FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
High Speed Curbing Action!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

mrd129

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: High Speed Curbing Action!!! Reply with quote

Ultra MBX Pro....High speed turn through a parking lot, first attempt: made it through, SCREAMING. Second attempt: .....hammering through the corner, let off the gas to turn better, then get back on to get grip......my depth perception was shot (as to being under the influence, slightly...LOL)I was like 100 feet away and I didn't see that i didn't have the right angle to make it ......about 75% of the way to full bore. I MASH this yellow fire lane curb in front of a Chinese buffet.....little Asian faces are immediately pressed onto the glass from the inside, which can only be due to the horrific crash the thing made when it hit the curb.
Broke the right tie rod, bent the left. My front drive shaft is about bent in half.....and I'm not sure if i ran real low on fuel, or if it leaked out after the collision. In any event, my tank was empty....
I'll check later today up close to see what happened......but this is what i saw in the lights of the parking lot, quasi upset. what a ride!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on where the first places i should check that may not be so visible at first glance. As to find more devistation?
breathing nitro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the club we have all been their before you are not the first and certaintly not the last.
1. the chassis
2. the front hinge pins( upper and lower)
3.shock shafts
4.suspension arms(upper and lower)for any cracks
5.shock tower
6.front center drive shaft
7.both front hinge pin retainers(front and rear/front)
7.pressure test the tank under water look for any bubbles but they are pretty tough though
mrd129

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i didn't think of a couple of those things....I checked out the chassis, and it seemed to be OK. I know that my radio would no longer control the servos, that may be a xtal, receiver, or battery issue. Is it possible that the servos got shot? I wouldn't think that would be very likely...but who knows. If i have to pick up new servos, i think i'm going to cry....those were kinda pricey.....lol
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very possible that the steering servo stripped out... It doesn't take much to strip an RTR servo, unfortunately.

Replacing/upgrading busted up RTR parts is part of the fun (I started out with an LX Ultra Comp, then 9.5 - spent tons 'o money on them before I bought a pro kit)!

rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post made me laugh. Not laughing at your expense, but your writing seems to convey a good sense of humor regarding this situation. All RC enthusiasts have 'been there' and 'done something similar to this'.

I remember my crash and burn experiences fondly!

mrd129

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe they're not as pricey as I remember....The steering servo is a Futaba S3305. I looked at it on TowerHobbies and it's like 35 bucks.... so that wouldn't be bad.....Although, that was the first thing i was concerned with (the servo stripping out) so i moved the wheels left and right with my hand to force the servo to move, and it still made that mechanical noise, that wonderful servo sound. Would it still make that noise, or is that not the sound of the gears meshing inside the servo?
mrd129

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabidsquirrel wrote:
Your post made me laugh. Not laughing at your expense, but your writing seems to convey a good sense of humor regarding this situation. All RC enthusiasts have 'been there' and 'done something similar to this'.

I remember my crash and burn experiences fondly!

Yeah, it sucks, but what can you do....if it worked all the time, you wouldnt want to drive it...LOL....the breaking it and saying "I can't wait till i get that thing together again!" thats most of the fun. I can also talk more smack about how much mine is faster than everyone else's I know.
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Hyperion Servos... They seem to be an 'up and coming' brand. Their specs are incredible for the price point ($40), and Felipe has one for a back-up - it seemed pretty strong and fast, just don't know what the durability is going to be like. If the specs are any indication, it is indeed one of the best servos out in the market today, not to mention half the price of top-end servos that may actually be slightly inferior based upon the published specs...

Not an endorsement, just something to look into. I may buy one for a 'spare' and run it to see how good it is and how long it'll hold up... $40 is cheap for the performance!
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that if you buy high end electronics (Radio and Servo) in the process of repairing/upgrading your ride, they'll likely outlast your current ride. This means you can transplant them into your future 'Pro Kit' ride...
mrd129

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabidsquirrel wrote:
Also keep in mind that if you buy high end electronics (Radio and Servo) in the process of repairing/upgrading your ride, they'll likely outlast your current ride. This means you can transplant them into your future 'Pro Kit' ride...

Who says I'm gutting it? I sleep with this thing!?!
mrd129

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further review, I found that there is something else out of whack....My clutch bell is ever so slightly touching the gear in my transmission. It's the part of the clutch bell that covers the clutch shoes....not the actual gear on the CB. It is rubbing the back side (rear-facing) of the transmission gear. So i'm not sure if the engine is twisted forward, which i doubt....theres still no play in the shaft, and the screws haven't been shifted or moved. I'm assuming that the transmission is twisted, and pushed back, because of the hit that the front dog bone took. Since it's bent in a U shape and all....heheee.....I'll have to get some pics to show you guys the way that thing is bent.

In other news, my servos are firing 100%, and my receiver is still getting signal.....
I'm buying stock in Ofna...this thing is bulletproof.

That is all
mrd129

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

took some pics of the MBX so you guys can see the damage. The more i look at the transmission touching the CB, the more sick i get..... I'm assuming my trans mount is bad, and possible the trans is twisted?? What do you think?

mrd129

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be able to twist the trans ever so gently to get it to be back in the right place....overall there's no binding....but i'd rather be safe than sorry, as it is DEFFINATELY closer than normal to the CB.
breathing nitro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not the diff holder look at the first pic the center gear looks like it is still lined up with the chassis slot squarely its your motor look at the second pic you can see that the engine is sitting on an angle. square that back up and the clutch bell will not rub
mrd129

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Fuel tank was toast. The whole bottom was cracked out.....
new one should be coming via TowerHobbies within 48 hrs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: