FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
HYPER SPRINT CAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Dirt Oval
View previous topic :: View next topic  

kendall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the part #'s for the CNC parts, and so far i've only ran the stock tires on the sprint car.
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do y'all get traction with them onions? do they let you cut grooves in them? Go to ,Ofna racing .com and go to parts- up grades click on hyper 8 buggy.There are quite a few there. cnc knuckles #19304,cnc front lower arm holder#28201.cnc lower rear arm holder #28202. Maybe search ebay for hyper 8. Down here in central FL there are maybe 10 or so guys racing 1/8 sprint cars. The lil Dover track has 300' or so run line. What engine are y'all limited to?
kendall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no engine limit my sprint has an O.S. 21vg and my latemoel has a sportwerk .26, and they dont let us cut grooves in the tires, what would be a good rubber tire to run on the 1/8th Sprint?
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sportworks/SH is a strong engine. I never ran a vg .21. I would run the tires that the latemodels run and use softer foam or less foam in the left side tires and/or some good rubber tire traction compound on the left side. Not having traction on the right side should make it drift better.I took almost all of the right steering out and limited the left to maybe 50-60 %. That made it more controllable for me w/173oz -.15 speed servo for steering. I saw a youtube video of a chili bowl race and the track looked good, it looked like there was some bite in the groove Is your track in Tulsa?
kendall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the track is in tulsa, but they build a new track every year just for that race, they say it will not be the same dirt as last year their trying to make it a little looser.
kendall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 200ft. runline loose dirt practice track with no banking in my back yard, the chilli bowl jr. track is supposed to be 190ft. runline loose dirt with progressive banking i'll be running my latemodel there, they dont have enough cars to feild a 1/8th sprint class but I'm gonna try to hotlap mine during practice to see if I can generate some intrest in them.
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are running on hard packed clay w/sprints. The track is almost like asphalt. We sweep and blow the sand off 3-4 times during race day. We run rc for less foam tires and sh or lrp .28s in the sprints. I have been running a lrp .30 in a 1/8 latemodel, very fast and dependable. I will try one of those .30s in my sprint pretty soon, we have an open motor rule too. When the track is dry and the sand is gone I get almost no tire spin. I put 120,000 in the front diff 120,000 in the center or spool for the ofna latemodel and 20,000 in the rear diff
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the hyper 8 sprint I use a 18 c-bell and the latemodel takes a 20-21. We had a loose dirt track a few months ago because of the weather and no one was interested in running on it. It seemed we were wasting our horsepower on tire spin and drifting out of control. We are back to hard packed clay dry and clean w/ weather permitting of coarse. I tried 55,000 in the front 55,000 in the center and 5,000 in the rear and that set up seemed to push going in the turn and on the straits it was slower, unloading all the power on one one spinning wheel I believe. I have not run in loose dirt w/ losi dlm rubber tires. So I would be guessing at best as to what set up would be best. I heard that some guys were running the factory ofna sprint front tires all the way around on latemodels in loose dirt. Has any one tried that there?
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the diffs were somewhat locked they might not balloon out so much. When I ran the sprint for the first time, under power the front tires grew to be the same size as the rear! And did not understand how that was supposed to work. So we put foam tires on them instantly. Are the stock ofna dirt oval pro tires about the same as the losi tires. If so I will give them a try on a friends back yard loose dirt track to learn more of what your dealing with.
kendall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dlm2 tires are very close to the same size as the stock ofna tires that come with the gtpII dirt oval chassis, the ofna tires are what we usually have to run but their changing to the dlm2 tires for the chilli bowl jr. I think the only reason their changing it is because losi is sponsering the race. I run locking putty in the front diff. on my latemodel center spool and 5000 in rear diff. seems to work pretty good for me.
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine picked up one of those losi rollersand put a sh .28 on it and a set of those tires and it skated all over the track. But it was early in the morning and the track had not been prepped yet, so there was a little sand on top of hard packed dry clay. There were cars on there w/ foam tires too. The foams did a little better than the dlm2s. A friend and I took a few L8scales up to a smaller indoor track and the clay looked shiny for some reason. So we ran a couple of heats and the foams did not have much grip and the tires would spin all the way down the straits. One guy had an ofna Latemodel with the stock GTP2 tires and did very well. He had traction on the straits and the back end would come around in the corners setting him up for the straits. Ours would go into the turn like they were going to drift right out, but as soon as you got on the gas the back end would bite and it pushed up to the wall. Possibly too much motor or lack of throttle control or both. we still had fun It was just a one day thing for us, our track rained out that day.
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'de set that sprint up the same way. Be careful with those diffs they have alum. spider gears, the front and rear work fine but I have seen two center diffs go out. A spool would cure this but I have not located one yet. Try a lexan body/wing kit w/ some cool colors. I painted the tail tank w/automotive urethane primer and paint. Just slightly dust the tank with the primer and apply just enough paint to make it shine,not to thick is the trick. I'de try more horsepowe, toe out the front toe in the rear. That should get their attention. Our sprints are running as fast as our latemodels, but being open wheel cars it is a little cleaner racing, less careless driving. I know that racing my sprint has made me a better driver in 1/8 scale racing altogether This new class of 1/8 sprints took right off around here. Ronnie Setser at SS HOBBIES got one of the first shipments of the hyper 8 sprints. He took a rtr put it on the track and it looked good. We were hooked
kendall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a jammin .28 I'd like to put on the sprint but I've never been able to get it to run right the only way I can get power out of it is to run it over 300 deg. and then its so lean I can't put the power down. I thought it might be an air leak but I can't find one I just kinda gave up and put it back in the box and on the shelf.
Ben Giles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KENDALL

Your bottom end is to rich and your top end is too lean when they are set like that they will run hot. Slow your bottom end down and adjust speed untill it won't run any slower To check this take a pair of needel noses and shut off the fueline if it stops right now your in the right place if it keeps running for awile your still to rich.Then adjust the top end and adjust with a temp gun run a few laps and adjust till its right.

Ben Giles
Qusac10@aol.com
blue byou racing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled the factory settings for that motor but did not find anything. Ben has the right idea. I would check the head bolts.I've seen some loose ones lately. On new engines too. That jammin makes 3.5 hp and 36,000 rpm. That will make that sprint fun to drive. do a lot of guys run those 21 vgs? What is the engine of choice for the L8models at the tracks y'all run at?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Dirt Oval All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: