FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Upgrading spur gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dylan1991

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Upgrading spur gear Reply with quote

Hey I'm a little lost on this subject. I have a Ultra MBX Comp and I'd like to get a little more speed out of it. I've been looking for a spur gear to replace my 51T gear. I've found allot of OFNA spur gears, but I'm not sure what will fit. Any help on what fits and what doesn't?
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading spur gear Reply with quote

Dylan1991 wrote:
Hey I'm a little lost on this subject. I have a Ultra MBX Comp and I'd like to get a little more speed out of it. I've been looking for a spur gear to replace my 51T gear. I've found allot of OFNA spur gears, but I'm not sure what will fit. Any help on what fits and what doesn't?

For more speed, simplicity, and best results, just add a tooth or two or three to the clutchbell..
FWIW I do not reccommend a 17 or higher CB, it will only lead to premature clutch failure..
Dylan1991

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading spur gear Reply with quote

MotionMachine999 wrote:
Dylan1991 wrote:

For more speed, simplicity, and best results, just add a tooth or two or three to the clutchbell..
FWIW I do not reccommend a 17 or higher CB, it will only lead to premature clutch failure..

Ahh Ok. I've been driving this car for a few years but relatively new to upgrading it, so can you tell me why 17T and higher CB's wear out the clutch faster?
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading spur gear Reply with quote

Wow, there is no short and sweet explaination soooooo.
Basically. Installing a much larger spur gear is much like installing taller tires... Sure you may gain some top end speed, but it usually at the sacrifice of acceleration..
Think of any given gear ratio as lever, a crowbar even.
Higher gear ratio- As the lever's length increase, the easier the work but accomplished at a slower pace.
Lower gear ratio- As the lever length is decreased, the harder the work but accomplished at a faster pace....

But its not just that simple..... you must consider many factors when determining the most effective ratio.
Driving style, terrain, tire size, vehicle weight, engine type/size, etc etc etc... All of it has an affect on the final gear ratio/overall performance.
I'd suggest you do some research and further educate yourself as to how it all works together as a package before you start making upgrades that may or may not produce the results your after....

Here, check out this video and if you have anymore questions, just ask.
May take a day or two or three, but eventually I or someone else will try to answer them for ya...
Understanding RC Gearing

Dylan1991 wrote:
MotionMachine999 wrote:
Dylan1991 wrote:

Ahh Ok. I've been driving this car for a few years but relatively new to upgrading it, so can you tell me why 17T and higher CB's wear out the clutch faster?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra MBX Comp Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: