FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
My truggy project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Blazer SST
View previous topic :: View next topic  

muswagon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: My truggy project Reply with quote

No chassis yet. Wrong upper arms pins. Just roughing things together so far. Upper extenders will be milled shorter and thinner to work better with the 9.5 MBX upper arms, they will also be poished like the lower arms. They work perfect as is with the Violator upper arms, but those arms look a bit cheesy IMO.

Socal, those are the brand new shock towers I mentioned. Those are the upper ally arms as well. Make me an offer for all of it. Shipping is $10, no matter what parts you want (Priority envelope)

Caster can be adjusted, however, I have no idea what the initial caster is or what it can be adjusted to. I will have to peg those numbers before I make the chassis, however, I guess I cant mess too much with the kickup as the steering and front bulk are made to fit stock 9.5 kickup.

socalbash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well muswagon ... its definately progressing. Glad to see you aint a quitter. I prefer the CNC too over the graphite, but ... well its all a personal choice either way. Now that weve redesigned the tab stops on the chassis - the Graphite towers are rock solid.

I'll pm ya about the graphite and stuff ...

Why'd decide against the alum front upper arms from CoolBillet? Thought they would be a few min's w/ a dremel away from being "the ones"??? I was hoping you were onto to something good there... I do sorta like the extender approach? Who made those? I got lots of 9.5 MBX arms laying around. I'll buy some of those parts your unloading if a pair of those extenders come along with ..... :-)

Im concerned about the lower arms after looking closer at them mounted on the gearbox.

Looks like the shock mounting point that we're using is right about where the lower arms support pillar is sitting - so u have to drill the shock mount hole to the inside of it, which will give ya some funky geometry [IMHO]. If you try to the left - the front shocks appear to be far laid down and will be even worse ... I ll be very interested in what you come up with there. dang .. kinda spendy to experiment w/ $110 alum arms !!!! Wish these guys would get off their arse and re program for a correct arm!

DID u make the extenders or utilize an already existing design/part?

OK - sorry, but here we go again on the caster. I really think your hyper analyzing this item. If you were to go stock 9.5 chassis kick up in front, run stock twin titan caster, and Jammin CRT rims, with either the new Boa II tires coming out or the PL CFMT's [which are rather flat and square] you'll find the truck will turn exceedingly well ... I'll bet ... even better than the other truggy you own ;-) I also have both ... and thats my opinion and findings at my local track[s].
muswagon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extenders are just tapped aluminum tubes, I got them from Jim at Native Racing, but they should be pretty easy to duplicate.

Yep, the shock mounting will be a bit weird, but, I think a touch of dremeling should clear it up, hopefully not too funky on the geometry, shoudl know soon (if I get more ME time from the kids).

The ally uppers are the one IMO, just dont have the equipment or the patience to make em work. Figured you guys would have more luck.
RebelYell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new developments on this project - looks rather interesting so far.

Whats the latest?
muswagon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measured what I need for a chassis, taking the stock 9.5 chassis to a laser cutting place this week, and will have one made that is about 1.5" longer. I am going with a Jammin CR radio tray and radio box, as it allows a laydown servo and the radio box is much lower profile and lower CG than the 9.5 series.

Actually going to use the Violator upper front arms and those adapters, it actually looks better than the MBX arms.

Now that Xmas is over, I should have more time for it.
socalbash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
muswagon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. Going to the laser cutters on Monday (sneak away from work) to get the chassis done. It will retain the 101mm front center CVD, and will use a 154mm rear CVD from the MSR 777T. I will be using a MBX5 radio tray and batt box, as they MUCH cheaper on fleabay than the CR ones.

Anyone have a 9.5 rear wing mount assembly and a front bumper, new?
muswagon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socal,

As per our center CVD cup discussion. The 9.5, XB8 and Mugen MBX5 all use 5mm ends on the center cups, the rest including the CRT use 8mm on their cups. Kinda weird.

So, the center CVD's will use a MBX5 buggy front center CVD, and the rear will be the 777T MSR CVD with a Mugen X5 cup (converts from 8mm to 5mm). So, that problem is solved.

The shock mounting is actually working out quite well.

Still need a 9.5 wing stay and front bumper though.....hint hint
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Blazer SST All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: