FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
HELP!! Seized engine??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager
View previous topic :: View next topic  

jtroy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: HELP!! Seized engine?? Reply with quote

Hello all....I have an Ofna Ravager with about a half gallon through it.....basically last summer I broke it in, "winterized" it (keep all my nitro models inside out of the heat/cold). Put generous amt of after-run oil in cylinder, pulled starter a couple times...put a few drops more in and put plug back on.

Today...got it out, fired right off and it ran about 30 seconds and died.....really humid today so I thought perhaps it might need a little HSN adjust. I decided to try and start it again first and it was impossible to crank over....acted just like a flooded engine. I took off the glow plug...still no go. Drivetrain and clutch bell all move freely....just acts like it seized up.

I've heard about some folks using WD 40 or heat to free up engines......if nothing works can I take the head off without removing the engine from the buggy? I swear if this engine is shot this soon I'm gonna swap horses and go electric.....granted, all the time I "flew" planes I rarely had a nitro engine that ran from idle to WOT as well as the rc car/truck engines do....but they do seem to be much more likely to really screw up.....than again, it's probably my luck.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. The buggy is stock except for normal electronic (servo/batt, etc) upgrades.

Also....if I decided to go with a want/drill starter anyone know which way to go is best?

Thanks in advance....I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Troy
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to just bite the bullet and pull the engine. Yes you can take the head out with the engine in the car but that won't tell you much. You really need to pull the engine and remove the backplate to see if the conrod has broken or not.
jtroy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...thanks. I guess I will try to get that done here pretty quickly. I'd hate to think that it was just stuck at TDC or something only to have a broken rod the entire time!! I'll try to keep the thread updated. Thanks all, Troy
breathing nitro

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a suggestion any time you store a motor for the winter it is a good idea to pull it from the car first. winterize just as you did and put it in a ziplock bag. then when getting ready to run it pull the head, backplate and check everything over and oil the bearing.
jtroy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....I would never have even thought of that idea. It's probably the way I should go seeing as how I will sometimes let the car sit for quite some time between runs. Oh well.....I need to get this one broken down so that I can see for sure what the heck is going on. I will let everyone know as soon as I get it done......is it possible to post pics here in these forums if I do manage to get it going soon??
Thanks, Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: