FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
ULTRA Capable!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a rc-10 buggy for parts. The owner made a chassis outlined from the aluminum gold tub chassis. But it wasn't done very well. Lucky for me its enough to make my pieces out of. You can buy true carbon fiber plates. A 6" X 12" plate runs around $50-60 dollars. (for i think a 3mm-4mm plate) Look into a company called Xtreme racing. They make carbon fiber parts for the new LX-one that LOOK like the will fit the Ultra LX and, the MBX comp (not the R2. ) I'm gonna have to buy the shock towers from them to finish my project. They have it in camo, silver or black. I think to buy all the pieces they have is around $115.00 plus shipping. They have carbon brake discs also. Im using the ofna carbon pads.

Last edited by thunderbolt427 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I finished the front diff plate and, the front steering link. The factory front diff plate weighs .25 of an ounce. My custom plate weighs .16 of an ounce. The front steering link weighs .15 of an oz and my new custom link weighs .07 of an ounce. so now the total weight loss is now .95 of an ounce or 23.78 grams.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderbolt427 wrote:
Ok. I finished the front diff plate and, the front steering link. The factory front diff plate weighs .25 of an ounce. My custom plate weighs .16 of an ounce. The front steering link weighs .15 of an oz and my new custom link weighs .07 of an ounce. so now the total weight loss is now .95 of an ounce or 23.78 grams.

Can you get aluminums hardware? I have a bag of hardware(just bolts,nuts and washers) from a Ofna LX and that bag weight easy a few oz. An other place that you can look up to save some weight.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just stay tuned to see what happens. You can use aluminum screws in certain areas but ,in other areas you want the stronger steel screws. Just keep watching the build up and, ill let you know what i find through research and post it for all to see. I'm in no hurry to rush the project. Ive searched this site and have not seen a more extensive attempt at making the LX or MBX a race worthy machine from a heavy basher. I have around 35 hours in it now and, i'm not even half way finished yet. Just keep checking the thread for more to come. Im lucky enough to have access to alot of machining equiptment. Some portions may be difficult for some to duplicate but ,what you can follow and, accomplish is only going to better your OFNA. Good luck to you and, all who follow my project. I'm available for questions about the build at all times up to where i'm at at this point. Just feel free to ask and i will help you with what i can.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I just finished cutting out the center diff brace. I cut it out from the original plate not the MBX R2 plate that weighed 0.3g less weight. The stock plate weighed .21oz(6.0g) and, the new graphite plate weighs in at .14oz (3.8g). Here's an interesting weight comparison. All the aluminum pieces minus the rear brace weighs 1.15oz. My total weight loss to date is now 1.16oz. So imagine you could take all that aluminum off as weight savings. Its adding up quickly. And, i still haven't done the servo tray yet . Ill keep posting ; stay tuned for more.

Here's how you can feel the weight loss with out pulling your buggy apart. 5- quarters and 1- nickle weighs 1.15oz.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ive just got my hands on a LX ONE buggy from the local track saturday and, plan to start going through it to see what it needs and fix it up. then do a build up of it also at a later time. It should end up being even lighter than the MBX COMP im building now(due to lighter front and rear suspension system).but, thats later. Now Im starting to do a rough cut out of the servo tray and get it finished. Will post weights soon.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished up the graphite servo tray and here's the numbers. The stock aluminum tray weighed in at 15.1 grams or 0.53 of an oz. The new graphite piece weighs in at 12.1 grams or 0.42 of an oz. so a weight savings of 3.0 grams or 0.11 of an oz. SO now we have a grand total of 1.26oz or 35.80 grams of total weight loss. May be a little while before i get the carbon fiber shock towers but, i will let you know what they weigh when i get them and, compare them to the stock aluminum ones. Still have more to come with weight loss so stay tuned. Thanks for watching.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery box is completed now. Again the bottom tabs were ground down flush and, the servo tray mounting points were ground down to meet the servo tray due to my lowering the tray. I just finished cutting 12mm from the boxes overall height and, all looks good . The factory box weighs in at 1.81 oz(51.3g) and the now finished box weighs in at 1.54oz(43.6g) for a difference of .27 of an ounce or 7.7grams Now the total weight loss is at 1.53oz (43.50g). The weights on the boxes were including the lids but no switch or screws at all.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little note on what else had to be done. At 12mm down on the box you no longer have screw holes that mount the top of the box. you will need to drill the holes further down to be able to mount the top again. The top of the lid ended up being the same height as the the top of the throttle/brake servo arm. Also you no longer have the rib that helps seat the lid on the box. so don't over tighten the screws or it will distort the lower portion of the box. I use a spectrum receiver and, i stand it on its sidelong ways mounted to the side of the box closest to the throttle servo with double sided tape(it wont fit any other way) except to lay it on top of the battery which i dont want to do because of the heat). I lay my 5-cell battery pack also on its side(which also helps lower the center of gravity). Looking at it again i could have gone down a little farther with the cut being that the lid has some more height built into it but, it looks pretty good and im happy with it for now. I also use a thick foam material under the lid to keep the battery from bouncing around inside the box and, a small piece between the battery and ,receiver for a little more protection. I,m gonna start taking pictures and show the progress made so far. I'm still not sure how many posts you need before you can post pics but, ill give it a try and, see what happens. I should start taking and, posting pics tomorrow.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well just figured out i cant upload my pics saved to my computer. Any one know of any free sites i can join to get a link to show pics from?
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've tried asking on here and ,another thread but cant seem to get an answer. . Anyway heres an update. Took apart the both the front and rear suspension. Cleaned everything up. all hinge pins have been polished as said before. I took my Jammin shocks apart and cleaned them out. Replaced all the seals in them and,polished the shafts.Then refilled them with fresh oil. Also removed the blue anodizing from the rear chassis brace and, polished it up.Did the same to the front upper arm hinge pin plate. As mentioned before the front and ,rear shock towers will be replaced with carbon fiber ones as soon as i can get them. PM me to request my e-mail and ill send pics that way for now. Best i can do for those interested.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This are 3 free websites that you can used for your photos
1. http://www.flickr.com/
2. http://register.photobucket.com/
3. http://picasa.google.com/mac_tools.html
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I just opened a flicker account.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderbolt427 wrote:
Thanks man. I just opened a flicker account.

no problem dude, I just saw the pics., nice job cant wait to see a vid how perform in the track.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished taking apart the front diff and, getting all the grease out of it. I filled the diff 3/4 of the way full with some OFNA 7000wt. Diff fluid and ,re-assembled everything then put it all back together in the case. My front end is now complete and, ready to install on the chassis. will post pics later on tonight of the front end assembled and, on the chassis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: