FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
installed rear toe in plate part 27004, need advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

bpoates25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: installed rear toe in plate part 27004, need advice? Reply with quote

hey i founds some old parts and installed the rear toe-in plate. part 27004
i noticed the rear wheels have almost no toe in now. whats this gonna do for me when i run her? im thinking i might have a looser rear and could slide corners? am i correct?
any advice would help me understand this.
thanks in advance.
diffs are 10 7 3..
bpoates25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhhhhh thats what it will do for my truck never knew that! common people i know the 9 is great but lets not forgett ta help evryone if we know.
thanks if you can tell me a little somethin! i know the st is old but not dead. (hope not at least)
peace brothers!
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, less rear toe will result in a looser rear end along with less stable at on power corner exit and braking. This information is from the Hudy setup guide book.

BTW, hope you have your diff oils typed wrong ... I run 5F/7C/3R.
bpoates25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i was thinking. not sure if im gonna like that. probably not.
and yeah i have 10 in the front. ive ran that before and liked it. ive ran 573 its not bad.
smith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 5 7 3 and I love it the truck turns like a camp.
bpoates25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think with the rear toe in taken away and a stiff diff in front (10) would just be asking for a outta controll rear end. consistant fish tails. not going foreward and sliding all over the track is not gonna work.
i like lutz style of a loose rear and drifting corners on power. i noticed nitrohouse was running thick tha thick (10) front ta rear. so i tried it and liked the on power slides around corners. it takes skills not to over do it and end up sideways mid turn. with the toe in taken outta my truck i think it will be undrivable. so im gonna put the metal piece back in and give her the stock toe in. keep my diffs set up and run it and the go back to the 753 then 573 and posibbly try the part that takes out the toe in. still learning the set ups and what i like. not racing at the moment so i can spend time trying differant combinatios.

a question about brakes i have my rear set up stiffer than my front. this is usually the standered i think and i run 4 hole pistons with 2 holes drilled out a hair larger 14mm stock grey springs with med spacer in front and thin in rear. i run 45 all the way around. any suggestions on some other set ups for my shocks. this set up is great i just like to try new things. i can always change things back to what i had at first.

people who are running the st and have a nice set up working well let me know what youve done.

i like playing with different things .

thanks for the input.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setup, as you know, is track dependant and driver dependant so, one persons setup may not work for another driver.

Anyway, on our small techinical track, I run:

1. Nova N21BF/053 pipe/20% Nitro
2. Shocks = 35F/40R stock 4 hole pistons and springs. Spaced level in front and slightly above level in rear. Shock position is the same as the "sticky" setup.
3. Diffs = 5F/7C/3R
4. Ackerman on the rear holes.
5. Brakes are setup with the stiffening post mod with Avid Phenolic disk up front and the Fiber disk in the rear. I run about 70% brake in the rear.
smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

triplebvalp wrote:
Setup, as you know, is track dependant and driver dependant so, one persons setup may not work for another driver.

Anyway, on our small techinical track, I run:

1. Nova N21BF/053 pipe/20% Nitro
2. Shocks = 35F/40R stock 4 hole pistons and springs. Spaced level in front and slightly above level in rear. Shock position is the same as the "sticky" setup.
3. Diffs = 5F/7C/3R
4. Ackerman on the rear holes.
5. Brakes are setup with the stiffening post mod with Avid Phenolic disk up front and the Fiber disk in the rear. I run about 70% brake in the rear.

I have that same motor but its in peaces I was thinking of putting it in my truck but was not sure if it will be able to move it around the track as well as I would like. So what do you think of the motor in the truck thanks.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our small techinical track, the Nova N21BF is more than enough engine in the Hyper ST.
H9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the dry and dusty clay tracks here, I've been running 20,000 / 30,000 / 3,000 (no, thats not typo's!), with 50w oil in the front shocks and 40w in the rear. Heavy clutch springs (1.1mm) with a 13t clutch bell on my RB WS7III. Here's an old video with that setup - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTmutSoHIg

I've only raced the ST once this year, since getting the 9!

(here's the same footage in slo-mo, to a good bit of music! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0VrrwyTihs)
bpoates25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the input! h9 i remeber about a year ago watching your vids on youtube. they were my pic of best vids. the slow mow is great. the sound and film go hands up better than some others. i like ta watch the suspension travel and see the truck attack the track at slow speeds. puts things in perspective. who was the track you have on the vid? it worked.
i noticed on your other (fast clip) you had more traction then the red truck. you carried more speed on a better track through the corners. im thinkin thats the heavy diff set up.
trip i need ta get the fiber disc and yeah i did the post mod made a noticable difference. i hope the next/new st has cf or a better servo trey.
i want a .21 for fuel. the .28 are tough yet i dont need all that power until im a expert driver. the .28 can make a good driver worse i feel.
anyways thanks ta all the old skool st drivers.
i dont care what people might say but this truck has been fun.
with that being said common ofna its time! how bout hyper 9st?
H9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I never get sick of watching the slo-mo, like you say you can really see the suspension etc at work. The track is at Geraldton, about 4 hours north of Perth in Western Australia.
I also ran 10mm hub extenders on that track, which kept it stable. I tried all sorts of diff oil combinations, but running super heavy was the best. Theres another video under my name at the same track from an earlier meeting. This had the same setup, but heavier shock oils which made the rear kick up a bit too much. This was the main final, and I should have won it except for I missed the first 7 minutes of the race when the rear upright swivel pin snapped a minute before the start...

I love driving my ST, but with a Hyper 9 in the stable there's not enough love to share around this year!
bpoates25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SPENT ALL NIGHT LOOKING AT THE MUGEN MBX6 & 6T. I WANT TA KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE H9? IS IT DURABLE? AND HOW IS IT WITH WRENCHING? I AM REALLY IMPRESED WITH THE MBX6 AND I HATE TA SAY THAT. I WANT TA TRY A BUGGY AS I ONLY DRIVE TRUGGYS AS OF NOW. BACK IN THE MID 90,S I RAN 10TH SCALE ELECTRIC BUGGY. THE OLD TRX1 AT A INDOOR TRACK IN DALLAS. IT WAS A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT STYLE AND NOT MUCH IN COMMON WITH THE NEW SCHOOL 1/8TH SCALE NITRO. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TRUGGY AND BUGGY? IS A BUGGY IN GENERAL BETTER? NOT SURE IF IM MAKING SENSE, WHAT I REALLY AM ASKING IS THE CHANGE MORE CHALLENGING? IS THERE MORE TECHNICAL ISSUES? ARE THEY FASTER IF YOU HAVE IT TWEEKED RIGHT? GIVEN YOU CAN DRIVE? AND LAST ARE THEY AS TOUGH? 6 TA 7 BILLS IS A NICE DROP OF CASH. I WANT SOMETHING I WONT REGRET.

I KNOW THESE ARE DIFFICULT QUESTIONS JUST GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS. THE PROS AND CONS. I WOULD APPRECIATE INFO FROM THOSE IN THE KNOW.

PEACE!
bpoates25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY H9 GET A MIX WITH THE 9 IN SLOW MOTION. WOULD LOVE TA SEE THE MECHANICS AT WORK. HOW IS THE TILT WITH THE MILL WORKING OUT? TIME IS THE ULTIMATE TEST.

YOU COULD HELP ME FIGURE THIS DELIMA OUT. MUGEN IS NIIICE BUT I AM AT HEART A OFNA JAMMIN FAN. ALTHOUGH THE MBX6T IS BETTER THEN THE X2 IN MY OPINION. IM INTERESTED IN THE 9. AND A BUGGY POSSIBLY INSTEAD OF ANOTHER TRUGGY . TIRES ARE CHEAPER LOL!

THANK BROTHER.
H9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to, but my XP computer with the editing software on it is dead (for now).

Yes, Mugen is nice but like yourself I'm a Hobao (Ofna) fan. The 9 had some teething problems (what new buggy doesn't), but no show-stoppers and all has been resolved. I love driving it, and it seems to have the usual Hobao robustness now.
Our club day on Sunday was one of those days where you didn't want it to end! I wasn't planning on racing (I'm the timekeeper), and only chucked the buggy, starter box, radio, fuel and wheel wrench in the car at the last minute. So glad I did, although in hindsight a tuning screwdriver would have helped!

I've only driven the truggy twice this year - much as I love the ST, the 9 is just great to drive. I personally believe buggys are more challenging, and the racing is closer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: