FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
ofna force .32 and O.S 30VG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Engine Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

andreas_h92

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: ofna force .32 and O.S 30VG Reply with quote

if you had to choose between these 2 engines for a 1/8 scale monster truck or truggy what would you choose and why? Thanks
Eggbert

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks that by the specs, both engines have comparable power and rpm range. I can't offer much info, but here's a little:

I have the OS 30VG in my Savage. It's a very good engine, easy to tune and very torquey. I am running the 3-speed with a CB/spur combo of 19/47 and it still can wheelie. I've never had an air leak. Even teh pinch-bolt has o-rings to prevent air leaks. Rumours are the plating in the VG series of engines will either wear away quickly (because it's not chrome) or flake off (some older OS engines did this, although it appears this may have been due to porting work which exposed the edge of the plating). Mine took almost 2 gallons to break in and is still gaining power after over 5 gallons, so that tells me the longevity should be good.

On Force engines, I had the Force 26.....a terrible engine that finally died due to abroken crank-pin. I did however use that engine as a test mule and it waas abused. On the other hand, broken crank-pins have been a cause of Force engine failure as reported in this, as well as other forums. I also have the Force 28, and it is a great engine. Only have 2 or 3 gallons through it, but it works very, very well. I have it in a buggy.

The price difference is very great, so that may be a determining factor as the OS engine is around $225 and the Force 32 more in the $160 range. Nice thing about a cheap engine is that it doesn't hurt so much when it comes time to replace it.

On maintenance issues, I'm not sure how much a piston and sleeve are for the Force engine, but I'll bet way, way less than the parts for the OS. You might want to check on the cost of parts and local availablity before deciding.

Dont' forget a pipe, although I suppose you could use the same pipe on either engine. The OS didn't run all that well on teh stock plastic pipe, but really woke up with a THS pipe. I'\m sure there are plenty of OFNA pipes that will work great as well.

On a final note, both engines are low-revvers, so that makes them not so good for single speed trannies, like you find in buggies. At least a two speed for a MT, and preferably a 3-speed will work better. Pick a CB/Spur that will barely allow wheelies, and then the 3-speed will give you decent top speed.

The MT crowd seems to like the Picco and LRP 28s these days, so you may want to investigate them as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Engine Lounge All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: