FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Help me understand OFNA shocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> 9.5 Buggy Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

FunkedOut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Help me understand OFNA shocks Reply with quote

help me out here guys. i'm new to this forum, so thanks in advance.
i just bought a pair of these:
"OFNA Rear Shock Body 9.5 RTR Pro (2)"
I plan on using them on a monster truck. Problem is, I can't find anymore on ebay for a decent price. I found some similar shocks that look the same to me, but are they?
The shocks I found are rears for the Ravager 4.6, Ultra MBX Comp, Mutilator Pro and Ultra LX Comp.

The Mutilator states part number 40077, while the ones I bought state part number 40053. I couldn't get part numbers for the rest.

Are they functionally the same?
Are they the same length?
Do they have the same travel?
Are they the same color? (i bought the gunmetal color)
Are some better? (leaks, shaft strength, etc)

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems even the different part numbers look identical to me. Can you help a brother out?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference in part number is mainly age.

The 9.5 and Mulitilator are both HOng Nor made RC's (which Ofna imports). Along with the 9.5 and Muti, Hong nor also makes the Violator, Ravager, Ultra Series, DM1, and Jammin series.

There are 3 basic sizes of Hong Nor shocks that their different 1/8th scale Rc's have had.

The basic 11.5mm shocks that you have shown as pt # 400777 and #40053.
The Older Big bores which are 13mm
and
The New big bores that are 16mm.

The 11.5mm ones and the older 13mm big bores share a lot of the of the same parts while the newer 16mm ones are pretty different.

OK as for your shocks, the only difference between those 2 numbers is going to most likely be color. The older ones had the blue adjuster rings, while all the new ones are solid grey. They are the same shock though.

Here are 4 auctions...I'm pretty sure the shocks are 11.5mm so i don't know why they are calling them 12mm but they are the same as the shocks whose part numbers you listed above..

This guy has 4 sets. I think it's funny that even though they are the exact same shock, he has a different price depending what model he took em off of.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-ULTRA-MBX-COMP-Shocks-Rear-Set-COMP-1-2-OB32_W0QQitemZ310062239410QQihZ021QQcategoryZ34061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-RAVAGER-4-6-Shocks-Rear-9-5-VIOLATOR-PRO-OR35_W0QQitemZ140244498430QQihZ004QQcategoryZ34061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-ULTRA-LX-COMP-2-Shocks-Rear-Set-MBX-OU41_W0QQitemZ140215226923QQihZ004QQcategoryZ34061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-RAVAGER-4-6-Shocks-Front-9-5-VIOLATOR-PRO-OR34_W0QQitemZ300234938333QQihZ020QQcategoryZ34061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is also another set (solid greys)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jammin-X1-CR-rear-12mm-shocks-NIP-40555_W0QQitemZ220247886543QQihZ012QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He lists them as rears but the pic shows a package of fronts, so you may have to ask...
FunkedOut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMaker, you are the man! thanks for the quick, informative response. it also helps that the answers you gave me are the ones i wanted to hear! i was looking at those same auctions and thinking the same thing; only i didn't know for sure that they were the same shocks. i will change out the springs anyway so a difference there is no biggie. and as far as color, if they are all gunmetal gray and the only difference is the ring (blue or gray), i'll shoot for the blue (the pair i own is blue) but i can live with the other.

thanks again for your help.

these are the best smiley's i've seen on any forum!
Nitrohouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd choose the 13mm shocks. They are far superior to the 11.5 (which are known as 12mm)...

The original 11.5mm shocks work, but not nearly as well as the 13mm BigBores...

You'll also have a better spring selection for the 13mm shocks...

Another great post from Paradox...This guy is getting very good at providing very accurate info...Thanks Paradox...We apreciate it...
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrohouse wrote:
Another great post from Paradox...This guy is getting very good at providing very accurate info...Thanks Paradox...We apreciate it...

Just trying to do my part...
FunkedOut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 13mm wouldn't fit. these are going in an e-maxx and they have to fit in the hole in the top arms. 12's are pushing it; they (the springs) rub a little.
i got a good enough selection of springs from unlimited engineering. they are a little short for these shock, so i lose almost a half inch of preset right off the bat, but these shock/springs are worlds away from stock or any shock intended for the maxx.

thanks again for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> 9.5 Buggy Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: