FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Ultra MBX RTR with powerstart Pro's and Con's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

downtime27

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Ultra MBX RTR with powerstart Pro's and Con's. Reply with quote

Hey guys whatsup? I'm new to these forums but not to r/c

I have had plenty of r/c's in the past, so I have my fair share of experience.

I am looking to get myself a new buggy for x-mas, and since my budget is limited to the easy-pay items at tower because right now thats gonna be the only way I can afford to buy a new one. So I have pretty much got my mind set on the mbx.
The only things that turn me off about the buggy is the colored tires witch I can easly replace, but there is the powerstart it comes with. It looks a little too much like the first ez start that came on the original tmaxx, that I had serious problems with. Are there any known problems with the starting system on this buggy...? does it burn through one way bearings? And I will be using a glow ignitor so i'm pretty sure i wont have to worry about the plug getting hot enough. But what are some of the problems you guys have had with this buggy, and most of all, the fun, durability, reliability, tunability, and all the abilities there are to mention.

Thats all I can think of right now, but I will post more if I think of anything else.

Thanks in advance guys.
Buggin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my MBX but in hind sight I think I should have gone the Hyper route. The Hyper 7 is available in several configurations and just as strong as the MBX but more race worthy right out of the box Plus not only that since the Hyper9 came out the 8.5 has come down to the $399 range which is also a good price, check out the Hypers, I think you will be happier in the long run. Welcome to the forum
downtime27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I dont wanna say i'm stuck with getting the mbx, it's just my options are very limited. Belive me, I would much rather have the hyper, but I just cant afford it at the moment.
Have you had any problems with the one way bearing stripping out..? or clutch problems? And what about the diff's? are they prone to blow out?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to gather up as much info befor i buy it.

And the reason my options are "limited", Is I have to stick with "easy-pay" items on tower. haha.
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello downtime27,

I have an Ultra MBX Comp ..... had it for close to 4 years. Great car, almost bullet proof.

Now, the "bad" news:

The electric start really doesn't have the "horsepower" to start the larger .26 engine. It does work, but is not a great starting system. I converted mine to a "roto-start" system. Works exceptionally well and probably reduces total weight.

The Ultra MBX Comp is not a race competitive buggy ..... not in today's competition however, it is a good buggy and can handle a track very well.
Buggin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

triplebvalp wrote:
Hello downtime27,

I have an Ultra MBX Comp ..... had it for close to 4 years. Great car, almost bullet proof.

Now, the "bad" news:

The electric start really doesn't have the "horsepower" to start the larger .26 engine. It does work, but is not a great starting system. I converted mine to a "roto-start" system. Works exceptionally well and probably reduces total weight.

The Ultra MBX Comp is not a race competitive buggy ..... not in today's competition however, it is a good buggy and can handle a track very well.

I would agree at the Pro level, but at the club level I think is a very good buggy. Most of these "Pro" level buggies out today will never be driven to their capabilities by their owners because they never spend enough time with them. People seem to buy the newest buggy out there because it is sooooo much better than last years when they haven't even figured out the set up yet or figured out how to keep it on all 4's just once around the track. People always ask what the Pro's set up is, what about a set up that works for you?!?!?! Most of the time people forget that their own driving skills wont allow them to set their buggy up like a pro because they can't drive like a Pro. Just my 2 cents..........take it or leave it
kevinc6639

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm, where to start? Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the forum. I have had my Ultra for almost a year. The EZ start casing melts. The buggy is great, I love it! You will have to go to either roto start or buy a bigger flywheel, lower motor mounts, and convert to starter box. I converted to starter box since I had one for my Warhead already. It cost me $50 for everything to do it. I have the part numbers here somewhere for all the stuff, I will try to post them later. I have had no problems with the diffs or shocks, and tuning is very easy. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: