FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Macstar 21 8 port tubo engine problem Please help someone :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ecliipse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Macstar 21 8 port tubo engine problem Please help someone :( Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I sent my car off to be tuned at a local race track. The man that looked at it for me Said that there could be damage to the liner. The engine will not idle and is really spluttery and cannot go over 1/4 to 1/2 throttle without cutting. He said that when warmed up this problem does fade but he also has the same problem. I decided to inspect the engine and also flushed out the components inside. I found that the connecting rod was very loose on the crank. Is this right because it literally just came off with no force. I think they should snap on and off but not sure. The piston a liner were also quite loose, when pushing up and down carefully. There wasn't any resistance at all. the engine is relatively new but the shop owner said it was running very lean. This is because I put a new byrons air filter on, but didn't change the needle settings. However I hadn't run the engine with this new air filter before.

I'm asking if anyone would be able to tell me if any new parts would need replacing or any possible suggestions from what I've said. Also should I use the original air filter when running again? Please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets start with the piston and sleeve. Di you notice any damages to the sleeve or piston? If you don't, they are OK. The piston will travel freely up to the top, in the top is when you will feel resistance from the piston, this means that is good. Even easier, with the glow plug on, turn the flywheel by hand, if you have resistance, means that you have a good engine(as long the cylinder is OK. even so engine should start and run ok. Read below and report back, how was your adventure.

A air filter might make you tune the High Side Needle(HSN) a little.

lets set up the carb. Set up the idle air gap to .5 - .7mm(thickness of a CR card) Once the iar gap is set, DO NOT NEED TO TOUCH AGAIN. Set up the LSN and HSN flush with the housing. With a new plug and air filter, start the engine let it warm up. Lets tuning.

ALWAYS,ALWAYS,ALWAYS make sure that you have a stream of smoke, as long you have a stream of smoke you will be OK. If you have a temp gun, try to keep the engine around 230 - 250ish degrees. Looks for a steady idle adjusting JUST the LSN one hr at a time. Once you have a nice low steady idle, run it for a few laps bring it home. Now adjust the HSN one hr at a time until you found the way you like it, NOW make sure that if you close(lean) the HSN you will notice the IDLE will raise, What you do? rich the LSN until you the the steady, low idle again. Remember that the fuel comes first true the HSN, if lean the HSN you will lean the LSN also that is why you need to rich the LSN if you lean the HSN.

Hint, If you don't set up the carb properly from the beginning, you will searching for a tune all day. Take your time, set up the carb, tune to your liking and have FUN. Hope this help in your journey. GL.
Ecliipse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comment I've been given a little test to do on the piston so I'm going to try that, if all is well inside the engine I'll look at the tuning advice you gave as it was very clear and precise. Thanks agin for your help, greatly appreciated.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know whats up, once you get it running. GL
Ecliipse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, thanks again mate.
Ecliipse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my LHS look at it again and he said the problem was the throttle screw was out too far on the carb. I've tuned the old air filter and when upto temperature is runs well. Thanks guys for all suggestions and help much appreciated. Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: