FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Racing the Hyper ST...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

OhioHyperST

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Racing the Hyper ST... Reply with quote

I've been working on the setup per the notes on the OFNA forums and the Hyper ST looks about ready to race this spring. Shock oil and position setups were really helpful along with changing diff oil.

Does anyone else on here race the Hyper ST and what suggestions do you have. I still have the Mac28 and runs ok... will try to use this upcoming season as long as possible. I have noticed that the Mac28 only runs on Byrons fuel (20%).

Hopefully this forum can get some more action... I really appreciate the insight from other OFNA/HoBao fans.
Casketman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a Picco P3 with good results. Plenty of power for the truck.

Its been to long since Ive raced the truck to give any other setup tips. But the itch is slowly coming back so it might not be long till I am able to help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey OhioHyperST,

I still run the Hyper ST ... follow the sticky for setup info especially the shock positions. Here's my current setup that includes the "sticky" shock postitions:

Shocks: 40wt front - 50wt rear - 4 hole pistons. I recently changed from 30wt front - 40wt back. Not certain whether I like the current shock weight.
Diffs: 7k front - 10k center- 3k rear
Ackerman - back holes
Front sway bar - as loose as it can be. Actually I have been thinking about removing it.
Rear sway bar - somewhat tight

Since the Hyper ST brakes are worthless in the stock form, you might want to do the brake mod here: Nitrohouse Brake Mod

I run a Nova N21BF with a dynamite 053 pipe. Our track is small and technical. Since our track is small, I run a 13 tooth clutch bell. It is also important to use a high torque steering servo such as: High Torque Servo
OhioHyperST

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out the brake upgrade... already did the oils for the shocks and positions on the shock towers. Also I bought a Hitec high torque servo. Proline Crimefighters on dished rims. Hi-down force wing. Other than that, it's stock. Will be getting a Kyosho STRR crowd pleaser lid to customize. Looks like it is a good fit for the ST.

Glad to see some love for the Hyper ST... last year I raced with buggys a couple times because of turnout and really held my own with the stock MacStar 28. Not sure if it was just my engine but it will only run on the Byrons 20% blend. I printed off a motor sheet from HoBao and they only recommend the Byrons for the motor. Bad idea using the Top Fuel that I use on the Tmaxx I guess.

Keep the info coming and wishing you and your families a Happy 2010!!!
smith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still race my ST Pro and I love it I run on a smooth dusty track.

I run the 16mm shocks but I run the setup from nitrohouse (Rob B) it is the best setup to run. But I use blue springs all around I think they are a little to soft but I run 45wt all around so far so good for that.

I do not run a sway bar up front I think it gives me more steering, I have also have done to break mod best thing you can do for the truck.

I have also switch over to the x1 CRT fuel tank and radio box also really good mods to do.

Just order the kyosho gearing for my ST I will be using 43T bevel and 10T pinion and a 46T Spur gear I will let you know how it goes.

I cut a lot of wait off of my center diff plate and a lot of wait off my chassis front and rear braces. I also put the losi 8T side guards.

I think that is all I have done good luck with your ST and your racing.
OhioHyperST

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "Smith" for the info... the Losi side guard sound like a good idea. Are they a direct fit for the Hyper ST?
OhioHyperST

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question:
Will the OFNA truggy starter box work with the MacStar.28 (with the pull start on)? I think it would be much easier than than a pull start...

Any suggestions?
smith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the losi side guards are not a direct fix I had to drill a few holes. Yes to bump box will work with the pull start still on but I would get a back plate that motor but if I was you I would just get a new motor. Maybe a Werks B5 its $200 and has some great power.

Or you could get to new Force JL.21 It is supposed to be a great motor.
OhioHyperST

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tech guy at A-main said to consider the LRP Z .28R truggy race engine and from what I've researched I think that is a good choice (especially since it's $169). It is a pull start model, but I'm sure the starter box would work on it.

Your thoughts...?
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if you really need a .28 engine. They are gas hogs and can be too much power. Talk to the other Truggy racers at your local track and see what they are running. I'll bet a good .21 will do everything you need. Might want to consider:

Nitrohouse .21

A-Main .21
OhioHyperST

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

triplebvalp wrote:
Wondering if you really need a .28 engine. They are gas hogs and can be too much power. Talk to the other Truggy racers at your local track and see what they are running. I'll bet a good .21 will do everything you need. Might want to consider:

Nitrohouse .21

A-Main .21

I've heard nothing but positive things about the Novarossi engines... the one on A-main looks like a great deal. I would be required to get a starter box then for sure. Does the Hyper ST need any changes to adapt to the OFNA truggy (blue) starter box? THanks for the head's up on the links... sometimes I wonder if the tech guys have their favs and push everyone that way. I'm trying to make the Hyper ST competitive and not break the bank... four kids to raise
OhioHyperST

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home track rules for Nitro Truggy: Engines up to .30max

Being winter indoor season not much nitro talk in Ohio (as I type it's snowing outside)... However, the Columbus RC Club is running nitro right now and it looks like the .21 is the main talk on the forums (even mentioned the Nova BF)... Looks like I better put that mill on the "wish list" and get my order in?
H9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest not getting a .28 - they're good for bashing, not so good for racing. We get 20 - 30 truggys to our club days, and 12 months ago a high proportion of them were running .28's. Now, there would only be two or three still running them - everyone has 'seen the light' and switched back to the more manageable and less thirsty .21.
If you do want something bigger, check out the new .25 OS.

As for setup, I prefer heavier diff oils (10-15 front, 20-30 centre, 2-3 rear), with 50w in the 16mm shocks (blue springs currently cos thats all I have). I also like to run a wide offset with the wheels, seems to keep it a lot more planted. Depending on which rims I'm using, I'll fit the 10mm hub extenders for grass track with Hobao rims and Grinders or Diamonds, or take them off and fit the wider offset Proline rims with Crimefighters / Bowties for clay.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhioHyperST wrote:
I would be required to get a starter box then for sure. Does the Hyper ST need any changes to adapt to the OFNA truggy (blue) starter box? THanks for the head's up on the links... sometimes I wonder if the tech guys have their favs and push everyone that way. I'm trying to make the Hyper ST competitive and not break the bank... four kids to raise

I use the Ofna chrome top/blue body box and it works well with a 12v gel cell battery. Yeah, I think tech guys push what there big vendors want ... The Nova N21BF is a good mill ... run a McCoy MC-8 plug in summer and McCoy MC-59 in winter with 20% Fuel ... If your a 30% racer, use the MC-8 for winter and MC-9 for summer. I am not certain how the Nova will respond to the RTR pipe ... The Dynamite 053 works well on small tracks and I understand the Dynamite 086 works well on larger tracks.
Casketman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a large amount of good motors out on the market. Both in the .21 and .28 classes.

Although some on here will swear by their motor or give you their thoughts which is always a good thing.
One thing you should consider is what are the main motors run at your local track. That way if your not a master at tuning,you will always be able to find local help from someone that runs that same motor or make of motor(OS,RB,and so on).

Now if you think of yourself as a good tuner,then that last comment there wouldnt really apply to you lol.

The main motor I ran in my truck was a Ninja but those were made by GRP at that time. Now they are made by OS and they are still good motors but some have stopped using them because they are made by OS and they prefer the GRP made motors. Sadly,parts are not that easy to get and finding one on Ebay means that the motor has been run like crazy and has been rebuilt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: