FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
shimming clutch bell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager
View previous topic :: View next topic  

mdy120

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: shimming clutch bell Reply with quote

When you shim the clutch bell should the screw tighten all the way down tight? I have shimmed behind the flywheel and also in front of the clutch. If I shim out any more the clutch shoes will be exposed. I also have a shim on the outside of the clutch bell with a thrust washer. However, no matter how I shim if I tighten down, the clutch bell will not turn. I have tried different size screws ( I don't know if this matters). Right now, I am running with a screw that threads in quite a ways and I placed it hand tight with with thread lock. The clutch bell turns easily. I also allowed for some play in the clutch bell. back to my question - should you be able to tighten down on the screw that goes into the clutch bell? If so, what could I be doing wrong?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: shimming clutch bell Reply with quote

mdy120 wrote:
When you shim the clutch bell should the screw tighten all the way down tight? I have shimmed behind the flywheel and also in front of the clutch. If I shim out any more the clutch shoes will be exposed. I also have a shim on the outside of the clutch bell with a thrust washer. However, no matter how I shim if I tighten down, the clutch bell will not turn. I have tried different size screws ( I don't know if this matters). Right now, I am running with a screw that threads in quite a ways and I placed it hand tight with with thread lock. The clutch bell turns easily. I also allowed for some play in the clutch bell. back to my question - should you be able to tighten down on the screw that goes into the clutch bell? If so, what could I be doing wrong?

What engine are you running???

Is it a stock bell?

As for the screw, it should only be a 3mm x 10mm screw.

Yes, you should be shimmed so that when the screw is tightened all the way you have about .5mm of play back and forth.

Is there a reason you shimmed behind the flywheel (or do you mean behind the clutch bell)?????
mdy120

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is a Losi 427. I had it shimmed properly at one time but neglected to put thread lock on the screw and it backed out. I am using it while I get my Ofna Force .28 rebuilt - so the clutch shoes, clutch bell are the same as was on the Force .28. I bought an Ofna shim kit so I have that now but still when I tighten down the clutch bell will not turn. Should I take it back down to the flywheel and start over - any suggestion?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdy120 wrote:
The engine is a Losi 427. I had it shimmed properly at one time but neglected to put thread lock on the screw and it backed out. I am using it while I get my Ofna Force .28 rebuilt - so the clutch shoes, clutch bell are the same as was on the Force .28. I bought an Ofna shim kit so I have that now but still when I tighten down the clutch bell will not turn. Should I take it back down to the flywheel and start over - any suggestion?

Well the first answer that comes to mind is if you tighten the screw all the way down and the clutch bell is not turning, then you have too many shims...

Can you post some pics???
mdy120

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me take it apart and start from the clutch shoes and use less shims. I'll get back with you on this thread and let you know it works or if I need more advice. I don't know if I will get to it today. I appreciate your help and I will let you know.
mdy120

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday afternoon -- Paradoxmaker: I took your advice. I reduced the number of shims and used a 3X10 screw and it worked. The screw tightened all the way down with just a little play. Should I use threadlock on ther screw?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdy120 wrote:
Sunday afternoon -- Paradoxmaker: I took your advice. I reduced the number of shims and used a 3X10 screw and it worked. The screw tightened all the way down with just a little play. Should I use threadlock on ther screw?

So what were you doing??? Using all the same shims that came off it from when it had the Force 28??? Different engines will shim differently. You replaced the motor, so now the number of shims required changed..

No harm no foul.

Your not supposed to use thread lock on the screw, but i use a TINY bit on mine to be sure. If you do use it, make very sure you don't get it on the bearings since you can thread lock the bearings to the clutch bell (which can make em hard to remove). Not to mention that you don't want the thread lock leaking inside the bearing...
mdy120

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I used the same #shims as the Force 28 because there was a time lapse in between putting in the Losi engine. My thinking was backwards -- I was thinking less shims would make it bind even more. Anyway- thank you for the help and I'm ready to roll. I'll be extra careful with the thread-lock. Again - thank you for the help. You gave me a lot more driving time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: