FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Pivot ball suspension upgrades?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pacman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Pivot ball suspension upgrades? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

First I'll start off with a couple problems I've had with my 9.5 MBX.

I have recently cracked two pivot ball suspension mounts in the last couple weeks. I just installed my last pair and it cracked again. This I'm assuming was from rolling it down a large hill that I normally run it on.

The front end is setup properly imo but would something setup improperly cause this to happen? It's just unusual that this happened twice on me in weeks.

I also recently snapped my CV joint. It snapped at the other end at the dogbone. That was an expensive replacement.

So I actually have a few questions. I found the GPM Aluminum pivot ball mounts( http://www.gpmparts.com/shop/hyper-pbs-version-alloy-front-knuckle-arm-with-delrin-collars-alloy-collars-shims-1pr-set-gpm-hy7021-p-90010562.html ). Are these any good? Would they fit a 9.5 MBX front end? How does the steel ballends move in the mounts? I would assume they would just wear out the aluminum quickly.

Also I found These Titanium front universal swing shafts http://www.gpmparts.com/shop/hyper-pbs-version-titanium-front-universal-swing-shaft-with-shims-87mm-1pr-set-gpm-thy7287f-p-90010620.html .

Would these fit the 9.5 MBX? The Ofna CVA joints that I have installed are part number 36052 and it only specifies them as being 8mm.
Pacman

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has these parts at all or know if they would fit?

I'll try and contact the company that makes them I guess.
CrashOverKill

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume sense they are listed for the hyper7 that it is doubtfull they will fit
Buggin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep snapping the PBS knuckle, you for sure are installing or adjusting them incorrectly. Unless of course you slam the buggy constantly into a wall going full tilt boogey but then again you would have much more damage than just a cracked knuckle. I have done some very scarey cartwheels that would make a Olympic gymnist close their eyes with my poor old MBX and it has always drove away with no problems. So that is why I am saying you must have something out of adjustment or too tight.
I do not think the Hyper 7 stuff will fit your 9.5 MBX but I do not know considering OFNA(Jammin,Hong Nor,Hobao) hates it when you use your imagination and upgrade your bug. OFNA does not provide a cross reference chart of parts or even provide part specs...........
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not familiar with the 9.5 MBX PBS set up BUT Ive had a simular experience with the Ultra MBX, cracked PBS hubs and bent CVD's.
Traced the problem to the lack of L/R steering bump stops.
Basically the PBS hub and the pillow ball shafts act as the bump stop and when the steering is cranked or wrenched excessively left and/or right (ex- cartwheeling 'cross the yard), the Pillow ball shaft(s) would excert excessive force on the PBS hubs and cause the PBS hub to crack and bend CVDs..
My solution was to epoxy a small piece of plastic from a busted a-arm to the side of the diff case so the steering drag link/inner tie rods would make contact and prevent the steering from being cranked or wrenched excessively during a momentary loss of control aka crash.

As for the CVD breaking near the loose (dog bone) end, might check that your not installing the Pillow balls to deep into the a-arms which will push the dog bone end of the CVD shaft deeper into the drive cup(s). This may cause the CVDs to bind up in the drive cup(s) when the suspension travel is maxed out (up and/or down). It typically starts out with the drive cup cutting a small groove around the dogbone which weakens the shaft, then one sharp hit will typically snap it off. Also, make sure the drive cup(s) aren't damaged and/or worn too.
Pacman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I must have something installed too tight as since I created this thread I have cracked three pivot ball mounts and at least three axles. The pins from the universal joint are either falling out which throws the whole unit out of the buggy or the pins snapping.

I may have tightened the pivot balls into the mounts too tight.

I'm looking at getting a Hyper 8 with a lot of upgrades (rolling chassis). Would this buggy be any stronger than the MBX with the pivot ball suspension? I don't race at all, just bash the crap outta it so I want something as durable as possible. I dont want a Monster truck or Truggy as they are just not as aggressive as a buggy is.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacman wrote:
I dont want a Monster truck or Truggy as they are just not as aggressive as a buggy is.

IMO, a truggy makes the ultimate basher. As far as a truggy not being as aggressive as a buggy, you'd have to show me... I go places and do things with my truggies that buggies could only dream of..
Pacman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotionMachine999 wrote:
Pacman wrote:
I dont want a Monster truck or Truggy as they are just not as aggressive as a buggy is.

IMO, a truggy makes the ultimate basher. As far as a truggy not being as aggressive as a buggy, you'd have to show me... I go places and do things with my truggies that buggies could only dream of..

I know what you mean about a truggy being able to go places a buggy cannot. Real large bumps like a dirtbike trail for example. A buggy won’t drive through like a truggy could.

What I mean is how a buggy acts compared to a truggy. A buggy is like a tasmanian devil on crack and a truggy is like a bear on the run. Buggies imo turn harder, faster and sharper. Truggies are more sloppy when it comes to sharp turns and overall performance. Maybe it's because I run a .28 Axial motor in the buggy but my buddies Losi 8T doesn't compare to how my buggy drives. A truggy does handle better in real rough terrain and it jumps smoother than a buggy. Jumping is fine with the buggy though and I don't normally ride on really rough terrain.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacman wrote:
MotionMachine999 wrote:
Pacman wrote:

I know what you mean about a truggy being able to go places a buggy cannot. Real large bumps like a dirtbike trail for example. A buggy won’t drive through like a truggy could.

What I mean is how a buggy acts compared to a truggy. A buggy is like a tasmanian devil on crack and a truggy is like a bear on the run. Buggies imo turn harder, faster and sharper. Truggies are more sloppy when it comes to sharp turns and overall performance. Maybe it's because I run a .28 Axial motor in the buggy but my buddies Losi 8T doesn't compare to how my buggy drives. A truggy does handle better in real rough terrain and it jumps smoother than a buggy. Jumping is fine with the buggy though and I don't normally ride on really rough terrain.

IDK 'bout all that. A properly equipped truggy will give and equally equipped buggy a run for its money in all departments. The truggies are just as fast around the race track as the buggies in most cases...
Pacman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/\

Ya know, I agree now....to a point.

I spent a while last night watching videos of buggies vs truggies. There is little difference. I can only really compare what I have in front of me and I dont own a truggy so I compare my buggy to my friends Losi 8T. It just seems to be waaaaay more fun to drive the buggy compared to the truggy. A truggy may run as quick as a buggy but they seem like a high performance Cadilac compared to a high performance Lotus Elise.

I think it all comes down to personal preference and driver skill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: