FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
center diff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

bpoates25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: center diff? Reply with quote

i didnt run my st for a while and then i pulled her out ran a few times then decided to rebuild complete truck. when i took apart my center diff it was dry except for residue. gears look fine. checked it all out after cleaning no metal flakes or nothing. anyways i built it back filled with 10k. i have let the truck sit for a few weeks as im waiting on clutch parts. picked up the chasis spun the diff and noticed it was oily on the outside of case. could oil be slowly leaking out the set screw? on side of diff housing.

has anyone had prob. with this and whats the most common reason?
thanks
j. oates
triplebvalp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bpoates25,

Yes, mine leaked also. In my case, the leak was from the screws on the front part of the diff (not the spur gear side).

I took the screws out, one at a time, and wraped the first 1/4" of the threads with teflon tape. Seems to have cured the problem.
Casketman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil can leak out from the spur gear and outdrives. Most of the time its from the gear.

One tip I always do with my diff cups is set the cup(open side down) on a flat,level surface. Take something like a strip of paper or a buisness card and while having a light hold on the cup,try to slide the card or paper under the cup at different areas. This will help you find the high and low sides of the cup meaning its not even or level all around making it hard to get a good seal.

Take some sandpaper and gently sand the cup. Just slide it across the sand paper. This should level out those high and low areas. You dont want to sand to much. This will cause a issue with the mesh with the gears. 2-3 swipes of the cup over the paper should be enough to help level the cup out.

Test again and repeat if needed.

As for the outdrives. Make sure you grease those things up good. Not only does it help keep your outdrives moving smoothly but it also acts as a 'dam' to the oil keeping it in the cup and not on your chassis.

I put grease on the whole outdrive and then try to put a dab in the hole of the cup and gear. Then I slide the outdrive in,twisting as I go to help even out the grease. Wipe away any grease that spills out from between the drive and bearing and you are good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bpoates25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. ill try these tips out and re fill the diff. nice to hear from you old school st guys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper ST Truggy All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: