FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Tested the Jl engine
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> JL Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Tested the Jl engine Reply with quote

I have been running a prototype and a production version for some time and I can really say that this engine runs very very well, it has the speed and smooth bottom end. I have put the engines through the ringer from running clean lines to full out drifting the corners to see if the engine would give out soon for an engine that runs a street price around $200.00. I still have the prototype as a back now and the full production in my Hyper 9, the production had several test of shimming, changing carbs and running different glow plugs, put in the factor of practicing hard, racing club races and doing the Nitrohouse Labor Day open in September and getting a 4th place finish in a 40minute main. No flame outs from the engine during the racing and the engine was in good form that day. Right now I have a hard time putting my Picco back in because this engine runs so good, I have guys at the track say that engine runs well and has a different engine sound to it to the point that it sound like an on-road engine with such a high pitch. I've had people try it out and they were really checking the engine out afterwards and what it may cost. To have a very competitive price on the market at this point in time makes this engine a choice to have you won't be dissapointed, I 'm hoping to get the engine on a video to show soon.
Casketman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice with the video. DJ isnt lyin. I talked to him a couple weeks back and from how he was sounding. I thought I might have to get him a towel or something to clean himself up!

For the record. What did you test and run in the races with the motor just so everyone knows. Shims? Pipes? Fuel? Plugs? and so on.

If I didnt have this Orion CRF motor. I would jump on the JL....I still could haha. But then I have a $300+ motor sitting in the bag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my objective was to run the crap out of it over and over again,after the break-in, did some very hard runs in night and day conditions, ran a few times lean with temps high and then bring it back to normal temps like 230. Tried a JP-4 and a JP-2, also hot plugs and cold plugs(piccos) then took off a shim after a half a gallon, still needed to run hard to make it fail but no breaks or failures, then ran a 40min main from start to finish no flame outs and even blew out diff drive and still ran the race with the engine running freed up with only front wheel drive, I tried to max out the rpms during the race and then pace but still no flame from the plug. When I test they want to make sure it just doesn't pace the track, run it hard then soft but in the end it was good and I'm impressed.
Casketman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you get a good setup for what works best for you with this motor that others could start with? At least what plug and final shim count and whatever.
Or was your goal to just beat the thing to death? lol

Took out a shim? From the stock setup right? You didnt add any?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mechanic77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: JL engine Reply with quote

Any idea on lifespan? (how many gallons?) Also, have you had a chance to try any other pipes? I'm really interested in this engine, but with 5 or 6 new engines on the market in the sub $250 range, it's hard to commit :)
rkhess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this motor based of the P5? looks really good
easyryder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to give one a try, anyone else have info?
rkhess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easyryder wrote:
Im going to give one a try, anyone else have info?

LOL i seen your post on tech ...let me know how it goes
easyryder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running Sh motors for years, time for change and this looks right up my alley.
easyryder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joker_1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of getting some photos up for this motor as i'd like to see more on it
easyryder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, the engine is great!!

easyryder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke in It is nasty!!
Casketman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my EVo 2 is my main motor so I might be looking to this motor next as my main mill or backup.
I look forward to some good test and tune setup tips(pipe,plug,runtime)
easyryder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by easyryder on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> JL Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: