FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
lx pro truggy conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

raceforlife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: lx pro truggy conversion Reply with quote

what parts do I need to convert my LX pro into a truggy?
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: lx pro truggy conversion Reply with quote

raceforlife wrote:
what parts do I need to convert my LX pro into a truggy?

You should PM or email Motionmachine999, he is the Ultra series to truggy master. He sells kits with everything you need for a conversion for a pretty good price.

http://www.ofna.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9
hybridom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motion's kit rocks!!!!!!!!
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I get alot of PM's regarding this subject so Im posting this to eliminate alot of repeat questions.

Quote:
Whats it take to convert my "updated" Ultra (inset your particular model here) into a truggy?

NOTE: The Older Ultra models (Worlds, GT, GT LX, GTP and Monster Blazer) can disregard most of this, as the kit was originally design'd to be a BOLT ON KIT for those particular models.
"Updated Ultra's"- You'll have to swap out the trans top plate for sure, and most likely the radio plate once the trans is converted. The larger spur gear included in the GT kit will likely come in contact with the radio plate and/or throttle/brake servo.
Basically, my kit/s retrofit the MP/Dominators 65T plastic spur gear onto the Ultra chassis using a HD Spool with a modified 6065 T-6 Hub without the need of extensive mods, or interferring with routine maint, while also retaining a factory stock like appearance.
The main shaft of MY HD Spool is superior to that of the stock GTP solid center kit, but is servicable using the mainshaft of the GTP solid center kit.
READ- No need in hacking up, rearranging, or making swiss cheese of your chassis in the process and every step has been taken to make it completely servicable using as many stock "over the counter" parts as possible so you dont have to rely on me for all the "common" replacement parts.

To increase chassis stiffness, I highly suggest you use the included 7075 T-6 radio plate "AS IS". IMO, the "updated" Ultra chassis with the radio plate cut in half has only contributed to chassis flex as it creates a hinge point right in the center of the chassis. To do so, you'll need to change it back to the older Ultra chassis thats more rigid. That requires some changes -all bolt on and a few more parts that are not included in the conversion kit, specifically,,,,,,
*30520- Post, Radio Tray, 3 PCS........................................... $9.25
*30560- Antenna Tube Protector and Mount............................ $2.50
*30651- Center Top "Y" Plate, Ultra, Blue (modified slightly).... $6.95
*34030- Water Proof Radio Box............................................. $11.95
*34070- Rear Brace Plate, Blue.............................................. $8.95
Other........
33010- Body Mount Kit (truck or Hummer)............................ $9.95
Your choice of 1/8th scale Truck Body.................................. $25.00+/-

Depending on what flat Joint caps (removable or not), you MAY need these with the GT Kit (center solid spool).....
30170- Joint Caps, Brake Disk.............................................. $9.95
94036- 5X5 set screws...............................................maybe $2.00
Note: With the GT "Diff" Kit, disregard as you'll keep the stock center diff and stock flat joint caps.

31010- HD Ring Gear is a MUST UPGRADE for both F/R diff assemblies when considering an Ultra truggy conversion, and I highly suggest you further shim the pinions for optimal lash...

Wheel Options for Standard MT tires.... You'll want zero offset 17mm or wide offset 17mm MT wheels, there are numerous options available but here are some inexpensive wheels from Ofna's Dominator.
81153- Wheels, MT 3 Split Spoke, 4 Pack, Chrome................ $21.95
81154- Wheels, MT 3 Split Spoke, 4 Pack, Yellow.................. $19.95
81155- Wheels, MT 3 Split Spoke, 4 Pack, White................... $19.95
Plus your choice of standard MT tires................................... $40.00+/-

If you go forward with the truggy conversion and wish to retain the existing TRUNK (oversized radio box) you can modify/cut the included 7075 T-6 Radio Plate to match existing (align the post holes) and drill the 2 holes necessary in the radio tray that secure it to your existing trunk.
Note: Standing up the steering servo will NOT affect handling what so ever. IMO, it makes routine maint easier and further isolates the servo from chassis vibration and removes unnecessary stress from the servo mounting tabs.
Once the steering servo is stood up, you'll need to flip the servo saver upper horn 180* (puts the linkage inboard). That would be a good time to shim (tighten) the servo saver to remove some but NOT ALL of the slop to prevent "power drifting", then reuse existing linkage to reconnect.
If you must remove the front chassis brace, substitute with "Y" plate.

Other things to note. You can retain the stock center diff with the GT "Diff" Kit, but it complicates setting up the F/R brake bias read requires mod to the rear brake linkage (Z bend) to clear the top of the larger spur gear. AND requires custom/modified 65T"M" SPUR GEARS. Its possible to modify the stock spur gears yourself with a dremel tool w/ drum sander, but it requires some patience along with much precission. The plastic spurs (2) included in the GT"Diff" Kit are machined and substituted in place of the solid center spool.
When retaining the center diff ie GT "Diff" Kit, I'd suggest 10K wt diff lube or thicker to prevent the front tires from balloning constantly.
Replacement RTR 65T"M" (modified) Spur Gears are ONLY available from me at a cost of $8.95 EACH plus S&H so I suggest you buy them in bulk- 3 Packs for $30.00 (includes S&H). There is an optional STEEL 62TM spur gear (CNC modified) available for the GT "Diff" Kit but its pricey, $50.00.

The GT Kit uses stock spur gears so there is an optional Steel Spur option available at nitrohouse or LHS..
Steel or Plastic spur (stock or modified), its very important to set the lash properly and I suggest you check it often. I quickly check mine every 4-5 tanks of fuel, or between races, rarely do I need to readjust.
I run the plastic spurs myself with exceptional results, so dont think you GOT to have the Steel option.

Personally, I like the solid center spool (GT Kit) cause it applies the power equally (eliminates the center diff from unloading) to both F/R and greatly simplifies the brake linkage arrangement. With the GT Kit (spool), you'll lose F/R brake bias so I suggest you transfer the rear brake assembly to the front (dual disk arrangement) and simply eliminate the rear brake linkage.

If you lack throttle control, or you primarily race, you might consider the GT Diff Kit as it is far more forgiving and easier to control..
The GT Kit is a no holds bar, poop and get Kit..... I bash and race with my GT Kit with exceptional results.

Although Im certain I could buy the latest greatest most expensive truggy to go bashing and/or racing with, but I like the fact that the Ultra chassis will likely still be in production long after all them "others" have long been discontinued.....
Remember the MP and Dominator? Me neither.

BOTH the basic GT Kit (center spool, shown below) and GT "Diff" Kit cost the same, $55.00 and that includes Priority S&H...
I accept paypal cash at ronanddeb@hometelco.net or USPS MO's.

The $55.00 GT Kit (shown) includes:
1- Plastic 65 tooth spur gear
1- HD Center spool
1- New 7075 aluminum center plate (Anodized stock blue or natural)
1- New 7075 aluminum radio servo plate (Anodized stock blue or natural)
1- Trans Lift Kit w/ hardware
1- Instructions
And Priority S&H (US only)
The GT Diff Kit includes 2 modified Plastic Spur Gears in place of the spool.

I think Ive cover'd it all. If I've missed something or you need further assistance, just ask and I'll try to help answer any question/s you may have if I can..

Thanks
MotionMachine

PS, heres some pics of my Truggy....

drc323

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still make the kit ? If so pm me back thanks
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drc323 wrote:
Do you still make the kit ? If so pm me back thanks

To: MotionMachine999
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:01 pm
Subject: question
Hey there man i have a ultra lx comp 2 if i buy this kit is there anything eles i have to get are do??

What more do you want me to tell you that was not previously stated???
drc323

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fought the link and everything i needed to know sorry someone just gave me a name and sayed email you.

Thanks
Calvin TEAM PTI
MotionMachine999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ultra LX Series All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: