FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
ULTRA Capable!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: ULTRA Capable!!!! Reply with quote

Well i.ve been challenged by the guys that i run with to build an ultra series buggy to be competitive with whats currently running at our track. I keep hearing negative things and, i want to shut them up and, build a an ultra MBX buggy to kick their behinds with. this is a current list of plans i have to get me started any insight or advice is welcome and wish me luck. I race a Jammin X1-CR FTE but, want to do this to shut them up.

1. 16mm shocks
2. carbon fiber upgrades to lighten the heavy beast:
a. front and, rear shock towers
b. radio tray
c. front plate
d.center diff plate
e. carbon fiber disc brakes
3.OFNA steel diff ring gears (front and, rear)
4.OFNA 3k-5k-and 7k diff oil to start with
5.Hitec HS985MG steering servo and ,HS645MG Throttle /brake servo
6.OFNA high down force wing
7.OFNA dish wheels with Pro-Line tires
8.Venom 1600mah 5-cell hump pack

If anyone can think of any other mods or upgrades that can be done to this model it would be greatly appreciated.
Is the gearing ok for racing or is it geared more twords speed than torque? Any gear swaps possible? or will a 13 t clutchbell work ok with the stock ratios? I will post pics of this when it is completed. Thanks for your advice and , opinions.
ultra nitro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try running a center torsen diff to control front wheel slippage or 20k silicone in stock center diff.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight:

All i can say is this buggy is heavy. I've found the Center diff brace from the MBX R2 to be lighter than the stock brace. Its not much but its .3 tenths of a gram. (-.3g)

The steel brake system is heavy at 18.8 grams with the padded calipers. Times that by 2 (front and rear ) and ,you get a total of 27.6 grams vs 22.0 grams for the carbon disc and non padded calipers (front and rear)
(-5.6g)

Ive also found that the center diff drives are lighter than the standard out-drives used on the buggies. Using them for out drives everywhere will lighten the rotating mass and, help with acceleration ;as well as overall weight of the buggy.11.1 g for stock and 10.1g for the center drives so if you use the front and ,rear drives for a total of 6 you save 6 grams of weight. (SOME MODELS USE NON SET SCREW OUT DRIVES FOR THE REAR AXLES/I MEASURED FOR COMPARISON THE SET SCREW TYPE W/SET SCREWS IN PLACE FOR THE CENTER DRIVE AXLE)(-.6.0g)

So a grand total of 11.9 grams or .42oz

Its not much but there's lots more to come.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK alittle more on weight. I was digging through my old stuff and found an old Associated RC-10 Buggy chassis that was made from non-woven carbon fiber or maybe its graphite not sure but its very lite. I remember buying the car for parts for my other buggy. The chassis was not cut very well and i didnt use it in any way till now. There's enough their to use to make the center diff plate the front brace and the servo tray from it. SO im gonna save alot of money and use it to lighten the car even further. Ill let you know the difference in weight when i get them cut and drilled.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower center of gravity:

Well, I lowered the gas tank,servo tray and, battery box. the servo tray was dropped about 3mm which put the steering servo cage on the chassis. The tabs on the bottom of the battery box have been ground off flat and, where the servo tray mounts to the box had to be trimmed as well to level out the servo tray.I ended up using kings head servo tray mounts that was on A Jammin x1cr buggy. you could probably use the stock plastic ones that comes on a jammin buggy, those should work as well.There the perfect lowering height for the project. The gas tank was just a matter of removing the 2 plastic spacers between the screw and tank. It will put the back of the tank on the chassis. I used a thin piece of rubber under it to keep from chaffing the plastic and cut 2 small pieces of gas line to use as vibration dampners between the tank and screws. A larger piece is needed for the rear post.I had no problems mounting the rear chassis brace back on to the rear diff case after lowering the battery box and servo tray. Next i will cut the lower part of the battery box to lower the lid down , Just enough to cover the 5 cell hump pack or no lower than where the servo tray mounts to the battery box. I will have to drill deeper into where the screws mount for the lid so i can screw the lid back down. As i do more ill let you know. Thanks for reading.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to trim the side guard on the passenger side to fit around the battery box and, front servo for it to fit back on the car.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 16mm shocks sounded good but there a bit pricey for me at this time. My alternative is to use a set of 13mm Jammin X1-CR shocks that i have an extra pair of. They worked pretty good on the Jammin so, i don't see why they wont work on the ultra. For those wanting to try these shocks i believe they come on the new LX ONE as the standard shock. I will however need to use the jammin shock mounts that screw into the shock towers to get them to work. The diameter of the shock cap on the jammin shock (that come off a jammin)are larger than the standard OFNA shock cap. Not sure if the LX ONE is the same cap or not.

So far this is what i've accomplished to date:

( center if gravity:)
lowered gas tank, servo tray, battery box.

(lower rotating mass)
Carbon brake discs
center diff drives throughout

(lower overall weight)
Graphite servo tray
Graphite center diff brace
Graphite front diff plate
Graphite front steering link
Lighter Jammin rear turnbuckles

I will be checking out theses new aluminum center drive axles that seems to be the "THING" now on theses new vehicles and ,see if i can find a set that will fit length wise and, maybe try a set of those to lighten the rotating mass and overall weight. I do know the universal jammin (center)drive shafts do not fit the mbx. thay are too long.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep posting the progress, very interesting.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i plan to. Not sure how many posts your supposed to have before you can post pics but ill have pics of all this pretty soon. Thanks for the interest. The pics will show a few surprises im not mentioning yet. Lets just say i'm gonna hate getting it dirty. Stay tuned for more shortly.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just a small update. I took all my hinge pins through out and, polished them up to a mirror like finish and cleaned out all the holes they slide into. A free suspension is a happy suspension.
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK a little more on weight . its not much but its not needed either. I trimmed the first top portion of the side guards . I got a weight savings of 6.6 grams or 0.23 of an ounce. so we have a total now of 18.65 grams or 0.65 oz. Still working on cutting out the graphite pieces ; stay tuned for more weight savings. Ill be cutting off any excess from the brake levers as well that is not used. Its said to adjust the arm so you have 3mm clearance(on the front brake lever) of the spur gear mounting nuts. Any that sticks out on the other side will get cut off flush. (including the rear lever if applicable).
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another recap on weight. I was looking at those huge chromed rear turnbuckles and ,figured something had to be lighter than those that i could use. Being that i have a spare Jammin X1CR buggy laying around i decided to take one of those off and see what it weighed against the stock ones. Well how does .59oz (or 16.8g)each for the stock ones versus .48oz (or 13.5g)each for the jammin turnbuckles. I would rather have titianium or aluminum ones but will use these for now. So total weight loss is for the turnbuckles is -.12oz.(or.33 grams) add this to our total weight loss so far and we now have -.77 oz.(or 18.98g).
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait to see this Ultra perform in the track once you finish. Can be a good with the must expensive buggys...
thunderbolt427

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking at the the rear drive axles and all i can say are those things are thick for bashing. My plan is to take them and mill them a little thinner on a lathe to lighten them up some. same with the center axles as well. Will keep you posted on this as well. Just got my first graphite piece cut out and it was the front diff plate The stock aluminum plate weighs .25oz.(7.1g) will let you know what the new graphite piece weighs after drilling. Still looking for aluminum axles but ,may use the stock ones till then.
VWVR6_T

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get this carbon fiber pices or plates?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: