FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
OFNA GTP thoughts & discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> DM-ONE & GTP
View previous topic :: View next topic  

wminmi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: OFNA GTP thoughts & discussion Reply with quote

Just curious if anybody still posts here?

Saw 2 newer threads, but all the rest seem to be 2008/early 2009

*I changed the title of the thread in hopes of drawing some more people in, if there are any lol*

Last edited by wminmi on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking to myself the same thing, I'm looking what do I need to make a ultra lx into a GTP w/out get in the kit. I cant found any info.
wminmi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad there is at least 1 more person here, was starting to wonder LOL

For my conversion, I printed out the GTP & GTP2 manuals and just compared parts. Here is what I changed:

front & rear shock mounts
body mounts
rims & tires
body (of course)
shocks

Changing the shocks is your call though, as I did find where some had just cut the springs down to make them work. I myself just ordered all the GTP shock components to build them. Wasn't cheap by any means, but I simply could not find complete shock sets anywhere online. Even nitrohouse didn't have complete shock sets, just the seperate part numbers.

Oh, and I also added the GTP front and rear sway bars. The original LX bars "may" have worked, but they did mount to the lower arms differently so I just bought the set new.

Hope this helps some.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did the same thing that you did. I look at the instructions and get in the conclusion that the only parts that I have to change was the same ones that you mention. Now I found the front and rear shock towers, body mounts, body, and tires. The only thing I'm having trouble is with the shocks, same as you. Nitrohouse have them in stock but in parts as you mention. Now I'm looking for information and measurements for the DM shocks on the front. One thign I notice is that I can used the rear shocks from the ultra,I may have to get the springs for the GTP, but I'm still in the searching of more information. Any info that you have please posted here I'll be around looking for this thread. I just start like a week ago with this proyect and I would like to have it done for summer.

Thanks

Pd. If any one that is reading this thread and have parts please posted here or send a PM. Paypal is ready!!!
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wminmi, I found some information here http://ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23
Now I kind of confuse on the shocks, according to what came in the Convertion Kit the only thing that change is the springs in the shocks. If this informations is accurate I can build this thing in no time, the only down side is my shocks are so old that they are not adjustable so I have to get me some fron ebay from a newer version. You mention that you have to oder the shocks, can you verify and compared?
BTW what engine are you planing to used?
Thanks
wminmi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I did get the foam front bumper too.....figured hitting a curb at high speed it may be needed lol

Not sure if the DM shocks would work or not, I didn't look into that much.

You just may be able to use your rear shocks with new springs. I do know I saw rear springs for the GTP and they didn't "look" much different than the LX springs. I'm sure they are stiffer though for street use, but other than that, the size/length looked the same.

The front shocks I wanted to go smaller with. With the LX's on mine it looks like the car is trying to pull a wheelie.
I have heard of others just cutting down their springs to work, but when I looked at the stock GTP springs they looked really short and I didn't want to experiment with cutting the long stock LX ones. That and in my opinion, just using shorter springs would allow the stock LX shock shafts to sit about midway up in the shock body if not closer to the top shock cap. I would "think" that the shaft and valve being suspended in the shock/fluid like that would effect handling. I may be totally wrong on that though, again, 90% of all my stuff is off road.

Engine, right now I'm just going to use my stock .26 until it dies, then I have a brand new .32 Axial I'm planning on putting in there.

If I can remind myself a little later I'll snap a pic or 3 of how my conversion sits right now. Body still needs final trimmed and painted (I write notes on the clear body film before I paint of where to cut, trim here, etc lol) but it'll show how mine sits with the front LX shocks. Yes, I can push down on the front and she sits almost level, but again I am thinking using the longer shock shafts and just shorter springs may lead to problems later on down the road....
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shoks for the DM are out of questions a no go., but I found that if you used the front tower from a circle track car then you can used shorted front shocks, but I will have to see it to compared, all my finds are based in parts numbers comparations. I make my plan and a few parts where ordered today, looks like the most expensive part will be the Body and tyres wich I'm fine with that. As soon parts arrive will put together and post some pics. Also may do some triming and cuting to take some weight out this tank lol. About the body I pic the Protoform 1/8 PF8-GT it is the less expensive off all of them and better looking for my taste.
wminmi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't grab any pix yet, got tied up getting the honey do list knocked down a peg.

you ordered the same body i got, the PF8-GT. it's a nice body, fits the conversion rather well :)
wminmi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and you had mentioned trimming some weight....I have been thinking about making a lexan/plexi-glass type chassis for mine. Haven't given it ALOT of thought, but it has crossed my mind....
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yest i pick the pf8 - GT body it really is my second choice, I was looking for the AUDI A4 but is over 100.00, that is way to much for a body. About the trimin weight? yes, here and there I have to look where trim without compromise durability and performance. Don't waste your time doing a plexiglas chasis it will flex too much and compromise suspention geometri and drivability plus is too much time invested. M2C. I cancel the rear shock tower because the part number it is the same in the ultra and GTP, so front shock tower is in order, body post, shock springs,front bumper(just the base) and body.
Do you know or any body reading this thread, How the Solid Center Spool part #:OFN33020 work? How make the car react? It is worth it?
Thats it for now...
wminmi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon fiber maybe? Graphite?

Funny you should mention the solid center, I got one for mine :) Going to use the stock gearing on it for now though, at least till I run it and see how she does, then maybe start playing around with gear choices.

Was thinking of trying a 2-speed, but a buddy of mine got one for his and it was a pain in the rump from the start. Refuses to shift, then when it does it shifts too late or too early :(
Then again, I don't have a nice big area to really utilize the 2-speed, so I'm gonna try the solid center....
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wminmi wrote:
Carbon fiber maybe? Graphite?

Funny you should mention the solid center, I got one for mine :) Going to use the stock gearing on it for now though, at least till I run it and see how she does, then maybe start playing around with gear choices.

Was thinking of trying a 2-speed, but a buddy of mine got one for his and it was a pain in the rump from the start. Refuses to shift, then when it does it shifts too late or too early :(
Then again, I don't have a nice big area to really utilize the 2-speed, so I'm gonna try the solid center....

ABOUT THE CARBON CHASSIS? I'LL TAKE BACK WHAT I TOLD YOU BEFORE, I JUST SAW IN YOUTUBE A DM WITH CARBON FIBER CHASSIS AND THEY TEST THE SPEED WITH CF AND STOCK CHASSIS. IT WAS AROUND 6MPH FASTER WITH THE CARBON FIBER. ANYWAY,I JUST RECEIVE ALL THE PARTS FROM NITROHOUSE (THANK YOU NITROHOUSE FOR PROMPT SHIPPING) I'LL START BULDING LATER.
wminmi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got all my order in too, been working mine over as well. Glad I did, found nothing but heavy thick grease in the diffs :(

Got all my shocks done though, and found that either the previous owner used the wrong front lower arms for an LX, or something is completely amiss....once the new shocks are mounted, the front tires are actually off the ground and the car is resting on the chassis.....something ain't right here :(

Going to get an order ready for nitrohouse:
*gtp front lower arms
*4mm upper arm hinge pins (LX ones are 3mm and are VERY sloppy in the shock tower)

At this rate though I should have just bought the new DM-1 LOL
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I was thinking the same but you have to be wise when buying, I'll go ebay and found a ton of parts for the ultra, if you find a guy with all the parts then your shipping is nothing. I'm fixing my buggy and duing the convertion to GTP, I dont have more than 85.00 the only thing I missing is the body and i found one for 33.00 after shipping. I dont want to put too much in this, it is my off track fun , the big $$ goes to my buggy. I'm save some money doing the kit compared to the ofna kit. I'll post some pics later this week with the job so far done.
wminmi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

few pix for this thread: had my brother powdercoat all the aluminum pieces yellow :)

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> DM-ONE & GTP All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: