorin 1/8 combos what about running the losi in it 7 volts 11 volts? i dont know what do you guys think.. im currently running 7 volts and have a few now but i wouldnt be opposed to buying a couple 11 volts.. if im gong completely in the wrong direction please let me know..
the losi seems like it would be better than the monster just based on weight..

well my first few laps were great until the motor crapped out. .. my buddys all have slash 4x4s and couldnt believe how fast the hyper was normally im tailing behind with the ole sc10 this time they couldnt keep up..

after the motor fiasco i dropped in a velinion slash take out in and ran another lap and broke a rear a arm i hope this does not become a problem any one else have issues with the plastic parts.. i ordered a pile of replacement parts from nitro house waiting on em now.
i originally was wanting the jammin scrt but got impatient... did i make the right choice????
thanks in advance any help will be appreciated
corey
T-Bone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. Not real good with 8scale systems, but i'll give you my personal opinion. I have both the HYPER 10 and the SCRT10. So far the Hyper has not broke. My son drives it and this is his first 4x4. While learning to drive the 4x4 he has noise-dived alot! The top brace on the front bumper is cracked, but not broken. We were using a HAVOC PRO with 6.5 BALLISTIC and it ran like a rocket! The system, havoc pro, smoked last weekend and it's on it way back for second time. Any way the truck is very TUFF. I have heard of people breaking the upper and lower A arm, but when you asked them how it happen, they will always say they try to push to hard or jump to far. It happens.
On the Jammin i'm using a MMP with HV5.5 geared right now with 17t.
This system too me has worked GREAT! I have broke many times but it's not the trucks falt. I can't help it when the truck is so strong and fast. I push it way too hard. The SCRT10 out of box has better off power stearing. Thats the biggest difference. I love both kits, each has its own style and there GREAT!!!!
Using 10th scale ESC and HV motors with 2cell Lipo is the best way to go right now. Ilike it so much the HYPER 10SC has a MMP and HV4.5 coming soon.
YES Nitro house had the HV4.5 for $99.00. can't waite!
alkyt4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. im planning on buying the jammin too as soon as they are back in stock at tower. do you think the 5700 castle will be ok for now i hear a lot of people talking about the novak stuff. are you having esc problems or motor problems.. i would like to keep my mamba its been great ive been having it since they came out so its an oldy but still running and has been through a dozen cars.. but ive been through 4 castle motors now the novak motor is sensored right? so i would have to get the new mamba pro? and the novak 4.5 is what youre saying right? 3mm shaft or 5.?
T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Novak ESC has been my problem. The HV 5.5 is what i've been running and it's way fast. Lots of tork and never over heats. The HV 4.5 i just got today from Nitro House. They had them on sale. I would say your 5700 will be fine but make sure you add cooling fan and heat sink. The HV's are 5mm. The Ballistic is 3mm. The Jammin kit comes with 3mmto5mm adpter. I love my MMP it's has been solid sofar!!! Waiting on another one to come in and bye bye to the HAVOC PRO It will only be used for my Losi Strike. Set your droop at 90MM in front and 95MM rear. Makes a big difference is the way the truck handles.

Good Luck!! It's all fun now!!
alkyt4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the info i ordered the hv 4.5 and the havoc pro 199 couldnt go wrong i quess. if i have troubles with the havoc ill ditch it and get the mmp no one has the mmp in stock now. ill set the droop for sure thanks again
i was beginning to wonder if anyone came on this forum been quiet....
T-Bone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea not sure why no one else post here any more. I guess rc tech and short coure forams are were everyone have gone to. I check this site almost everyday. Good luck with the HAVOC PRO. When it works it's great. Make sure you take out all drag break when you set it up. What type of track will you be running it on? I bleave you should start with the stock pinion just to ge a feel and jump to a 17t or better if the track is indoor and on the small size. Remember the HV motor like to be ran aroung the 145 deg mark but i havn't been able to get that hot yet. Your going to love it. HV4.5 BIG POWER MEGA TORK!!!!
alkyt4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im always out doors running at a local track i would say half the size of the revalation raceway track in the famous hyper video.. also we do a lot or running at a buddys backyard track both tracks are fairly technical and have one long straight.. 29-30 second laps for the 1\8 electrics at the local track not sure at my friends just havin fun thank for the help
T-Bone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck and have fun. My LHS just changed the Track. Next week will be fun!
alkyt4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran the 5700 with my mamba sunday never got over 130 on the motor according to my telemetry on the spektrum.. i was running the 11 tooth pinion.. my hv was supposed to be in today but nitrohouse had it with signature confirmation.. that sucks now i gotta wait another day. so far im not to impressed with there shipping i quess im too spoiled on tower hobbies order it on monday have it by wednesday..

i did manage to break a front a arm about 5 minutes in after i changed it im sorry to say i punished it the rest of the day and nothing else broke and it was muddy and nasty the trucks wieght about 8 pounds after a 10 minute run all the mud packs in the body..
T-Bone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about nitro house. I order on line and have it shipped to my work address. So far i've had no issues. I'm not too happy right now. I poped my MMP and had to send it backed. My bad didn't have my glasses on and pluged the battery backwards. DAM! i have never done that. OHOOWell! I have one on back order so i can only hope it comes in this week. Our kit came with the upgrade upper arms and nose pice for bumper. Have not used them yet.
I spoke with DJ and he told me they have a new front bumper. You might check in to it.
alkyt4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this out i got my order from nitro house they sent me just the hv motor not the combo.. wow another 2 days there overnighting it and i changed it to come to my work cant wait to try it out i reset my droop and put the limiters on my shocks tonight.. i also cut out my battery tray to lay my batteries down. after running this weekend i noticed i rolled the truck a couple times coming into hard corners.. i did change my center diff to 5000.. it did have oil in it not sure what weight.
do you know what comes in the front and rear im thinking about 5ooo in the front maybe 3000 in the rear.. thanks for the help ive been scoping out rctech.net lots of info but lots of wining to
T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that sucks. I havn't had any problem with Nitro house. I'm not sure about new kits but mine came with grease grease grease... my SCRT10 has front 3000,centrer 5000, and rear 1000 or 2000 can't remember. I did do the battery mod when i first got it and it has always worked well. They just released the new chase and it will allow you to move battery back for more rear weight. I love castle they are repairing my MMP for FREE!!!! man that's cool. I just got the MMP i've had on order for three month... YEPEEE!!! No more HAVOC PRO for me. I'll use it on the LOSI STRIKE. It did better on that truck. Now my Son can't waite his HYPER 10SC will be powered by MMP, HV5.5 and he can't waite for me to get it put on. Guess i know what i'll be doing tonight
When you get it all instaled let me know what you think. You will find more gear is not a bad thing for the HV4.5.
Waldog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my input FWIW

I was running the Traxxas VXL system and my ESC fried (the on/off button became hosed and caused it to fry)...

In the mean time I bought a sidewinder setup and used my VXL motor with that ESC and even with timing and curve turned down the ESC would get hot and try to go into thermo... my LHS said this should not happen because the VXL motor is less KV than the sidewinder motor. I was running 3s which the sidewider claims it can handle... when I was running 2s it would not overheat, but I don't own any 2s batteries and I couldn't purchase any due to the fact I dumped my money into a new esc while my traxxas one was out for warranty...

on another note my friend has the same truck and tried the 1/8 mamba setup and has toasted TWO motors... we are both running stock gearing...

anyways, what we found that works totally fine, no heat issues and plenty of power is the VXL system, ESC and motor... you can even run 3s which works for me because i can't invest in new batts right now...

i'm guess it has to do with gearing, but it didn't seem like there are any other option to gear it lower than the stock gearing. I purchased the smaller pinion from nitrohouse, but I don't have a clue how you use it as it doesn't work like other pinions...

T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say sofar the only ESC and Motor that runs cool with lots of tork is the HV motors with 10th scale ESC's. Two cell lipos work great with this set up. Here in Texas a lot of the 1/8 scale drivers are using this same set up with great results. How ever you still need to use motor heatsink and fans on the 1/8 truggys and buggys. 1/8 scale is using the MMP on three cell with HV 6.5,5.5. The sensored HV is very smooth power with all the tork to make the big jumps.
T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with Castle's warranty dept. My MMP is on it's way back. I sent it in last Monday the 1st and it's on it's way back today. I blew it up and they warranty it. GREAT JOB CASTLE!!!!!!!!!! Novak is still prossing my HAVOC PRO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 1:10 Electric SC All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: