FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Clutch bearing probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rashnu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Clutch bearing probs Reply with quote

Ok have started having a problem the last two outings with my ravanger. Around the fifth or sixth tank my clutch bearings are locking up and getting totally destroyed. Someone said that they thought the clutch was improperly shimmed but when i take the clutch apart there was no shims to be found... and when i do put 2 new bearings in the clutch bell and tighten it down there is a very small amount of play in the clutch bell. Is this normal??? What do i need to check, or what might be causing the bearings to keep going out... I'm on my second set in just about 10 tanks...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rash
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch bearing probs Reply with quote

Rashnu wrote:
Ok have started having a problem the last two outings with my ravanger. Around the fifth or sixth tank my clutch bearings are locking up and getting totally destroyed. Someone said that they thought the clutch was improperly shimmed but when i take the clutch apart there was no shims to be found... and when i do put 2 new bearings in the clutch bell and tighten it down there is a very small amount of play in the clutch bell. Is this normal??? What do i need to check, or what might be causing the bearings to keep going out... I'm on my second set in just about 10 tanks...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rash

Shimming can and will change with age, different clutch bells, different bearings...Even if it didn't come with shims, you should pick some up. It'a always nice to have em around...

As to whats destroying them:
Heat (slipping clutch shoes)
Excessive pressure (bad gear mesh, improperly aligned gears, or motor mount is slipping)
Excessive movement (improper shimming)

Inspect your clutch shoes and springs. If they are loose or weak and slip excessively they will generate a lot of heat that will fry the bearings.

Gear mesh problems are one of the most common. The spur and clutch bell have to be meshed well and aligned straight to each other. If the gears mesh is loose, tight, or slightly c*** at an angle, that will put pressure on the mesh which will be transfered right to the bearings. Also if your jumping a lot without good chassis stiffness the chassis can flex enough to throw the mesh off and grind the gears together. Also if the motor is not secured completely it can move and throw off the mesh.

Shimming is very important. The clutch bell should move but only a 1/2mm or so. The movement back and forth should be as minimal as you can make it and still allow the bell to spin freely......
Rashnu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok will get a shim kit . I thought i had the mesh set correctly is there a four sure method to setting the proper mesh and gear angle. This is my first real nitro so any tricks or tips would be appreciated

Thanks
Rash
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rashnu wrote:
ok will get a shim kit . I thought i had the mesh set correctly is there a four sure method to setting the proper mesh and gear angle. This is my first real nitro so any tricks or tips would be appreciated

Thanks
Rash

Well the suggested method for setting mesh is to run a slip of notebook paper between the gears. The paper spaces the gears apart slightly...That being said, i could never get that to work for me. I just eyeball the alignment and adjust the mesh/engine placement by moving the engine and rolling the buggy back and forth listening to the gears. A little practice and you will hear the difference in a loose mesh and one thats too tight...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Ravager All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: