FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
installed rear toe in plate part 27004, need advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

triplebvalp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bpoates25,

Although, I do not race a Buggy (only Truggy), I have seen the Hyper nine in action and it is extremely impressive. The track that I race at has an Ofna sponsered driver ... Joey Powell ... although he has moved from the area. I did get to see him run the Hyper 9 before he moved and all I can say is Wooooooooow ... impressive.

Now, I am a die hard Truggy fan and racer. At our last club race, there were not enough 1/8th scale racers to make up a seperate Buggy and Truggy class so, we raced the Buggies with the Truggies. I came in 1st place Truggy with my Hyper ST Pro running against two 1/8th scale Brushless Buggies and another 1/8th scale Brushless Truggy. Actually caught and passed the 1st place Buggy on the tenth lap of the Main (7 minute main) but, got stuck in a mud pit (rained all week prior to the race), and fell behind the Buggy.

Still finished 1st as Truggy and ahead of the 2nd place Buggy. Morale of story, I love the Truggy class ... somewhat forgiving yet still competitive against the Buggy class.

If I were to get into Buggy racing, I would definately look into the Hyper 9.
H9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should qualify my statement that buggy is more competitive - Not sure how your tracks are constructed, but I find the truggy just as fast around the track as the buggy because things like track piping, corner obstacles etc can generally be driven over (with two wheels) by a truggy, whereas doing the same thing with a buggy would usually lose you time.

I found it a lot harder going from truggy to buggy than vice versa, for this reason. With a buggy, you have to be more precise with where you drive, and how you get past slower vehicles. I'll also say that without a doubt driving a buggy for a couple of meetings makes my truggy driving better.

Love both classes, but if I had to choose I would probably stick with buggy.
bpoates25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your thoughts. i might give a buggy a chance.
peace
Casketman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H9 is spot on. Its a whole different beast when driving a buggy compared to a truggy.

The same is said for the level of racing as well.
Not everyone is able to make the jump from one class to the other so just be sure to give it time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
H9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all this talk, I decided to give the ST a run at our club day yesterday (Sunday). Only 20 truggy entries, but I managed a respectable 4th overall, 3 laps clear of 5th place. (Only just) beaten by an '09 spec XT8 and two MBX6T's.

Its certainly nowhere near as agile or quick as the Hyper 9 though! I was squeezing the bejesus out of the trigger trying to make it accelerate faster!

Not bad for a truggy thats approaching its third birthday!
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey H9,

Good job ... I managed a second place last Saturday with my Hyper ST Pro. The last few months, Truggies have been few and far between at our club races. I was the only Truggy in a race with 5 Buggies. 3 of which were brushless. Managed to maintain 2nd place throughout the 7 minute main.
Casketman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the time and money to run my truck again. After I put on the BCE chassis. It sat and has not seen any track time. Hell,the chassis has still yet to have a motor bolted to it. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casketman wrote:
I wish I had the time and money to run my truck again. After I put on the BCE chassis. It sat and has not seen any track time. Hell,the chassis has still yet to have a motor bolted to it. Sad

Well now Casketman, that just won't do ... go ahead and mount an engine and then send the Hyper ST to me for a complete check out
H9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah mine was sitting motor-less for quite a few months. Picked up a second-hand JP modified P5 for it a couple of weeks ago which prompted me to run it last weekend to see what it was like.

The good thing about running a truggy with the buggys triplebvalp is that you can just drive over the top of them if they get in your way!
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H9 wrote:

The good thing about running a truggy with the buggys triplebvalp is that you can just drive over the top of them if they get in your way!

Been there, done that
bpoates25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright all this talk about the buggy verse truggy deal has me thinkin i might give a buggy a try and see if it can improve my driving. seems like you are correct that a buggy is less forgiving than a large tire truggy H9. i think itll help. i have a old ultra lx one with a-lot of upgrades enough to race. now i need ta tear it down change fluids get it ready ta race or at least practice with if i seem to be improving i might check in to the 9.
major congrats trip on the brushless beatdown. ha ha! great work!
thanks guys for the thoughts!
came across a great deal on the lx one 150 for buggy under a year old jp-3 futaba 3pm 2.4 and a spare .21 force i think. 5 sets of tires and a box of tools and parts coulnd pass that up. i think i can get some good hot laps in with it anyway!
peace!
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bpoates25,

If you got a buggy, you need to take to the track ... there is no doubt that driving a buggy will hone your truggy skills.
bpoates25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree. i would like to put some better shocks on it but at the same time i am trying to keep it simple. i mean it is just a lx1. good enough to practice and as you say hone some needed skills.
i just dont have time at this point. work is taking over.
ill get it there soon as possible.
not sure about my st. dont know if i want ta keep it top of the line and spend more cash on such a old machine. great dont get me wrong just getting old. ready just ta get at the track.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "hints" on this Forum of a Hyper ST 9 or whatever it might be called, I am going to "milk" my ST along as long as I can.
H9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah same. There's a whiff of a new truggy in the air...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: