FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
pictures of my ultra lx truggy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra nitro wrote:
LETS MAKE A DEAL. i would like your opinion on keeping the center diff. i'm currently running 50k in the center diff and i am still getting some wheel spin when accelerating off road. i want to get the most traction i can without popping wheelies all the time. i was going to install 100k in the center diff to see if it will remedy the tire spin issues yet still be able to bleed off some power if the front becomes airborne. also i will be able to retain some of my brake bias. what i was thinking of running is your 65 tooth spur gear,my center diff, 100k, your diff top plate , diff riser hardware, and a 13 vented ofna bell. i don't know how the 100k will perform at this task. do you have any experience with this setup? can you suggest a package deal it get some more performance out of my truggy?

IMO, the #1 reason why a center diff is utilized on all race buggies and most truggies is to bleed off excess power, thus brake bias is there due to necessity.
A center diff makes it much easier to "maintain control" when folks hammer down and just hang on. Brings me back to what I said earlier, "Diffs are for riders, Spools are for drivers."
On a race buggy, the brake bias helps to prevent the rear brakes from locking up when say diving into a corner under hard braking, weight suddenly transfers to the front wheels, rear wheels then loose traction and can potentially lock up, sending the rear end into an uncontrollable skid. Same principle applies to race truggies.
With a spool, you cant lock up just the front or rear wheels when braking, the same wheel speed front to back remains the same, locking one up locks 'em all down... See what I am getting at?

Anyhow... The 100K diff lube will help alot, but nothing short of locking up the diff or installing a spool will eliminate the "bleeding."
The center spool will put maximum power to the ground at all times, its then up to you "the driver" to control it. With some practice and suspension tuning, a "driver" can run just as hard, if not harder than the "riders," and still keep the wheelie action in check..

Have you upgraded both F/R bevel gears (30120) to the upgraded steel bevel gears (31010) yet? If not, plan to do so asap. Unleashing this much POWER, consider them a "MUST HAVE" cause it wont take long to make scrap metal of the stock ring gears..
Its critical to shim the f/r pinions for optimal lash, specially with the stock RG's.... You might also shim (tighten) the steering servo saver to eliminate the "power drifting."

Im not trying to sell you or scare you into anything. Just know that if you go this route, you'll no longer be driving the same RC and there may be some psychological and physical side effects to your person such as overwhelming exuberance and/or uncontrollable euphoria, to the point of being totally intoxicated, may trigger bouts of tourette's syndrome, and typically causes facial disfigurations such as PERMAGRIN.

As for a deal, lets take that to PM's. You got PM..
ultra nitro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sent a message. im new at this message board i hope it went through.
team fugazee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are getting way 2 technical 4 me.i was looking to upgrade my buggy and now im getting scared,is there an easy 1 stop kit? and please lets see some video.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a day nitro, to see what I have....

team fugazee wrote:
you guys are getting way 2 technical 4 me.i was looking to upgrade my buggy and now im getting scared,is there an easy 1 stop kit? and please lets see some video.

Only thing you have to FEAR, is FEAR itself.......
Nothing worth doing is ever easy, and its never free.
I suppose the easiest approach is to go buy the latest greatest Truggy Kit that start around $500.00+++, then spend another $600.00++ putting it together... By the time its RTR, its often out-dated, kinda like computers..
Unfortunitely, the Ultra's receive very little manufacturer, and even less aftermarket support. I suspect thats largely due to it "entry level" ranking, and low cost. Hard for some people to justify spending $200.00 or more upgrading a $300.00 RTR Ultra. A fact that cant be ignored by the aftermarket or factory manufacturers. Regardless of the "name and model" of an RC, it cost the same to produce an aftermarket chassis, shock tower, steering knuckle, a-arm, hub, WTFE, for an Ultra model as it does for the rest of 'em, so they tend to cater to the "Jones" with deeper pockets. Personally, I think they are missing a golden oppurtunity to take advantage of a rather large segment of the RC community who like myself, dont want to be just like the rest of the Jones and dare to be different..
dug simpson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately upgrade to the hardened steel ring gears. i guess its personal preference but i prefer a spool over a center diff. i noticed a major difference when i put my spool in. not only in the handling but the engine responds a little quicker (maybe my imagination).i like the pbs front suspension but i have an lx comp that came with king pin suspension. fm radio and powerful steering servo are also great ways to upgrade a buggy.
pcr used to make some nice looking shock towers for the ultra but i never tried them theyre kind of expensive and i never needed them. if your afraid to take something apart take pictures of it beforehand so you know how it goes back together. sometimes the manual can be confusing or vague
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro, you have a PM...
ultra nitro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motion you have mail!
ultra nitro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUGAZEE just do it.
team fugazee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what? make my buggy a truck?I think i could build something on par with you 2 guys as my dad is an appliance repairman and has lots of tools that i can use,and i have some questions on how to put together those plastic coat hangers to use them as a roll bar like your truck.thanks
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

team fugazee wrote:
do what? make my buggy a truck?I think i could build something on par with you 2 guys as my dad is an appliance repairman and has lots of tools that i can use,and i have some questions on how to put together those plastic coat hangers to use them as a roll bar like your truck.thanks

Go for it bud...

LMAO, plastic coat hanger roll cage.... Might survive a simple roll over, but I doubt it would survive anything more severe.
ultra nitro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY MOTION the kit works great. you got mail!
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra nitro wrote:
HEY MOTION the kit works great. you got mail!

Ohhhh pooh..... Tag, your it.
ultra nitro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump!
team fugazee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,how much does it cost 4 your cages? i was trying to make 1 myself and it looked like dooty,can you give me a price or some guidance?thanks in advance.fugazee.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

team fugazee wrote:
hey guys,how much does it cost 4 your cages? i was trying to make 1 myself and it looked like dooty,can you give me a price or some guidance?thanks in advance.fugazee.

A primered 8 pt full chassis cage just like mine, using 4130 CMT will cost ya about $200.00 after S&H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: