FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Acceleration Problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

LukeZar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Acceleration Problem! Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to these forums, and I have a couple of issues with my Hyper ST...I have broken it in fine, it has ran great but then I stopped using it for some time, I pulled it out of my basement the other day, I reset the needle settings too factory, then tuned up the high speed to full power and then the low speed....After I finished the tank of gas, I let it sit for some time, when I came back, It started it up fine, I ran it around but after about 3 minutes of running the truck the acceleration just sucks, I mean before it was a clean start, but then after the 3 minutes the acceleration becomes really slugish. The truck is at a perfect temp, of around 260 - 270...I don't really know what to adjust at this point...So any help from you guys would be awesome...THANKS!!

Also, I have ran about 10 tanks so far, and the same thing happens on each...

Happy Bashing...
RobB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now might be a good time to learn about the engine, and take it apart to inspect it. Tuning issues are hard to impossible to help with online, but to me it sounds like a compression loss at running temp, which might mean a scratch on the piston. There are several engine disassembly, and reassembly "how to"'s out there, look for one, and inspect the engine. If you find nothing wrong with the engine, then you know to look elsewhere. Fuel tank, fuel line, clutch issues, etc...

Good luck, and welcome to the Ofna Forums...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...

Rob B.
steelie600

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say that was a tad too hot richen both needles slightly about 1/8th turn should do it and keep doing so untill you get temp to 220-230 and this may regain power. Worth a shot before stripping engine.
RobB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelie600 wrote:
id say that was a tad too hot richen both needles slightly about 1/8th turn should do it and keep doing so untill you get temp to 220-230 and this may regain power. Worth a shot before stripping engine.

Agree'd... Won't hurt to try, but if you find the same results happening at running temp, then I'd recommend a tear down and inspection so you know one way or the other.

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...

Rob B.
bpoates25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im no pro, however i had the same problem at first. i found the problem was my tunning and most importantly the temp probe. i bought a cheap duratrax temp probe and was getting incorrect readings. my mac was lean and after runnig a few min. she would get sluggish. i think the metal expaneded so much i was having a loss of compression. it was all due to the engine actually running around 290-310. way hot. i got a better probe took several readings at each check, read the thread at the start of the hyper engine post. i also tore down the engine cleaned and inspected everything. (this is a great way to gain knowledge) tuned the high and yes mid then low speed needles. i found with a proper tune and running around at a true 250-260 it screems for a rtr engine.
rob has a great post like i said. set the mid range accordingly and it will make a difference. the mac is a finiky mill. i give it more credit than most people. she likes to run on the hot side. just when you get so hot i noticed a huge loss of power. its not good for these engines to run more than 300 so try a friends probe at the track or re tune a little richer(cooler). stick with it and youll learn what your mill likes. welcome to the thread.
hopefully i have helped some. still tear it down and check it out for sure. good luck!
H9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rely on any temp probe, they all give different readings depending on the brand. Best to just use the 'spit test' - put a bit of saliva on your finger and wipe it on the head. If it sizzles away, its too hot... It should just evaporate.

Temperature gauges cause more drama's than their worth for people starting out. I wish I'd never bought one when I started, probably would have saved a motor or two! Took me two years to learn...

While we're on the subject, tuning by temperature is a waste of time anyhow. Tune it by how it runs, and how much smoke its blowing. You'll get a much better result, but you may need the guidance of someone more experienced if your new. I have no idea what temp my motors are running at, but they produce plenty of power, and produce a nice stream of blue smoke. My RB is now into its 3rd year, with only one rebuild.
bpoates25

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct. i dont use mine anymore. you do learn how to tune with the way the engine feels and acts. i just remember4 when i first started i had to have a temp probe. i didnt know how little you had to tune once you got it in the ball park. it helped me get the temps back down and thus giving my power back. thats all. the spit test and just knowing the engine is all it takes after youve learned.
thats a great point you made. H9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: