FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Only runs good at 300degrees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Force Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

badlockjaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Only runs good at 300degrees Reply with quote

I got a .32 force in a LST. Everytime i richen it up to bring the temp down, it runs like crap. Use mcoy 59 plug and run blue thunder fuel 20%nitro-8%oil. Any suggestions????
DJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting the 300 degree mark, because i think you temp gun might be off due dirt on the lens and may shoot your temps off the mark, try the spit test. Drop a dab of spit onto the cooling head and see how long it takes to boil off, if takes about ten seconds to boil off then your good and the operating temps are around 220-230, it you drop a dab and it boils off in less than three seconds then your too hot, this is the easiest way to temp to be more accurate I still use this method and do not use a temp gun..
Eggbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, any overheating is caused by too lean a HSN and is often masked by a too rich LSN. You still get smoke until the excess fuel in the crankcase is used up. By that time you are at top speed and the smoke trail can be thinned out and hard to see anyway. Easy way to check.....richen HSN by about 1/4 turn and lean LSN to get acceleration back...then check temps.

Or it could be an air-leak. Most air leaks I've had show up during idle (and off-idle). At higher speeds, the airleak (if minor) tends to not be that significant compared to the air coming through the carb, but at low speeds, it is very significant. Add that to a leak that changes as the engine parts heat up and expand, makes keeping the low end tuned a headache.

When you are sure high temps are not tuning or an airleak, it may be time to try an additional head shim or possibly change nitro % of fuel. Take it easy for a while if you add a headshim (or do anything to make the engine run cooler....fuel, after-market head, etc.). The engine will now rev as before, but with a colder cylinder sleeve and piston, it needs a bit of re-breaking-in.

I've also found that an OS A5 glowplug can reduce temps quite a bit, although I make no claims to how it affects performance other than I can't tell a difference.
adb140275

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have two problems. youre using dynamite fuel, and you are using an MC59 plug. you need some better fuel like byron, and you need an MC9 plug
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Force Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: