FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Titan Twin Gear Mesh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Titan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ofna- canadian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Titan Twin Gear Mesh Reply with quote

The gear mesh on the twin defies logic, the centre line of the pinion gear is so far below the C/L of the spur gear that it is impossible to get a good mesh , i have raised my motor and lowered my tranny and its alot better, to get it perfect i need to move them more but cant lower the tranny more without changing the lengths of the stabalizer bars. i bet ofna made alot of money selling replacement gears. is there a easy way to get a good mesh without to much alteration to the truck.
socalbash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right answer is Horsepower and a single speed conversion

ofna- canadian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying keep the HP of you motors low. Which gear do you remove 1st or 2nd, then what size pinion do you use. i thought about boring out the end of the clutch bell to 8mm pushing in a 8 x 3 flanged bearing and attaching it to a bracket bolted to the chassis to try and keep the mesh good even under heavy acceleration, space is a bit limited especially on the motor nearest the throttle servo.
socalbash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP up!

The issues I had, were that the newer 1 piece, 2 speed bells had a weird outer bearing issue or none at all - cant recall which. My bells would wobble off after 1 tank. PITA. After 5 or 6 bells mangled I took it into OFNA - they are right around the corner. Jefrey Lin used to work at Hong Nor as I understand, and he helped me piece together some OFNA ULTRA parts - after we tried a zillion different CB shim combo's with no luck.

I think Im running 2nd gear on a spindle with 14t or 15t Single Speed CB's. With twin picco .27's it would at times lift the front wheels off the ground a little on launches, and the top end was crazy. The truck is near undriveable at WOT ... its plenty fast.

eric ... duh engineering .. 0700 will know whether we're running first or 2nd - hes been wrenching on his show trucks recently - mines been in pieces over a year now.
ofna- canadian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right the one piece clutch bell has 2 inner bearings and no outer bearing which is where most of the load is, which seems strange. I think i will try putting in an end bearing before i change to single speed. thanks for your input.
Two Stroked

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been using a stainless steel washer to hold the clutch bell on, holding on alot better than the soft step washer ofna gives us... it is a crap design, there are more things wrong with the two speed, like the tiny bearing in the spur gear and the weak shaft...
I dont know why you think the center line is off... the gears dont mesh perfect but still works...
ofna- canadian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The centre line of the clutch bell gears is way lower than the centre line of the transmission gears and we are sliding the motor mount on the chassis in a horizontal line towards the transmission to try to get a good mesh, it doesnt work. to get a good mesh you need to move the motor towards the transmission at the same angle as a line drawn between the ccentre lines of the two gears which is virtually impossible. In the perfect mesh as one tooth disengages the next one engages with as slight overlap, too much overlap = binding, too little = backlash. the only way that i can see of gettin a near perfect mesh without having to make a complicated angled motor mount is to get the two centre lines as close as possible to the same. i dont like paying $39 for clutch bells if there is a solution to the problem that is causing them to break.
socalbash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know longer have clutchbell issues with a single speed BELL.

The answer lies in the faulty design of the available 2 speed bells Hong Nor makes. I suspect if you can shim them correctly AND add a support bearing at the outside END, you very well may solve the CB Eating issues of the twin titan.

Keep us posted on your success!

I dont have a mill or lathe at my disposal to keep fab'n bells when they wear out. So I went with the other alternative.

Hong Nor isnt going to change their design either.
Two Stroked

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raising or lowering the engines is not gonna change the mesh...I do belive the gear ratio spread is wrong for th two speed, you can only get one gear or the other to mesh perfectly while the other is either too loose or too tight.. I think I have both my engines at a slight angle to get the mesh closer but still not perfect.. But I can say for sure that this is not the problem with the clutch bells comming off...its not a mesh or angle issue but like already stated it a lack of support that was left out of the clutch bell design.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Titan All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: