FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Eating Center Diff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

mrmas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Eating Center Diff Reply with quote

Hello All,
Newbie to Nitro and I recently acquired an MBX Ultra with a Big Block (3.5 I think). Awesome buggy, awesome grunt power. I have one major problem. It is eating center differentials. I am on number 3 now, and probably no more than a half gallon of gas. Any ideas?
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eating Center Diff Reply with quote

mrmas wrote:
Hello All,
Newbie to Nitro and I recently acquired an MBX Ultra with a Big Block (3.5 I think). Awesome buggy, awesome grunt power. I have one major problem. It is eating center differentials. I am on number 3 now, and probably no more than a half gallon of gas. Any ideas?

Could you be a bit more specific? What exactly is failing, spur gear, internal spider gears, output shafts, drive cups, other??
mrmas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the internal spider gears. All external components are in good shape. The black is not even worn off the spur gear. Is the internal serviceable? I have just been replacing. I ordered a couple more and they appear to be larger than the ones I have been using. Perhaps the models I have been getting are not strong enough? Input to the spur gear is there, but there is no output.
DJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be getting part numbers 30769,30779 those are the gears and shims and since you've gone thru this a couple of times the I would suggest in getting a new case it might be warped 30761.
mrmas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the whole section, new brakes and all, last time. I got two new ones in the other day. If they don't hold up, where might you recomend I shop for parts. Please PM me if the forum doesn't allow you to recomend vendors. I am guessing form the limited responses, I am getting sub par parts and they cant hold up.
DJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrohouse.com
mrmas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up those parts and they look pretty stout. Not sure how my car is breaking them. I suspect I am the recipient of bad parts. I am going to disassemble one and take a look tonight. Since I am new to Ofna, I do not know who is a reputable dealer. Any suggestions, as there are none in my area.
mrmas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a man has to come back to a forum and admit his troubleshooting skills let him down. Grossly let him down. This is one of these times. I changed the center diff last night. Nothing....upon further inspection...one of the dog bone couplers on the rear diff had come loose. Now, how I translated this to the center diff to begin with is beyond me. I swear I was getting nothing to the output shafts off the center diffs...... Anyway a twist of the allen wrench and bam, back in action now. I gave her a rip up and down the street last night...to my neighbors delight

The moral of this story is a tube if loctite is a lot cheaper than a center diff...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: