FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
need help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

wiley1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: need help!!! Reply with quote

i just got the ofna mbx ultra rtr and cant get it started. going by the book i adjusted the hsn 3 full turns out and nothing. ive checked the glow plug and it is working and there is fuel going ot the motor becasue i can flood it. but for some reason i cant get it to start. any help would be great at this point.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: need help!!! Reply with quote

wiley1 wrote:
i just got the ofna mbx ultra rtr and cant get it started. going by the book i adjusted the hsn 3 full turns out and nothing. ive checked the glow plug and it is working and there is fuel going ot the motor becasue i can flood it. but for some reason i cant get it to start. any help would be great at this point.

Welcome to the forum.
By the book, you shouldn't be turning any screws. The engine is preset at the factory for break in...
What fuel are you using, brand and nitro content?

Although not limited to, here are some likely possibilities.
1. glow plug is damaged if not blown. Id suggest trying a McCoy #8.
2. glow plug ignitor battery is dead
3. Tune is severely outta wack
wiley1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fuel is traxxas 20% nitro also the glow plug will heat up checked that. and the batteries have been charged more than once. its hard to get parts right now currently serving in iraq. so any new adjustments or ideas would be helpful.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glow plug may be heating up, doesn't necessarily mean its not damaged or defective which is highly probable during break in.
That cool aid may be a contributing factor, Traxxass fuel sucks..
If its getting fuel and air, chances are its not getting enough spark.
Troubleshooting nitro engines over the net with any cetainty is practically impossible, most often its just speculation...
There are alot of RC people currently stationed in Iraq, I'd suggest you search them out for more informed help..
Good Luck
wiley1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: need help Reply with quote

also it has the elctric start on it and im wondering if that is part of my problem it came with a glow stick but the manual doesnt say how long to hold it on there for.
kevinc6639

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Triple check everything....and ditch the powerstart!!! Reply with quote

Hey, i just got back from Iraq and I had the same problem with mine. If it is cold as hell over there triple check all needles to make sure they are at factory settings(there should be one needle you do not touch, thats the mid range needle). If it still won't start, check to see if the engine is flooding. If it is start leaning the main needle in 1/12th increments until the car starts. If it's not flooding richen the main needle 1/12th turn. I also suggest throwing out the Powerstart system and modding the car for starter box. My power start only worked for five runs, then it melted. There is a post on this webforum that tells you what parts to order (it is about $50 from www.nitrohouse.com) and what to modify. Good luck, and stay safe out there.
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: need help Reply with quote

wiley1 wrote:
also it has the elctric start on it and im wondering if that is part of my problem it came with a glow stick but [b]the manual doesnt say how long to hold it on there for.]/b]

Im not familiar with Ofna's latest on board electric start, not sure if the glow plug ignitor is "built in" to the system or not. If the glow plug ignitor is "incorporated" into the onboard starting system (7.2v), it very well could be contributing to the problem, specially if the 7.2v battery is not 100% fully charged.
Traxxass EZ start has that problem as the battery looses it peak (max) charge.
Unless your using a 12v starter box with aux power panel (10253), I suggest deleting the incorporated glow plug set up and use a stand alone glow plug ignitor to ensure the glow plug is receiving sufficient power as to acheive max glow.

To answer your question. Install the glow plug ignitor onto the glow plug just before your going to start it. Leave the glow plug ignitor on the glow plug until after the engine starts. In some instances, you may even need to leave the glow plug ignitor on the glow plug for a bit after the engine starts and warms up slightly..
wiley1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: need help Reply with quote

ok well i finally got an em ail back from ofna so im ognna try that. also im not really sure how a starter box works and at this point am trying to keep cost to a minimum. what about a pull start? not to sure about a starter box or any of that my last car was electric so some of this is new to me. how exactly does the starter box work? well thanks for the help
Jonathan B.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh well it's a box that starts your car lol

If u can afford it, I would highly suggest getting a starter box. Pull starts suck. You can and probably eventually will rip the pulling cord right out, then your gunna have to pull the motor out and either fix the cord if it is fixable, or buy a new pull start system. Starter boxes; all ya have ta do is set the box up for the car by putting pegs (pegs are included with box) on the box to where the box fits/lines up the chassis and both flywheels

You'll never know unless you see and try for yourself :)
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan B. wrote:
Pull starts suck.

I disagree, but I know how to prep and use a PS properly.
You cant just start jerkin on a PS nitro engine like a weed eater.
The starter rope is much shorter, so you must use short rapid controlled jerks.
You can eliminate alot of unnecessary jerkin and the often associated blisters by first priming the engine, ensuring the glow plug is good, and the engine is at BDC before you start jerkin' on it..
Kinda like ummmm,,,,, oh never mind... It will come to ya..
Jonathan B.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotionMachine999 wrote:
Jonathan B. wrote:
Pull starts suck.

I disagree, but I know how to prep and use a PS properly.
You cant just start jerkin on a PS nitro engine like a weed eater.
The starter rope is much shorter, so you must use short rapid controlled jerks.
You can eliminate alot of unnecessary jerkin and the often associated blisters by first priming the engine, ensuring the glow plug is good, and the engine is at BDC before you start jerkin' on it..
Kinda like ummmm,,,,, oh never mind... It will come to ya..

I know that. I just will never have a PS engine again. IMO they are a PITA & not only that, they lag the engine a lil. A non PS engine is a lil quicker/faster than a PS engine.
wiley1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: need help Reply with quote

ok guys well thanks for all the help it will ocmeon usefull i think im gonna try the roto start and see how i like that this is my first nitro and it is proving to be one hell of a task but i think i might have figured it out well see. but again thanks for all the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: