FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Glow plug choice??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Engine Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

TrickLX1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Glow plug choice?? Reply with quote

I recently installed and broke in a Force .28 motor in my Ultra LX1. I broke the motor in with VP Master Basher 20, %14 oil and an OFNA B4 (hot) glow plug.

My question is, is the B4 glow plug too hot or just right for this percentage of nitro? I tried running a McCoy #8 (medium) plug with my last break in tank and it seemed to like the B4 (hot) plug better, so i finished break in with the B4 (hot) plug. I wanna be sure the (hot) B4 plug is safe to run with this percentage of fuel and not cause problems down the road cause of premature detonation.

Last edited by TrickLX1 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
David S.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B4 should be a good plug with 20% nitro.
The general rule of thumb is the lower the nitro content the hotter the plug
The higher the nitro content the colder the plug.
A hotter plug will usually have a better idle quality and better throttle response.
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David S. wrote:
A hotter plug will usually have a better idle quality and better throttle response.

That's what i thought about the higher % nitro= medium/cold plug, lower % nitro= hotter plug. Seeing as the higher % nitro fuels are easier to burn (medium/cold plug) and the lower % nitro fuels would be harder to burn (hot plug).

The old LX does have a nice idle with the B4 plug in it, it has a bit of a crackle to it, i'm running a J-P2 pipe with it. It wouldn't idle with the McCoy #8 when i pulled the igniter off.

Thanks for the response!
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David S. wrote:

What about the O'donnell ODO99 glow plug?? I ran that plug in my old Force .28 with 20% Sidewinder fuel back when i raced it in 2010 with no problems.
David S.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different manufacturers can vary a bit in temperature. One manufacturer plug can be advertised as hot and be very hot. O'donnell glow plus are good. You can try the 99 if the engine loads up especially at idle when properly tuned try a hotter plug.
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, thanks again for the response!
TrickLX1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David S. wrote:
Different manufacturers can vary a bit in temperature. One manufacturer plug can be advertised as hot and be very hot. O'donnell glow plus are good. You can try the 99 if the engine loads up especially at idle when properly tuned try a hotter plug.

Well, i put the one O'donnell 99 plug i had in today and did one small tune to the LSN and it ran great. The temp stayed around 260 degrees and it had good throttle response and it hit strong off the bottom from a dead stop. At the end of the run, i let it idle out the rest of the fuel till it shut down (about 1/4 of a tank) it never loaded up and died.

I'll be purchasing a couple more ODO99 plugs, i also have 3 B4 plugs and 1 McCoy#8 that i will be hanging onto if it decides to get temperamental with me in different weather conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Engine Lounge All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: